Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: What do I need to install a Road Tech Zumo 665 on a 2011 StreetGlide?  (Read 9911 times)

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl

I've read a bunch of threads regarding the installation of various accessories on a CVO streetglide but I'm still uncertain about installing the RT Zumo 665.

What needs to be installed to use the Road Tech Zumo 665 on a FLHXSE2? I want to mount the unit on the fairing and I would like to access the XM radio via the GPS through the stock radio and have the voice prompts through the radio as well.

thanks in a advance!

Erich

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: What do I need to install a Road Tech Zumo 665 on a 2011 StreetGlide?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:40:27 AM »

It is an easy install. A through the fairing mount is nice but you will not be able to adjust the angle of the GPS screen once it is installed. It may end up not at the angle you prefer. A handlebar mount is adjustable so you may like that aspect of it. All the ires will run inside the cowling. You will have a power wire, you can connect to the cigarette lighter for power, this power goes off with the bike so the GPS will shut down and turn on with the ignition switch. Mount the GPS XM puck on top of the radio it will work there just fine. Run a 3.5mm Stereo extension cable from the audio output port (on the wiring harness) to the Auxiliary Input on the front of the radio (or install an additional Aux input port on the back of the radio) and you are done unless you want to make and take phone calls via the GPS Bluetooth interface. If you want the phone call function buy an H-D Bomm (www.hdbomm.com) and you are finished every thing. The radio must be in the Aux input mode in order for you to hear every thing from the GPS, turn prompts, XM, MP3 and phone.

The 665 is a nice unit with nexrad radar which comes in handy.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »

It is an easy install. A through the fairing mount is nice but you will not be able to adjust the angle of the GPS screen once it is installed.

That's an easily defeatable shortcoming.  When I added the fairing mounted GPS to the 05 a few months ago Chip was kind enough to send me a link to a small intermediate articulating bracket that mounted between the fairing mount and the GPS back mount.  Now the thing can swivel anywhere you want it.

Just did a quick look and couldn't find the link he'd sent.  Send a PM his way for the info again.  The part is out there tough.  Shipping and all it was less than ten bucks also.

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »

Run a 3.5mm Stereo extension cable from the audio output port (on the wiring harness) to the Auxiliary Input on the front of the radio (or install an additional Aux input port on the back of the radio)

If you plug the GPS into the Auxiliary Input don't you disable the radio an IPOD sound from coming through the speakers.?

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:01:48 PM »

Thanks Bissjim for the reply.
I would like to have the unit wired inside the fairing without using the cigarette lighter. The HD catalog states this unit is not compatable with the 2011/2012CVO Streetglide but a few members have it installed on there Streetglides. I'm pretty handy in the garage but wiring isn't a strong point for me so I would have the dealer do the work. I'm looking for some information to bring with me to the dealer. I plan on going back to the dealer soon to speak to one of the tech's to see if there are up to speed on this install.

Twolanerider,
That sounds like a must have for the fairing mount and would appreciate any assistance hunting down the accessory to allow the unit to swivel on the fairing mount.   

Thanks again for the replies!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »

Twolanerider,
That sounds like a must have for the fairing mount and would appreciate any assistance hunting down the accessory to allow the unit to swivel on the fairing mount.   

Thanks again for the replies!

Send a pm to Chip ( SBB ) for a link to the part.   That's who was good enough to send the info to me originally and now I've lost track of it. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »

Run a 3.5mm Stereo extension cable from the audio output port (on the wiring harness) to the Auxiliary Input on the front of the radio (or install an additional Aux input port on the back of the radio)
If you plug the GPS into the Auxiliary Input don't you disable the radio an IPOD sound from coming through the speakers.?

If you run the GPS outputs to the AUX input on the radio, yes, you lose all other inputs on the radio IF you want the GPS to talk to you through the speakers.  In this particular case, there would be no advantage in buying the Roadtech 665 over the regular Zumo 665.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the main advantage of the Roadtech (HD) version is that it will allow full functionality of the radio while still talking to you for directions IF you also install the NIM (Navigation Interface Module) that HD makes.  The NIM wiring harness is not stock on the SESG, so that would have to be added as well...that is the reason they (HD) say the RT 660/665 will not work on the SESG.  But it can be done, and has been done by some members here.  The only thing you CAN'T do with the RT version, NIM, and wiring harness is listen to MP3 tunes loaded onto the Roadtech 660/665...if you want to do that, you still have to have the stereo patch cord from the unit to the AUX input, but who GAS about the MP3 capabilites of the RT when you've got XM, Ipod, FM, MP3 CD, and AM on the radio?  I'm also assuming that the SESG has the XM module already on the radio?  If so, the only extra advantage of the Roadtech 665 over the 660 is the weather radar function which requires the Garmin XM antenna module.  So, if the SESG already has the HD XM radio module and antenna, the RT 665 would only be using the Garmin XM function for Radar, and if for some reason one wanted to have that XM inputting to the radio, which would still require the use of the 3.5mm stereo cable to the AUX input on the radio, and you're back to square one.

There are folks on here who know a lot more about the electronic functions on the HK radio and how it all interfaces with both regular Garmin products, and the Roadtech version of the same product, than I do, so someone please correct me if I've misinterpreted anything in the sequence of operation stated above.  But either way, it can be done.  It all depends on how important a "seamless" audible GPS direction is to you.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »

If you run the GPS outputs to the AUX input on the radio, yes, you lose all other inputs on the radio IF you want the GPS to talk to you through the speakers.  In this particular case, there would be no advantage in buying the Roadtech 665 over the regular Zumo 665.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the main advantage of the Roadtech (HD) version is that it will allow full functionality of the radio while still talking to you for directions IF you also install the NIM (Navigation Interface Module) that HD makes.  The NIM wiring harness is not stock on the SESG, so that would have to be added as well...that is the reason they (HD) say the RT 660/665 will not work on the SESG.  But it can be done, and has been done by some members here.  The only thing you CAN'T do with the RT version, NIM, and wiring harness is listen to MP3 tunes loaded onto the Roadtech 660/665...if you want to do that, you still have to have the stereo patch cord from the unit to the AUX input, but who GAS about the MP3 capabilites of the RT when you've got XM, Ipod, FM, MP3 CD, and AM on the radio?  I'm also assuming that the SESG has the XM module already on the radio?  If so, the only extra advantage of the Roadtech 665 over the 660 is the weather radar function which requires the Garmin XM antenna module.  So, if the SESG already has the HD XM radio module and antenna, the RT 665 would only be using the Garmin XM function for Radar, and if for some reason one wanted to have that XM inputting to the radio, which would still require the use of the 3.5mm stereo cable to the AUX input on the radio, and you're back to square one.

There are folks on here who know a lot more about the electronic functions on the HK radio and how it all interfaces with both regular Garmin products, and the Roadtech version of the same product, than I do, so someone please correct me if I've misinterpreted anything in the sequence of operation stated above.  But either way, it can be done.  It all depends on how important a "seamless" audible GPS direction is to you.

TC....FYI..the SESG does not come with the XM module from the factory...that was an entire separate thread about adding the 6B  connector to install it. Then you need the bracket to mount the module under the radio since there is no room on top since you have the IPOD module and amp up there already.

Erich...see if this thread hepls....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66425.0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:41:43 PM by mjb765 »

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »

Thanks fella's. All good ideas above but as mentioned theCVO streetglide isnt set up for a fixed mount Zumo 665 and I would really like to go the seemless route.

I did read that, thanks Mike. I'll show it to the tech's but it seems to address a different issue in that it refers to the XM module and other accessories. I just dont know if that will work?

I'm going to start yet another topic to see if anyone who had the Zumo 665 installed on the 2011 CVO streetglide at a dealer. Perhaps they can provide an itemized list of the parts used?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »

I have the RT 665 on my FLHXSE2. It is not a paticularly hard mod - it is rather tedious - and the method I came up with is a "no easily going back" mod. However, once completed. it puts the SESG2/3 in the baselined "Touring" wiring so that any and all HD electronic accessories can be used. I would suggest going to the dealer and get some proper color-coded wire so that the bike can be serviced properly should any issue arise. If all you are doing is adding the NIM, you do not need to buy an NUOH (Non-Ultra Overlay Harness). The bottom line to cut the connector being used for the ipod module and make it a fully pinned "6B" connection. Go here and start reading at reply #38:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52965.30

Now - the thread above is specific to adding a CB module but creating the 6B connector is the same for all future accessories. The one thing you will need to do for the NIM only install is to save a good length of the yellow pair wires (CAN + and CAN - ) presently connected on the 35 pin connector. To do so - disassemble the harness on the 23 pin side of the radio enough to cut the yellow wires so you can swing them over to the NIM harness and attach them to the yellow wires inside the NIM harness.  The NIM harness will be pinned to the 35 pin connector on the back of the radio.

Additionally - I would pull the radio and send it to Tony at Iron Cross Audio. Have him add the rear aux cable. Great guy, great company, and simply OUTSTANDING quality of work. This will allow for XM and SD card audio w/o needing a cord plugged into the front of the H/K unit.

I had a ton of pics of the wiring required but alas, disk failure trashed them all. If anyone knows of a good app to create wiring diagrams I'll see if I can do a full "How To" and post it up. You can also PM me your number and we can discuss in detail if you are still confused.  :)

Hope this helps
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »

I have the RT 665 on my FLHXSE2. It is not a paticularly hard mod - it is rather tedious - and the method I came up with is a "no easily going back" mod. However, once completed. it puts the SESG2/3 in the baselined "Touring" wiring so that any and all HD electronic accessories can be used. I would suggest going to the dealer and get some proper color-coded wire so that the bike can be serviced properly should any issue arise. If all you are doing is adding the NIM, you do not need to buy an NUOH (Non-Ultra Overlay Harness). The bottom line to cut the connector being used for the ipod module and make it a fully pinned "6B" connection. Go here and start reading at reply #38:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52965.30

Now - the thread above is specific to adding a CB module but creating the 6B connector is the same for all future accessories. The one thing you will need to do for the NIM only install is to save a good length of the yellow pair wires (CAN + and CAN - ) presently connected on the 35 pin connector. To do so - disassemble the harness on the 23 pin side of the radio enough to cut the yellow wires so you can swing them over to the NIM harness and attach them to the yellow wires inside the NIM harness.  The NIM harness will be pinned to the 35 pin connector on the back of the radio.

Additionally - I would pull the radio and send it to Tony at Iron Cross Audio. Have him add the rear aux cable. Great guy, great company, and simply OUTSTANDING quality of work. This will allow for XM and SD card audio w/o needing a cord plugged into the front of the H/K unit.

I had a ton of pics of the wiring required but alas, disk failure trashed them all. If anyone knows of a good app to create wiring diagrams I'll see if I can do a full "How To" and post it up. You can also PM me your number and we can discuss in detail if you are still confused.  :)

Hope this helps

I knew Rich would come through with instructions!!!

legalley

• WOO! HOO! I LOVE BEING FREE!!!

• CVO1: 2012 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: I Wish! - 2009 Pearl Black Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: I Wish! - 2008 VRSCAWA 105th Anniversary V-Rod
    • My Main Part-Time Income, Made Me A Multi-Millionaire!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »

Be Sure To Check Out Your Other Post!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68440.0
2012 SE Street Glide - Just another $50K pissed away! (But Loving it!)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »

Great...I am happy to be set straight.  That's what great about this place...you can always find someone who knows more than you do...and that's always a good thing. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:15:04 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

legalley

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 03:58:53 AM »

Two Six-Packs a couple of buddies (Hopefully one is an electronic tech) and a long afternoon can get that done!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:28:20 AM by legalley »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »

Be Sure To Check Out Your Other Post!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68440.0

Good write-up and thanks for posting it up. I'll add a couple of things:

1. The CAN (+) and CAN (-) signals (Y/OR and Y/V) are not required on the 6B connector. They allow for accessories to be read (or "seen") by the H/K head unit on the 35-pin side (J28). They have no function on the 23-pin side (J27). The NIM harness contains the CAN pair merely for continuity between additional accessories, not because it is required for connectivity between J27 and J28.

2.If you do not provide the additional pins of the standard 6B connector (Pin 2 - Blue/Yellow, and Pin 15 - Violet/Grey) then CB and/or Intercom will not function. I'd wire them while doing the work to keep the option of adding them later open.

3. The NIM harness contains a 274B connection (8-pin Deutsch DTM series) for the iPod module. There is no reason to keep the stock iPod connector (274B) when creating the 6B connector. Once a proper 6B connection is available, the iPod connector (274B) is provided via the NIM harness. That is why I chose to "convert" my stock 274B connector to a 6B connector. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE INSTALL OF AN NIM HARNESS!! If you are only adding an XM module, you need to retain the stock 274B connection in order for the iPod to function.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:25:25 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »

He only wants to install the GPS. He does not need to install the 6B connector to do so unless he wants to also install a NIM or other acc that use the 6B connector.

To do what he wants all he needs to do is wire the Audio Output of the GPS to the Aux input on the radio. The ONLY way to listen to the functions of the GPS is via the Auxiliary Input. This of course changes if you install a NIM, then you can be listening to any function of the radio and it will be interrupted for a turn prompt only, you still need the Aux input if you want to listen to XM via the GPS, MP3, or a phone call.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:03:38 AM by bissjim »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 07:00:37 AM »

No. In order to hear MP3, XM via the 665 or a phone call you must use the Auxiliary input.

That's right - but actually, it will disable all other sources. The "Aux" input is just another "source" of audio. It can be phone, mp3 from Garmin, XM from Garmin, or any other audio where the output of the device is available on a 3.5mm male audio jack.

If the question was directed towards the ability for the NIM and turn-by-turn directions from the Roadtech 660/665 to interrupt the "aux" port then you are correct. The NIM will function to interrupt whatever source is using the Aux input exactly as it would if another source (CD, FM, iPod, etc) was selected.

In other words, you can be listening to XM via the 665 and the NIM will interrupt the audio for voice prompts even though "Aux" input (front 3.5mm jack, or rear if Iron Cross modifed) is selected on the H/K head unit.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:02:50 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »

He only wants to install the GPS. He does not need to install the 6B connector to do so unless he wants to also install a NIM or other acc that use the 6B connector.

Jim

Hahaha - that's perfect Jim! Sometimes I can't see the forest becuase there are just too many damn tress in the way! :)

So to clarify:

The 665 can be added with very little effort (exaclty like the included instructions). It will play XM, mp3 via removeable media, and will also provide voice-prompts via the 3.5mm jack with the "Aux" port selected on the H/K head unit.

If voice prompts are desired with other sources selected (CD, FM, iPod, etc) then an NIM and a 6B "Audio Interconnect" is required to be added on the SESG2/3.

Erich - can you clarify your goal for the addition of the Roadtech 665?
TIF2

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:59 AM »

Lets not use the word "disable" in this post as it implies that the other functions of the radio such as FM, AM, CD, etc will no longer work. This is not what is actually happening. The Auxiliary input is just another source of audio which can be selected via the mode selector switch on the bars. You do not even see AUX as a source on the radio until you plug some thing into the Aux input port on the front of the radio or you do the Mod that adds an Aux input to the back of the radio. Plugging some thing into the Auxiliary Input port does not Disable and other function of the radio, it just adds another function to the radio's display which you still have to select as you would any other source such as FM, AM, CD, IPod, XM, Weather etc.

Jim

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »

Hmmmm - ok then.

Actually - it is EXACTLY what is happening. When the Aux button is selected, it disables all other sources from output.
FM signals are still being received by the antennae, as are XM signals. For each source selection, all other sources are disabled from the input to the internal amplifier. Semantics for sure, but when I turn off my light switch I "disable" the voltage going to the bulb, hence the light doesn't come on. I could easily wire the same bulb to a completely different power source, even different power technologies (coal, nuclear,etc) and the bulb would light every time as I cycled through each one. I am, in effect, enabling and disabling each "source" voltage via a switch. Same thing applies for the button on the head unit.

It is proper to discuss source selection as "disabled" or "enabled". "Enabling" (selecting) the Aux button disables all other input from further processing and amplification of the head unit. If it didn't, you would hear all available sources at all times through the speakers.

I appreciate your trying to simplify things from a concepts perspective, but sometimes it's just "1+1 = 2". If you (in the vernacular) can't learn (accept?) that 1+1= 2, it's hard to realize that 1,111,111 X 1,111,111 = 1,234,567,654,321.

Gotta LOVE the number "11" (blurb as a tribute to yesterday's date of 11.11.11) :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:06:44 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »

Hahaha - that's perfect Jim! Sometimes I can't see the forest becuase there are just too many damn tress in the way! :)

So to clarify:

The 665 can be added with very little effort (exaclty like the included instructions). It will play XM, mp3 via removeable media, and will also provide voice-prompts via the 3.5mm jack with the "Aux" port selected on the H/K head unit.

If voice prompts are desired with other sources selected (CD, FM, iPod, etc) then an NIM and a 6B "Audio Interconnect" is required to be added on the SESG2/3.

Erich - can you clarify your goal for the addition of the Roadtech 665?

Thanks to all that have replied, this is great info, but as stated above I see a lot of trees, ;D This is my first touring bike so this is ALL new to me!

Jim,
My goal is this.

Mount the RT Zumo 665 to the fairing to gain a seemless hookup. I would like the option to listen to XM radio while riding the bike and have the GPS interrupt with voice prompts regardless of the selection I have on the radio.... AM, FM, CD, IPOD, Weather Band, etc while navigating. 

I am NOT interested in adding a CB or bike to bike communication set in the future. I am also not concerned with using the bluetooth while riding the bike.

Thanks again to everyone that replied! :2vrolijk_21:

Erich

legalley

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »

In my Mod - I wired up the 6A/B so it will be available when I add the CB Radio. You are right, it is not required.

PS - Your Zumo 665 has a Bluetooth and Dial Pad for your Cell Phone built in! - It works great with a headset! IMHO put a 12V Jack in the Saddle Bag with your Ipod and keep your cell phone charged while riding.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:38:39 AM by legalley »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »

Mount the RT Zumo 665 to the fairing to gain a seemless hookup. I would like the option to listen to XM radio while riding the bike and have the GPS interrupt with voice prompts regardless of the selection I have on the radio.... AM, FM, CD, IPOD, Weather Band, etc while navigating.  

Erich

In order to obtain the functionality you want, you'll have to add the NIM and a 6B connector. Let me know how I can help. If you don't want to run a cord out of the inner faring to the front of the radio you'll need to add a rear aux jack. Again - Tony at ICA (Iron Cross Audio) is the MAN to contact  :)

In my Mod - I wired up the 6A/B so it will be available when I add the CB Radio. You are right, it is not required.

I read through your write-up and didn't see how you addressed the full pinning of a stock 6B connector (available on all Touring models except the SESG2/3). In order for CB and/or Intercom (rider-to-rider) to function you'll need to add the 2 additional signals as I outlined above. Without the Blue/Yellow wire and the Violet/Grey wire connected to the 23-pin side of the H/K then CB/Intercom will not be able to key a Mic nor interrupt the bus for voice over the Mic.

Like I stated, the CAN + and CAN (-) signals are not pinned (read - available) on the standard 6B connection on all other Touring models. If you look at the NIM harness you will see that there is a presence for the Blu/Yel and Vio/Gry wires. They are there to carry the 2 required signals to the 23-pin connector for CB/Intercom via a properly built 6B connection.

Maybe I missed it but how did you address the 2 additional signals required for connection to Pins 2 and 15 on the J27 side of the radio in order to make the CB/Intercom "availabe" when you install it? If you can add what you did for these signals to your original post on adding the NIM it would be a great resource for others.

I'm also curious as to your method in case it is easier/better than what I did, so let me know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:42:55 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

legalley

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 03:51:24 AM »

As far as the CB set-up. Two additonal wires are to be added per the CB installation instructions. Again, you are correct. Two additional signals are required for connection to Pins 2 and 15 on the J27 side of the radio in order to make the CB/Intercom "available" when you install it. I did not do this yet, as I believe that the CB kit contains the correct parts to perform the wiring mod. If not, a little jerry-rigging is required. - I Like YOU! There aren't many smart electronic guys out there! My biggest concern is that the PTT switch housing is not available in chrome! (YET).

As far as the radio rear AUX input Jack, there are at least two post that are relevant to modifying the radio. One encourages you to CUT the trace on the circuit board. DON'T DO IT! Another shows you the correct INDUCTOR to remove in order to have the AUX input displayed on your H/K Radio. I did the mod myself, BUT you must have a very small low wattage soldering iron to do the task. AND a BIG magnifying glass is a must! The maximum risk is $1,000 if you really mess up, so I chose to do it myself and it works GREAT!!! :jalapeno:  :pepper:  :jalapeno:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:03:04 AM by legalley »

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »

Thanks to all for helping me with this and extending offers for future assistance!!! :2vrolijk_21:

TIF2,
 If I run a cable to the Aux plug what gets omittted, the NIM and I would still need the 6B connector? One other question, is the wire which would plug into the Aux port be supplied with the GPS?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

Not answering for TIF2, but if all you want to do is have the GPS voice commands, MP3, and XM play through the radio via the AUX input, then all you need is a power supply to the GPS and a 3.5mm stereo patch cord for the AUX input from the GPS output.  It's your option whether to have the 3.5mm patch cord running to the back of the radio with a new AUX input, or run the wire to the front input already there.  No, the 3.5mm cord is not supplied with the GPS...you can get one at Radio Shack, or a number of places on line.  Wal Mart has them:  http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=15862711&findingMethod=rr  You can do a straight male to male, straight on one and and right angle on the other, or both ends with a right angle.  If you run to the front of the radio, I'd do that end with the 90 degree angle.

Adding the NIM makes the job a bit more complicated, but the end result is more functional overall.

TTS Mastertune

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 21 queries.