Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM Roady Users...interference?  (Read 1439 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
XM Roady Users...interference?
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:05:19 AM »

OK, I have a Roady XM Radio that I move between vehicles.  I installed the "hardwire" kit that includes a small transformer inside the fairing.  Initially, this was connected, both hot and ground to the Cigar Lighter connectors...I also took the step of connecting the ground wire to the radio ground as an alternative.  The magnetic antenna is on top of the radio and I use a 1/8" jack for the direct wire into the radio.  I use the Tune Trapper antenna.

When powered up, the XM radio prevents the radio from receiving the signals from AM/FM/WB.

I also tried using the Cigar Lighter directly with a different power cable, same problem.

Finally, I plugged the XM Radio into the 12V jack on my JumpStart Battery Pack...no interference.

Any suggestions?  Is it a gound issue?  Should I try running the ground back under the seat?

This does not happen in my truck.

/Bill
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:07:01 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: XM Roady Users...interference?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:14:03 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, WFP,.
 My XM works GREAT! [smiley=bigok.gif]  I can't speak intelligently about the schematics, as OTIS did my installation. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  He's a whiz at this kind of stuff! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Help WFP out, OTIS!!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »

WFP,
I don't have any interference with mine. I am using the aux input and I hooked up the power transformer to the cigarette lighter socket.  I also have the antenna on top of the factory radio, but I am not using the antenna that came with the Roady2. I had a much larger antenna that came with an older Sirius receiver that I had on the bike in the beginning and it seems to pick up the signal much better than the little one that came with the XM Roady2. It sounds like you are using an FM modulator. That would probably be the big difference between my setup and yours, if you are in fact using the FM modulator.
Steve

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:03:09 PM »

WFP,
I don't have any interference with mine. I am using the aux input and I hooked up the power transformer to the cigarette lighter socket.  I also have the antenna on top of the factory radio, but I am not using the antenna that came with the Roady2. I had a much larger antenna that came with an older Sirius receiver that I had on the bike in the beginning and it seems to pick up the signal much better than the little one that came with the XM Roady2. It sounds like you are using an FM modulator. That would probably be the big difference between my setup and yours, if you are in fact using the FM modulator.
Steve

No modulator, I am using the aux radio input directly.  My wife has the FM modulator/Power cord in her Tahoe.  The "Transform" I mentioned is a black box and wires for reducing the 12v to the ~6 the roady wants directly spliced into the bike's power.

The problem is, when I power the unit off the Bike's 12V system, I get interference with the reception of AM/FM/WB.

I just have to believe that the Roady is doing something to the ground...I just am not sure what.

Also, this happens whether or not the wire is plugged into the radio's aux input.

oh, and thaks HUB!

/Bill

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 01:44:17 PM »

I just spent a few minutes with an EMI expert as well as an Experienced Radio Operator here at work.

The first suggestion was adding a ferrite core to the power cord.

/Bill

lugnut

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 05:04:10 PM »

This is how I did mine. Cut off the cigar lighter part and wired it directly to the ciger lighter wires under the fairing. http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1091750271

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »

This is how I did mine. Cut off the cigar lighter part and wired it directly to the ciger lighter wires under the fairing. http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1091750271

Did you step down the voltage...from 12 to 6V?

lugnut

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:27:17 PM »

Did you step down the voltage...from 12 to 6V?

No just cut the do dad off and wired right to the back of the ciger lighter.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 07:27:40 PM by lugnut57 »

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 07:44:28 PM »

Sounds like you have the same set up as I do WFP.  Technically speaking the step down transformer should  filter out some noise on the 12V. That is one of the ways we eliminate noise on radio's at work is to use a DC to DC transformer. I only thought you were using an FM modulator because you said that when you turned it on it blocked out the AM/FM/WB. I had used a modulator on my earlier setup with the Sirius that went inline with the antenna connection and when you powered up the Sirius tuner the modulator sensed it, and cut the antenna out of the circuit, eliminating the possibility of an FM station bleeding through. The ferrite may help, and there are other options depending on what kind of noise you are getting. You might also try another 12 to 6 volt adapter. Some have better filtering qualities than others and actually isolate the circuit eliminating the common ground.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 24 queries.