Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Balancing Beads  (Read 1999 times)

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
Balancing Beads
« on: January 14, 2023, 05:55:07 PM »

So I just pick up some Chrome Rims (with out tires rims only) and they came with balancing beads.    ( Recommend to use by the company I purchased the rims from but not a must use ) So I have never used them before what is the PROS and CONS of the beads vs the stick on weights ???.
Stop by my local HD dealer and ask them for pricing to mount and balance the new tires and rims, ask if they would do it with the beads service manager said we don't do beads to many problems with them we had customer come back and say the wheels are out of balance ?? are they right or wrong ?? Has anyone used them ? let me know the good or bad side with them. I want to use them I like the concept and no weights showing on the rims nice clean look.
DND

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Re: Balancing Beads
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 07:06:56 PM »

I don't know if you ever heard of Centramatic wheel balancers,  but I have them on my 04 Gold Wing.
They have doubled my tire life,  I now have over 70k miles 4 sets of tires, this after 2 sets in 14k miles.
I was going to put them on my 06 CVO Ultra, but at the time they didn't make the CVO Harley version.
The tires were always in balance.  They also make them for a multitude of other types of vehicles.
The "TAZMUN"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 08:05:39 PM »

I've used beads to balance tires many times.  Not every time; it's not a religious thing.  But often.  Mount and dismount my own so using them makes doing the job at home easy.  Again, no religious outpouring of sanctimony for or against.  The beads have always done fine and I've never had any problem though.  Wouldn't hesitate to use again but a good mechanical balance is also fine.  Only suggestion would be let the guy that next dismounts your tires know they're in there.  It can be a surprising mess when dismounting otherwise.

Oh yeah, also, if you're installing yourself and your kit has some asinine instructions about trying to pour in through the valve stem itself don't even try. Get a hammer and beat your thumb with it as that will be more a pleasurable exercise.  Just pour them in the sidewall before inflating and seating the bead. 

Oh yeah also, also; all of my bikes are too old to know how to spell TPMS.  So for newer stuff and any contraindication for use with internal sensors; I have no clue.

Oh yeah, and, also; also.... also.  Never mind.  I got nothing else.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:41:33 PM by Twolanerider »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 08:20:17 PM »

I've used them before in both over sized truck tires and on a bike. No issues whatsoever. Like Don said, let the next guy doing your tire work know they're in there as it can be a real disaster if they're not careful when dismounting a tire with them.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 08:33:47 PM »

My indy uses them exclusively, too cheap to buy a tire balance machine! I noticed the ride is a little squirrelly for a few miles after.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback  !!! I'm going with the beads sound like they will work fine.

Dante
DND

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 10:41:09 AM »

I have used them for several years with no issues.  Check out this video (it’s short):

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 05:44:23 PM »

Thanks Sikbird !!! Nice demo on how they work.

Dante
DND

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 10:20:12 PM »

I have been using them for over 100k miles with no issues at all. I change my own tires and put them in before I mount the final bead instead of dropping them in through the nozzle.

I also use Fobo’s TPM with no issues.

I had an occasion where I had to replace my rear tire while in a trip. I told the Harley service manager that they were in the tire and he said no problem and reused the beads in the new tire.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 08:15:12 AM »

Thanks that's good to here.

Dante
DND

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 01:19:33 PM »

I don't know if you ever heard of Centramatic wheel balancers,  but I have them on my 04 Gold Wing.
They have doubled my tire life,  I now have over 70k miles 4 sets of tires, this after 2 sets in 14k miles.
I was going to put them on my 06 CVO Ultra, but at the time they didn't make the CVO Harley version.
The tires were always in balance.  They also make them for a multitude of other types of vehicles.

I just ordered Centramatic for my 2018 GoldWing. When it comes time for tires, I'll put them on the CVO too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 01:02:24 PM »

I use dyna beads in my tires and have since 2008, they work for me. I just use the dyna bead brand myself.  :)

Anyone else?

YMMV
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 09:57:08 PM »

I use Dyna Beads also.  Work great.  I had a weight come un-glued and fall off a couple of times.  Can't happen with beads.  When I get a new tire, I run it up to 100mph  to be sure it is smooth and no vibration or problem.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 09:45:42 AM »

I had beads installed for about year now !!! I have no problems at all, the tires run great at high or low speed.
I will use them in all my bike tires for now on !!! No wheel weights on the chrome rim are a nice look.

All I can say is try them I think you will like them. 2 OZ of beads in each wheel Front / Back that's it.

Dante
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 09:49:06 AM by D-N-D »
DND

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.