Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: More Bad News...HD Lays Off 40  (Read 6083 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: More Bad News...HD Lays Off 40
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »

Well, kinda. Back the. At least one bike would break down along the way.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

I try to forget that, is too true.  Have at least a dozen HD shirts from waiting on a friend's bike to get fixed on trips. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »

The Harley dealer in central Vermont, Wilkins Harley-Davidson, is still run by the original owner's family after 73 years.  It is a small dealership off the beaten path.  When I went there looking for my 2009 SERG, I was greeted by the owner who started the business with her husband.  She was still working and must of been 80+ years old at the time.

They are Platinum Bar and Shield Award winners and hold numerous other B&S awards; they simply don't dish out BS.  Same long time employees.  I wish they had been closer as they would have been my dealer.

I now live in El Paso and it seems Barnett HD is the only HD store around for 100's of miles.  Not interested in dealing with them.

:oops: :nixweiss:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:45:06 PM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »

I think Harley see's it's self as a premium brand, like Lexus or Mercedes Benz. At the same time they want to maintain a little of the bad boy image, good for business.

In reality I don't think it works. Every Harley enthusiast I know liked it better before. When the dealerships were like a second home. A place to hang, have a cup of coffee, talk with the parts guy, check out bikes, see riding buddies. The focus was on American motorcycles and riding.

Now they might as well be Hyundi dealers. No need explaining, we all know what Im talking about. It's all about one thing $$$. Nothing more or less. Sad really!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Not all the dealers are like this.  Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson (SMHD) is what most would call one of the New Mega stores.  SMHD opened Sept of 2004 in an old Lowes.  The owner, Scott is an avid rider.  He leads rides once and a while, most people can not keep up with him in the curves.  It is a very friendly store, with knowledgeable staff, be it sales floor or parts or service.  Most all ride.

SMHD has something they call project Ridemore.  Its a store sponsored ride, with Staff leading the ride, and staff as tail gunner.  Its a 200 to 300 mile ride on obscure back roads, to some place interesting and lunch.  This is done every week.  It's not a HOG ride, as it is a a skilled rider level ride moving at a good clip though the curves.    Some times there are two Ridemore rides in a week.

There is also a weekly HOG lunch ride, usually close to 200 miles.

There are concerts every Saturday night through out the riding season, some free, some with cover charge depending on the band.  If there is a charge, its 5 dollars off if you ride.  Some times they have Friday concerts.  During riding season they have a Thursday bike night.

They also sponcer other rides, and they have bike shows.  They always try to have something fun, riding related.

They have a on site bar, and BBQ restaurant. 

I'm sure a lot of this and has friendly Staff is why he has won Best Dealer.  The owner is very active in his store. 

Lots of people like to hang out there.  We often stop by after a ride for a beer and cigar. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »

Yep I  been to SMHD several times over the years really enjoy that place. Each time I go up to the Maggie Valley because I'm from eastern NC. I like most like the mom & pop dealers the dealership I use has been family owned for 47 yrs. Most people in NC know the name Don Tilley this dealership is 140 miles from me.There dealer closer 4 one as close as 40 miles but as most said owed by auto dealer. Long as mom & pop r around I try to do my business with them.

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »

Not all the dealers are like this.  Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson (SMHD) is what most would call one of the New Mega stores.  SMHD opened Sept of 2004 in an old Lowes.  The owner, Scott is an avid rider.  He leads rides once and a while, most people can not keep up with him in the curves.  It is a very friendly store, with knowledgeable staff, be it sales floor or parts or service.  Most all ride.

SMHD has something they call project Ridemore.  Its a store sponsored ride, with Staff leading the ride, and staff as tail gunner.  Its a 200 to 300 mile ride on obscure back roads, to some place interesting and lunch.  This is done every week.  It's not a HOG ride, as it is a a skilled rider level ride moving at a good clip though the curves.    Some times there are two Ridemore rides in a week.

There is also a weekly HOG lunch ride, usually close to 200 miles.

There are concerts every Saturday night through out the riding season, some free, some with cover charge depending on the band.  If there is a charge, its 5 dollars off if you ride.  Some times they have Friday concerts.  During riding season they have a Thursday bike night.

They also sponcer other rides, and they have bike shows.  They always try to have something fun, riding related.

They have a on site bar, and BBQ restaurant. 

I'm sure a lot of this and has friendly Staff is why he has won Best Dealer.  The owner is very active in his store. 

Lots of people like to hang out there.  We often stop by after a ride for a beer and cigar.

We were there last May by accident while riding the Dragon and staying at the Iron Horse Lodge. It is a first class dealership.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.