Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: "103 Muscle Kit" from Zippers post race summary  (Read 8660 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
"103 Muscle Kit" from Zippers post race summary
« on: April 01, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

Don't read anything in to the descriptions that might follow in this thread.  They were initial impressions of the "103 Muscle Kit" from Zippers.  Initial impressions that did not hold up in warmer weather.  The bike was unrideable in anything much above 75-80 degrees. 

The initial machine work provided was very poor.  Valve job was actually re-touched locally as I wouldn't install it with the seats as deep as they were provided.  Also later discovered that much of the driveability problem was poor flow in the heads attempting to be compensated by a cam (657) larger than I'd been told to expect in the package.  That combination made it very difficult to tune.

The Thundermax supplied with the kit couldn't tune the bike enough with its autotuning ability to make the bike rideable.  In fact it often "tuned" making guesses more wrong than right.  In warmer weather the bike was still all but unrideable due to detonation.  In hot weather it was unrideable.

Changing cams was a band aid repair for awhile.  New top end losing the poorly designed head package was a final solution.  The company was a disaster throughout.  Fine people to work with while orders and money was going in.  Head in the sand wastes of time once they began to be asked about problems and questions.  There service, delays in delivery, poor machine work and general was such that I personally would attempt sexual congress with a syphilitic porcupine before I would ever buy another part from them.

A year and a half later and I still feel the same way :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: .
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:52:11 AM by Twolanerider »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: "103 Muscle Kit" from Zippers post race summary
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:09:43 AM »

Don

That sounds great!
The chart looks even better.
Being somewhat old school (yes I'm old) the 103's a still a huge motor.
My first hot rod Harley was a 98" Evo 3 5/8 X 4 3/4 in 86.
On your bike I was interested in the rideability and the torque.
At 119 square the #'s look great.
Look at the #'s on a Goldwing and I can assure you that tailights are all they will see.

As I tell Nancy all the time when you get a thousand harleys together most likely only about 50 will run really good.
And of those 50 maybe 25 will run as good as yours. Your work was not done to please anyone else but with your end result I hope you are proud of the way it runs!

Thanks for the report!

S
  /
    B 

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:51:16 AM by Twolanerider »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »

Looks Great Don!  :xyxthumbs: You noticed any difference in oil temperatures with the mods, or maybe it's not been warm enough your direction to do that eyeballing yet.
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:35:45 PM »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:51:54 AM by Twolanerider »

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »

Outstanding comparison of the different mods and seeing where the performance of the bike was going.  Even more interesting is what a 'narrow' effect the 575 cam has on the 103's.  I expected way more!!  8 more lbs of torque is a pretty small gain when looking at the areas that you lose on......
I may have to re-evaluate my dreams for my SEEG.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:43:15 PM »

A couple of interesting comparative measures Joe.  I don't have an oil temp gauge intalled on the bike (wait 'til next weekend).  But have shot the rear jug with an IR gun. 

Right after the installation that included the Feuling pump, lifters etc I was measuring 10 degrees less shooting the same spot on the head.  Just better oil volume carrying it away better.

The number that was scary, however, was for the 110 guys.  While in Marrietta a few days ago Chief and I rode exactly the same trek at exactly the same time.  He then shot his bike and mine with exactly the same IR gun.  I was almost 100 degrees cooler.  It was like 220F against 310F if I remember right.  Scary stuff on that 110.  And that was a cool short evening ride.
Don,
As usual great information and comparitive charts. Having put the zipper 575 cam in I would have to say that it did not do as much as I thought (HP gains about 6, torque about 11), but could not agree more about the fueling oil pump,lifters,etc regard engine cooling. For engine longevity from keeping it cooler was a great investment ( stock after running engine about 238 degrees, with amsoil about 228 degrees, with oil pump and bypass shim about 215 to 218 degrees by temp gauge). John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:13:07 PM »

Don,
As usual great information and comparitive charts. Having put the zipper 575 cam in I would have to say that it did not do as much as I thought (HP gains about 6, torque about 11), but could not agree more about the fueling oil pump,lifters,etc regard engine cooling. For engine longevity from keeping it cooler was a great investment ( stock after running engine about 238 degrees, with amsoil about 228 degrees, with oil pump and bypass shim about 215 to 218 degrees by temp gauge). John

John, the gain that pleased me about the cams themselves wasn't so much the raw numbers but when those numbers hit.  Better torque more in the riding range.  Engine was much more suited to the bike's gearing and my riding style than it had been previously.

You're 100% right on the job though.  I did it as a prophylactic exercise.  Was losing the tensioners and gaining the better oiling system.  Any performance increase was mostly gravy.  That the bike was better riding with the available torque in a better RPM range was a happy side benefit.  But never the primary reason (for me) for doing that job.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »

The "kit" work supplied by Zippers includes a pair of Harley branded pistons (22484-04) that are .005" oversized to our stock bores and in conjuction with the work they do to our stock cylinder heads raise the CR to 10.5:1.  With even a hot engine our high torque starters handle this CR without compression releases.  I didn't want compression releases.  So a package that stopped where this did was a real consideration for me.

They do rework the heads.  Slightly larger valves.  Reworked combustion chambers.  Etc etc etc.  In my case the final hone and fitment of pistons to cylinders was beautifully and perfectly done.  Final quality of work on the cylinder heads was something less than that.  Enough so that I followed up a bit here to finish what they'd started.  It was all good before it went on the bike though.

Cam in this package is Zippers 657 and also included in the kit is their 50 mm throttle body and intake manifold along with their air cleaner to mate to the package (note, the intake manifold mounting flange won't accept standard Delphi mount air cleaner mounts anymore).  Went with gear drive cams.  Feuling pump, Feuling lifters, Feuling cam plate, Zippers Pro-Taper pushrods.  Also used their Thundermax ECM with the autotune kit added on to it.  Only other hardware used (that I can think of right now) was a Doherty Myst-Free breather kit and the GP Designs outer bearing support.
Don,
was re reading your post on this (as I said had 575, oil pump, lifters etc, V&H true duals, PCIII and got numbers similar to your first dyno run).  Was looking for more torque. I like the numbers you got but am reluctant to change engine alot . you said the cylinder heads weren't quite right-how so? How long did it take for them to complete the job? Do you remember a ballpark $ on job? Trying to balance this vs. cost of say D&D fatcat 2:1 with torque increase or put the money into getting the overall performance from engine upgrade. This is what my winter project will be after football season is over. Any help is greatly appreciated!  John  I guess in the end what I am trying to avoid is " the enemy of good is better" :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:01:35 PM by otophile »
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »

Don,
was re reading your post on this (as I said had 575, oil pump, lifters etc, V&H true duals, PCIII and got numbers similar to your first dyno run).  Was looking for more torque. I like the numbers you got but am reluctant to change engine alot . you said the cylinder heads weren't quite right-how so? How long did it take for them to complete the job? Do you remember a ballpark $ on job? Trying to balance this vs. cost of say D&D fatcat 2:1 with torque increase or put the money into getting the overall performance from engine upgrade. This is what my winter project will be after football season is over. Any help is greatly appreciated!  John  I guess in the end what I am trying to avoid is " the enemy of good is better" :)

Oh boy....   John, I try to generally avoid much of the he said/she said that becomes concomitant to discussing the problems that were had.  There are two side to all such discourses of course.  And some are just almost religiously for or against a particular vendor.  So it's difficult to ever have a discussion without it becoming an interrogation or a sermon.  Having said that; here's what I ran in to in my work with Zippers.

The two problems with Zippers were their inability to meet (redundantly) their own suggested deadlines as to supply and the quality of the final machine work on the cylinder heads.

They were never hesitant to make promises as to when to expect parts to be available or be shipped.  They were in fact willing to happily make such promises repetitively.  That the promises had no basis in reality was the problem.  Eventually they learned that it was better just to say "sorry, I just don't know yet, but we really are trying."  But it took them a long while to understand that reality rather than hyperbole was truly the more desirable tack.

That was the nuisance.  The annoyance.  The bothersome part of working with them.  Had everything else been ok that could have just been chalked off as yet another company getting in too deep; being too busy at a particular time to meet their demands.  You can accept that (once) and move on; if that's all it is.  Unfortunately it wasn't.

Their work on the cylinders seemed beautiful.  Fit was perfect.  No problem on the jugs or the mate of the jugs to the pistons.  Their work on the cylinder heads, however, was very very pedestrian. Average; at best. 

The final polishing work that I'd been told was part of the job simply wasn't.  In fact the surfaces looked like they'd not just come directly from the CNC machine.  But as if they'd come directly from the CNC machine with dull tools in use.  That was bad enough.  Worse, however, was that the valve job was just abysmal.  One cut (angle) on one exhaust valve.  Two valves set way way too deep.  Other issues as well.  Though I'm sure it will vitiate any "warranty" on the entirety of the job I might ever attempt to discuss with them I'll admit now I did the valve job over again before installing the heads.  It was just that bad.  And obviously so. 

Fortunately I'll never have to concern myself with their warranty.  They'll never lay machine or other tools on parts of mine ever again.  I very much like the Thundermax system with the autotune addition.  Definitely a fan of that system.  Would recommend without hesitation.  At least in my experience, however, the headwork looked like it came from an apprenctice machinist who didn't know a valve machine from a candy bar dispenser.

Unfortunately many would unpack the new pretty parts, say to themselves "oooh, new pretty parts" and simply never know nor recognize the difference.  They put it all together, or pay someone to and it would have started and ran.  Then in 10 or 12k miles they'd have burned a valve (or worse) and simply been left to wonder.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:54:05 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

John, on the pricing I'll have to dig up the paperwork.  Simply not sure right now.  Zippers had the final billings so fouled up I never did know exactly what things should have actually cost.  We were fussing at that point and I got tired of screwing with it for the small amount that seemed like a remainder. 

I had costs for diamond cutting and powder coating work going on all at the same time.  So need to distinguish that from the machine works and parts supplied by Zippers.  I will say that I remember at the time that the costs were not abominable relative to the quality of work that was their reputation and their promise.  Had the work been as expected the price would have seemed certainly fair enough.  The trouble was their efforts simply did not come close to matching their reputation or promise. 

I'll try to find some firm numbers and let you know though.  Will post it here when I get a chance to dig them up.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

Don,
thanks for all the info. Like many am trying get most for dollar in upgrades. Liked the numbers the 103 muscle kit had, but after reading your commentary ( as well as others abouth Zippers over promise under deliver), I am not I have the time nor patience to deal with problems. Like you also said I would not know if it was done correctly or not as to what to expect ( hopefully mechanic I use putting everything back together would though!). That was also reason for question on ballpark $ for change, if couple $K not sure that a novice like me should attempt, and then should look for other means to tweak out some more torque ( as an aside I love the 103 don't need bigger and ride similar to what you often describe).  keep up the good work, John
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 02:41:23 PM »

Don I am so glad you are pleased with the final product. As I told you I am happy with the 113 they did on my bike. The ride is unbelievable. It has all the power you could want and it still looks stock. I can't wait till I get the AT setup on the bike. Along with all of the other stuff I have picked up over the winter.

Keep us posted

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »

Don,
thanks for all the info. Like many am trying get most for dollar in upgrades. Liked the numbers the 103 muscle kit had, but after reading your commentary ( as well as others abouth Zippers over promise under deliver), I am not I have the time nor patience to deal with problems. Like you also said I would not know if it was done correctly or not as to what to expect ( hopefully mechanic I use putting everything back together would though!). That was also reason for question on ballpark $ for change, if couple $K not sure that a novice like me should attempt, and then should look for other means to tweak out some more torque ( as an aside I love the 103 don't need bigger and ride similar to what you often describe).  keep up the good work, John

John, I have no doubt that some of their work is exceptional.  And that things go smoothly when they go smoothly.  Their problem seems to be, however, when things don't go smoothly.  Addressing delay or problem, in my case, seemed to be met with (finally and perhaps out of frustration) just getting it out the door.  Even if it's understandable from a "human nature" perspective it's unfortunate and unacceptable from any other.

John, it was probably too strong of me to say I would "never" consider them again.  Any future consideration of their efforts, however, would have to be accompanied beforehand by a very pointed conversation about all expectations (work, time, etc).  Extra due diligence would be required to know that everything necessary wasn't just available but was in hand to meet supply promises and that time scheduled for work done was such that cutting a corner or responding out of frustration simply wouldn't be an option.  They very likely might not be willing to work under the kind of restrictions that conversation might suggest.  But given my own experience it would be a mandatory conversation.

As Mike (Dawg) suggested though the most important part now after the fact is that I'm happy with it.  It took extra effort on my part to get there.  And it really should not have.  Zippers doesn't get all the credit for my end-game satisfaction either.  But they do get some.  As some of what they did and what they supplied was perfectly satisfactory.  Like Mike's 113, I'm just enjoying riding the bike now.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »

John, I have no doubt that some of their work is exceptional.  And that things go smoothly when they go smoothly.  Their problem seems to be, however, when things don't go smoothly.  Addressing delay or problem, in my case, seemed to be met with (finally and perhaps out of frustration) just getting it out the door.  Even if it's understandable from a "human nature" perspective it's unfortunate and unacceptable from any other.

John, it was probably too strong of me to say I would "never" consider them again.  Any future consideration of their efforts, however, would have to be accompanied beforehand by a very pointed conversation about all expectations (work, time, etc).  Extra due diligence would be required to know that everything necessary wasn't just available but was in hand to meet supply promises and that time scheduled for work done was such that cutting a corner or responding out of frustration simply wouldn't be an option.  They very likely might not be willing to work under the kind of restrictions that conversation might suggest.  But given my own experience it would be a mandatory conversation.

As Mike (Dawg) suggested though the most important part now after the fact is that I'm happy with it.  It took extra effort on my part to get there.  And it really should not have.  Zippers doesn't get all the credit for my end-game satisfaction either.  But they do get some.  As some of what they did and what they supplied was perfectly satisfactory.  Like Mike's 113, I'm just enjoying riding the bike now.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »

not taking sides here. Us left coast  cvo rides perfer are freedoms , and the east coast guys play with there zippers.-   AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »

not taking sides here. Us left coast  cvo rides perfer are freedoms , and the east coast guys play with there zippers.-   AK

That proximity really has often seemed to be a determining factor Andy.  With the cam options it's fortunate for everyone that both options seem to be good ones.  In my own case the final work was actually based on a somewhat different criterion.  I knew I wanted to get the autotuning Thundermax package that Zippers offered.  That being so then just opted to get it all at the same place  :nixweiss:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:01:46 PM »

Don

How is the "Red bike".
Because you seem so happy with the Auto-tune I talked w/ Danny at Myrtle Beach about putting it on the Frontier.
Just hit 5K on the motor this weekend and she's running great.
Averaging 38 to 39 mpg.

Just hard to spend money on something when it feels so good!
But I am leaning in the Auto Tune direction.

How many miles on the "Red bike" now?
Are you still happy with it?

And,
One final question,
Do you know what a small block 402 double hump motor is?

:nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 10:21:25 PM »

Don

How is the "Red bike".
Because you seem so happy with the Auto-tune I talked w/ Danny at Myrtle Beach about putting it on the Frontier.
Just hit 5K on the motor this weekend and she's running great.
Averaging 38 to 39 mpg.

Just hard to spend money on something when it feels so good!
But I am leaning in the Auto Tune direction.

How many miles on the "Red bike" now?
Are you still happy with it?

And,
One final question,
Do you know what a small block 402 double hump motor is?

:nixweiss:

Chip,

This is a fuel injected small block 402 with "double hump" heads.  It's one I built for a project a couple years ago.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:55:08 AM by Twolanerider »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »

Cool beans there Don!

Glad to know it's still cooking fine!
That's the great thing about this site.
So many options.
And as picky as you are, your opinion is important!

On the dbl hump,
Have one sitting in the garage.
Right next to the Powerglide and the upswept headers.
Kinda strange all this Chevy stuff sitting in the garage in front of the Mustang!
Great picture of yours.
Will post one of mine once it's installed.
Should be by the end of next week!

8)
As you know, next to horsepower, a man can never have too many toys!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:38:15 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 10:41:06 PM »

And not to get picky but,
My block is orange, yours is red.
Which one is factory?
I like the red better!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »

And not to get picky but,
My block is orange, yours is red.
Which one is factory?
I like the red better!

Might just be the flash Chip.  It was painted with a VHT self etch primer, VHT Chevy Orange and finished with a couple coats of Nyalic.  It's what I do on just about any engine that isn't bound for a project such that the engine needs to be painted by the same people painting the car.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

Might just be the flash Chip.  It was painted with a VHT self etch primer, VHT Chevy Orange and finished with a couple coats of Nyalic.  It's what I do on just about any engine that isn't bound for a project such that the engine needs to be painted by the same people painting the car.

I went back and looked again.
Looks red.
But your post makes me feel better that it's orange.
But I am partial to the red!

S
  /
    B

Sorry to get off topic but I figured if anybody would know what a dbl hump motor was, you would!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 11:07:17 PM »

Looks red.

S
  /
    B

Sorry to get off topic but I figured if anybody would know what a dbl hump motor was, you would!

Chip, in the small block chevy world when someone says "double hump" they are referring to some old cylinder heads from the 60s and early 70s.  They were very popular solely because they accepted what was then the largest intake valves Chevy used (2.02" and 1.94").  Chevy heads had different casting identifiers on their ends.  These larger heads had two rounded humps, thus "double hump" heads. 

There have been some aftermarket products using casting symbols close to those (for marketing purposes).  And quite frankly a lot of heads are better than the old double humps.  The true double hump heads don't even have bolt holes in the ends of the heads for accessory or bracketry mounting.  So bracketry is sometimes harder to come by if one is looking for a nostalgic look.  If someone is building a small block and part of it's goal is any kind of nostalgic look though those are the castings people still look for.

A lot of kids playing with small blocks now and not really being familiar with the old stuff often confuse "double hump" as a description for the casting marks on the old heads and "double pumper" as a description for the old Holley carbs.  It's got "double" and it's got some kind of "ump" and that sounds close enough to be right to a kid that's never driven anything other than a tuner rice car.

Here's the mark on the ends of the heads that makes them an official "double hump":

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 11:11:16 PM »

Looks red.

S
  /
    B

Chevy was always either Chevy orange or the corporate GM blue after the early to mid 80s.  But with different rattle cans Chevy orange can vary some  :huepfenlol2: .

That motor was oranger than it looked in that photo.  But not much.  Chevy orange even changed from Chevy a little bit over the years.  But it was never really a red color.  Painting a small block Chevy some old Ford red color would certainly invite deep chasms opening in the earth and the escape of demons from hell (or something like that)....

By the way, which of the several ways to get to 402 on a small block was yours done?

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »

Don,
As I have put on another thread, I am considering some top end work. You mentioned that you did NOT want compression release. I understand what they do, but not sure of pro and cons of this item. Not really interested in "super" compression based engine, would like to stay at around 10 but I am intersted in your opinion on "to release or not to release" that is the question? thanks john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

Don,
As I have put on another thread, I am considering some top end work. You mentioned that you did NOT want compression release. I understand what they do, but not sure of pro and cons of this item. Not really interested in "super" compression based engine, would like to stay at around 10 but I am intersted in your opinion on "to release or not to release" that is the question? thanks john

John, you defintely don't need compression releases for 10:1! I'd try and keep it just below 10:1. It's easier on detonation issues with some of the gas we see today. Compression will add heat also, which we don't need any more of. Use the 1.4KW starter and it'll be plenty strong to start your motor and not tax the starter. We've been running 10:1's in many engines over the years. All with standard HD starters and no compression releases. If you set the heads up for manual releases, you can always add them later if you feel you want a little more starting help. Or install them, and use them as you need to. Unlike the new 110's where we don't have the choice to remove them, because they're electronically tied into the ECM!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »

Don,

John, my thinking involved a few things.  First is that generally I just didn't want to screw with them (compression releases).

Building an engine big enough to need them is a temptation to build an engine bigger than I need or want and an engine big enough to commonly have other reliability questions down the road.

I don't want to regularly burn my damn fingers.

I wanted to use the cylinder head bridges to fill that space around the plugs.  At least not without further machining of the bridges you can't do that with compression releases.

I didn't want to forget to use the damn thing sometimes.

I didn't need nor want a motor that required them.

I wanted simple, reliable, easy, efficient maximization of the basic platform I had.  That was the guidance I gave Zippers (repeatedly).  That could be done without the need for compression releases.

That there were other issues with the work is separate and apart from the original intent.  Too many sets of compression releases are installed for show purposes anyway.  I just didn't want to screw with them.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »

I agree with you 2LR, I haven't done much yet, but I want  bike that will be dependable, won't get to hot in the summer, and I can get on and just ride all day. Not to say that some of the higher HP big motors aren't reliable, but the more you push them the better the chance of having problems. Just depends what your looking.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »

I agree with you 2LR, I haven't done much yet, but I want  bike that will be dependable, won't get to hot in the summer, and I can get on and just ride all day. Not to say that some of the higher HP big motors aren't reliable, but the more you push them the better the chance of having problems. Just depends what your looking.

Exactly Talon.  That was my goal as well.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »

thanks don, actually all i want is the 103 and reliability is a huge consideration for me too!
 i wasn't interested in compression releases but curious as to positives and negatives. always good to ask others who have experience than waste money and redoing things ( changing chrome one thing,but tearing engine apart is another) john
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:24:53 PM by otophile »
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 02:58:32 PM »

thanks don, actually all i want is the 103 and reliability is a huge consideration for me too!
 i wasn't interested in compression releases but curious as to positives and negatives. always good to ask others who have experience than waste money and redoing things ( changing chrome one thing,but tearing engine apart is another) john

Amen to that Brother John.  Amen to that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 21 queries.