Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Garmin Zumo 660 NOW RELEASED!!!!  (Read 37142 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: Garmin Zumo 660 NOW RELEASED!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »

I would think weather radar would be a no brainer  :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »

From CES in Las Vegas...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Spider Pig

• CVO1: 2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »

I'm not too familiar with the NAVs, but my hubby and I have been eyeing them for months. Is the 550 and the 660 worth the extra bucks?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:30 PM »

I'm not too familiar with the NAVs, but my hubby and I have been eyeing them for months. Is the 550 and the 660 worth the extra bucks?
660 was just released yesterday and is not yet available for sale so can't really speak on how it's going to be in the real world. The 550 has been out for several years and many of us here use it and have found them to be reliable, and worth the expense. If you don't need one right away you may want to wait until the 660's become available to the public and some reviews can get posted, if you want to do something right away I would suggest the 550. 

IMO from what I'm hearing so far with the differences between the units I would not upgrade to a 660.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »

660 was just released yesterday and is not yet available for sale so can't really speak on how it's going to be in the real world. The 550 has been out for several years and many of us here use it and have found them to be reliable, and worth the expense. If you don't need one right away you may want to wait until the 660's become available to the public and some reviews can get posted, if you want to do something right away I would suggest the 550. 

IMO from what I'm hearing so far with the differences between the units I would not upgrade to a 660.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Gary, would you happen to know if anyone makes gps for bikes that include real time weather radar?? I held off on the 550 hoping for that in the next gen Zumo ..... but ..... well here we are  :nixweiss: :drink:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »

Gary, would you happen to know if anyone makes gps for bikes that include real time weather radar?? I held off on the 550 hoping for that in the next gen Zumo ..... but ..... well here we are  :nixweiss: :drink:
Howie,
Garmin 478 comes to mind, but not sure that's the right model or not. If Porthole (Duane) or Hard10 (AJ) see this they will be able to give you the correct model but there is one that does that I believe. This specific model I don't think was made for motorcycles, but I believe it is marine grade which would make it waterproof. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »

Howie,
Garmin 478 comes to mind, but not sure that's the right model or not. If Porthole (Duane) or Hard10 (AJ) see this they will be able to give you the correct model but there is one that does that I believe. This specific model I don't think was made for motorcycles, but I believe it is marine grade which would make it waterproof. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Thanks, I would think that would be a given for a bike. Guess there's not much of a demand for it or that feature would be more prevalent.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »

Howie,

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Howie, the model 478 and 378 are marine units that have real time weather capabilities. Being that these are marine units, they come with marine charts preloaded. The 478 is for Coastal Waterways while the 378 is for Inland Lakes. Both accept the GXM 30 which will allow you for a monthly fee to receive XM NEXRAD weather. You can also receive XM radio for a fee. The cheapest weather subscription is $29.99 per month (called the Fisherman subscription) so it's a little expensive. However, it is invaluable in certain instances.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »

Howie, the model 478 and 378 are marine units that have real time weather capabilities. Being that these are marine units, they come with marine charts preloaded. The 478 is for Coastal Waterways while the 378 is for Inland Lakes. Both accept the GXM 30 which will allow you for a monthly fee to receive XM NEXRAD weather. You can also receive XM radio for a fee. The cheapest weather subscription is $29.99 per month (called the Fisherman subscription) so it's a little expensive. However, it is invaluable in certain instances.
Thanks AJ!! To me, on a bike over the road, it seems like a weather radar is a no brainer. $30 a month seems a little much however. Do they require an annual subscription or can it be seasonal (monthly).

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »

Thanks AJ!! To me, on a bike over the road, it seems like a weather radar is a no brainer. $30 a month seems a little much however. Do they require an annual subscription or can it be seasonal (monthly).

It used to be that you can turn it off once a year (off season for fishing). The last time I tried doing it, they gave me some grief about a reconnect fee. I'm not sure what the policy is now as I'm using it year round.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »

For that kinda monthly subscription, and how often I need it, I'll use this weather service! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »

I guess on SEUC the lack of XM is no biggie, but I was hoping for a better weather solution.... :smilie_daumenneg:

Actually, it is.  I you are listening to XM on the HK radio, and using the GPS on the Zumo at the same time, the GPS won't cut in on the XM radio to give you the turn by turn.  If you are using both through the Zumo, then you will have the cut in for the directions.  So, actually, it is a big deal.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I think that's how it works.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »

Actually, it is.  I you are listening to XM on the HK radio, and using the GPS on the Zumo at the same time, the GPS won't cut in on the XM radio to give you the turn by turn.  If you are using both through the Zumo, then you will have the cut in for the directions.  So, actually, it is a big deal.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I think that's how it works.

Since the Garmin 478 was brought up above, on these units you have the option of the verbal instructions being announced as in they can be turned off.

Although what you can't do yet is adjust the verbal instructions and XM volumes independently. The voice announcement is a bit louder then the XM and a bit annoying in that aspect.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »

I turn mine on and off with the riding season
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:42 PM »

I am not sure of the functions of the 550 but it looks like the buttons on the side are much easier to push than a touch screen.  I don't see the same buttons on the 660.  I would think that a touch screen is harder to use with gloves on.  Oh well my $.02

Topper

I am torn between waiting for the 660 and some reviews or getting the 550
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.