Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: More Bad News...HD Lays Off 40  (Read 6082 times)

HiDrag

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Re: More Bad News...HD Lays Off 40
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 02:23:48 AM »

x3.
We also do not go out of our way to visit HD stores when we travel anymore with the rare exception. No reason to.

Never did.  Why would I?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 06:09:21 AM »

Never did.  Why would I?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The people we rode with on trips 15-20 years ago collected dealer pogs & t shirts.  We never did collect pogs, now a lot of these folks collect poker chips & we do not collect those either.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »

The people we rode with on trips 15-20 years ago collected dealer pogs & t shirts.  We never did collect pogs, now a lot of these folks collect poker chips & we do not collect those either.

Now days, unless you need something right away there is no need to go to the dealer. You can order it all on line and have it delivered in just a few days.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »

Now days, unless you need something right away there is no need to go to the dealer. You can order it all on line and have it delivered in just a few days.

True.  Internet changed the world.

We have changed around on groups we ride with since the start of "our Harley years."  Used to ride with a group that could not pass a HD dealership without stopping.  Had to allow a couple of hours extra bike time on trips because they had to have a pog & a shirt, then it was a poker chip & a t shirt.  At first we were pleasant about it.  After a couple of years of being bored & after hours & hours wasted at dealers watching folks point at stuff & say "Lookit!" , we quit stopping at Every Freaking Dealership on the road.  Instead that time is now better spent riding or drinking an icy cold beverage at a destination
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »

Well, kinda. Back then. At least one bike would break down along the way.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:43:58 AM by OBB »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »

And yet we wonder why mom and pop shops regardless of the type of business keep closing up.....

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

J.D.

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »

What I've experienced recently is most dealers stock very few parts except for the most common stuff, and most parts requests end up in prepaying (full price) for the part then another return trip to pick up the item when it arrives.  Since I have the parts books and an internet connection, I can get my part cheaper and faster without leaving the house.  Unless I call the dealer and confirm they have the part in stock AND it is an urgent same-day need I don't bother with the local dealers anymore.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »

Since I have the parts books and an internet connection, I can get my part cheaper and faster without leaving the house.  Unless I call the dealer and confirm they have the part in stock AND it is an urgent same-day need I don't bother with the local dealers anymore.

Bingo!

And this ties into the other thread that the "Mom N Pop" Harley dealerships are few and far between. Most are part of that auto conglomeration.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »

And Harley offers Slim-Shirts.....well that just eliminated about 90% the HD cliental, me included.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 02:31:41 PM »

And yet we wonder why mom and pop shops regardless of the type of business keep closing up.....

Not truly the case when it comes to H-D.... Corporate doesn't want "Mom & Pop" stores anymore... they want the "Mega/Super Walmart" dealership/stores. As Mom/Pop retired or where sold new owners were required to build dealerships the way corporate wanted them (Super Walmart). However I think this business models is backfiring on them since many have stated it's not only about getting parts online (easier/cheaper) it's about the attitude and in some cases lack of knowledge of the product that has been/is found at these super stores. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »

And Harley offers Slim-Shirts.....well that just eliminated about 90% the HD cliental, me included.
Yea... WTF!!!! I know a lot of the P&A we purchase are more about style/looks along w/some of the motorclothes… but hell they are contradicting one of the core motto's of riders... "Ride to Eat". Can't do that and fit in nothing "slim". :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »

Not truly the case when it comes to H-D.... Corporate doesn't want "Mom & Pop" stores anymore... they want the "Mega/Super Walmart" dealership/stores. As Mom/Pop retired or where sold new owners were required to build dealerships the way corporate wanted them (Super Walmart). However I think this business models is backfiring on them since many have stated it's not only about getting parts online (easier/cheaper) it's about the attitude and in some cases lack of knowledge of the product that has been/is found at these super stores. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I think Harley see's it's self as a premium brand, like Lexus or Mercedes Benz. At the same time they want to maintain a little of the bad boy image, good for business.

In reality I don't think it works. Every Harley enthusiast I know liked it better before. When the dealerships were like a second home. A place to hang, have a cup of coffee, talk with the parts guy, check out bikes, see riding buddies. The focus was on American motorcycles and riding.

Now they might as well be Hyundi dealers. No need explaining, we all know what Im talking about. It's all about one thing $$$. Nothing more or less. Sad really!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

J.D.

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 03:31:33 PM »

Yes the lack of intimate product knowledge throughout the staff and attitude to boot.  Starting to beat a dead horse but the taste is still in my mouth.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »

Yes the lack of intimate product knowledge throughout the staff and attitude to boot.  Starting to beat a dead horse but the taste is still in my mouth.
Guess it's only a issue to those of us that have enjoyed the past. Those that started riding Harleys within the last 10 to 15 years have only known the big fancy car dealership like stores. Designed to be family friendly and upscale. Harley wants clean cut professionals to feel comfortable walking into a Harley dealership. More interested in a status symbol than riding.

At the same time, dealership owners went from true enthusiast that rode, joined customers on rides to auto dealership chains.

Sorry, I'm getting back in the weeds. I will say this, without Harleys past, Harleys hard core supporters, clubs, you would not have Harley today. Harley is to a large degree living off it's past, off it's image.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 08:56:19 PM »

I’ve been a motorcycle enthusiast since the late 60’s, wanted a HD for years but could never justify one. Bought my first HD in 1995, a Fatboy. In 1996 bought my first HD bagger, road king. Over the years I bought 7 new HD's from one dealer and 1 from my home state, horse traded a few here and there. I’ve got the one I like now and while I do have money burning a hole in my pocket for another I’ve refrained.

Chrome won’t get ya home, but it will get ya laid
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.