RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: 2010 Victory
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »

RedDevil,
Wow, certainly sounds like your a lucky one for sure. I have owned Harleys all of my life myself, starting with a '68 XLCH culminating to what have now, which is an '08 SEUC. All total I've owned 7 Harleys. Out of all of those bikes, this one has the biggest coin into it so far(SEUC). This bike has also been one of the most disappointing I have ever owned. Tons of warranty issues, and I've kept all of the receipts. Hell, I've had to go out and buy a binder to keep them in, there is so many. Needless to say, without going into all the issues, there is not a whole lot of owner satisfaction going on here. Also another issue is that the bikes value has literally dropped into a black hole, so I'm sort of stuck with it and it's ongoing problems. At some point in time, I can definately see it parked over in one of the corners of my garage with a heavy canvas tarp thrown over her,  down hard mechanically. Sorry to say, but thats the way I see it. I might go back to riding an older bike, or just get me an EVO powered Electra Glide, Road Glide, or Road King, who knows. One thing I do know, I won't be buying anymore new Harleys. I am looking into different possibilities, for sure. I just don't know what I will end up with..  Believe me, I don't get any satisfaction bad mouthing what I have now,  or contemplating buying outside the brand. I just want something that is just alittle less problematic. With this bike, I feel like I've been sitting down, playing cards all day long, and now getting ready to get up from the table, after having lost everything I came in with, that's sort of the way I feel. By the way, I'm a card player...

John,
I feel your pain, but for me it was just opposite.  I had all the problems you're having with the only Gold Wing that I ever bought.  It spent more time in the shop, then it did on the road.  The happiest day of my life was when I got rid of it...so I understand what you're feeling.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.   :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 11:58:50 PM »

Red, I don't know what bee got stuck up your bonnet, but if you're intimating that I or anyone else shouldn't badmouth the mother ship and her products I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  If you have two Harleys and they haven't required a lot of repair (yet), then yes you are lucky.  And if you don't mind having to spend thousands on a brand new bike to make it run properly, that's just peachy.  And if you haven't had the MoCo try to stuff something up your posterior yet, rather than just fix whatever the problem is, then you are very lucky.  Rest assured, however, that not everyone has shared your luck.

Yup, I still have one Harley in the garage.  I guess you would suggest that since I haven't been totally satisfied with my ownership experience that I should just give it away and buy something else.  To tell you the truth, I was at that point a couple years ago.  Then several things in my life changed drastically, and all of a sudden that POS in the garage wasn't a top priority.  Once those other issues are totally behind me, and I finally get a chance to do the traveling I had intended, I will probably buy a reliable replacement from someone other than Harley.  After all, I'm not a kid anymore who doesn't mind getting stranded or who doesn't mind having to constantly wrench on my vehicle.  I'm spoiled now, and expect my vehicles to just do what I bought them for without a whole lot of BS.  If H-D decides to produce such a vehicle, have them give me a shout and I'll give them consideration when it's time to make a purchase.  In the meantime, I'll continue to voice my opinions on their vehicles, their managment, and their customer disservice. 

BTW, none of this has anything to do with my original post and question.  Why blow off the Honda just because it's too quiet, but the first thing a Harley guy does is replace the stock pipes because the stockers are too quiet.  

Jerry

Yes, the Harley is quiet stock, and I knew that going into the purchase.  I knew that I wouldn't enjoy the bike with the stock pipes and planned the pricing of pipes into my purchase decision.  I'm sorry, but you will never make a Gold Wing sound like a Harley, no matter what you do to the exhaust.  With the Harley, I knew that with a simple replacement of the baffles, I could obtain that music to my ears, and we are only talking about a price of under $150 total with Fulsacs.  Of course, I opted for a more expensive route, but I'll be the first to admit that it wasn't necessary to go that far.  

There's more to the Harley than just the sound though.  As a group, there is a different personality to the Harley riders than those riding a Gold Wing, or probably any other bike.  I know there are Gold Wing groups out there, just like there are HOG chapters, etc., but my contention is it's an entirely different atmosphere.  First of all, when you ride with the Gold Wingers, they all have Gold Wings.  When you ride with Harley people, they have touring models, and softtails, and dynas, etc.  It's a much more diverse group and to truly fit into the group and to understand the passion, you have to have a Harley yourself.  It's a family, albeit a different family than the Gold Wingers, and I happen to like that family.

Maybe I'm lucky, but this is my second Harley, and I've had no more problems with them than any Yamaha or Honda I have ever owned.  Everything I have gone through has been very minor, and mostly things that I could have probably lived with, had they not been covered by warranty.  I know how easy it is to get upset at Harley because you've had a poor experience with your bike, but when it comes down to it, every bike manufacturer and every car manufacturer, and most other items that you can think of have problems with something they have built.  I'm sorry that you've had problems, but I don't think that buying a Honda or a Victory, or BMW will assure you that you won't have problems either.  As far as customizing your ride, that's a personal thing and there are many Gold Wings out there with more crap added that anyone cares to look at.  I don't add things to my bike because it's a Harley.  I add things to my Harley because I'm just one of those people that just can't leave well enough alone.  There are probably more people out there running stock pipes on their Harleys than those of us that change our pipes, but I wouldn't fault Harley for having the capability of making them sound better.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »

Even though Harley hasn't really been able to tap into the younger market, I still believe that as that younger population ages, they too will switch over to Harleys, when they are able to afford to do so.  That, of course, is assuming Harley still exists.  I've talked to lots of the younger guys out there riding their crotch rockets.  Most of them have a common thread in their thinking.  Most of them mention to me that someday they'll probably trade up to a Harley.  The common thread is that they are saying "up".  So even when those sport bikes come flying by and don't wave, they still feel that the long range plan is to buy a Harley.  I'm not meaning to expand this to a new argument...just sayin'.   8)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

Even though Harley hasn't really been able to tap into the younger market, I still believe that as that younger population ages, they too will switch over to Harleys, when they are able to afford to do so.  That, of course, is assuming Harley still exists.  I've talked to lots of the younger guys out there riding their crotch rockets.  Most of them have a common thread in their thinking.  Most of them mention to me that someday they'll probably trade up to a Harley.  The common thread is that they are saying "up".  So even when those sport bikes come flying by and don't wave, they still feel that the long range plan is to buy a Harley. 

I agree Dave!

And Egultrac,

but why can't we be friends?

We are friends, , , , ,  but that doesn't mean you agree with everything your friends say?
I don't, but they will still be my friends.
It's been a great discussion on this topic.
We are all passionate about our bikes, but because we don't agree doesn't mean we are not and can't be friends.
Thanks for starting this thread!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »

I like Levi's jeans.  Some people like Lee jeans, and yet others prefer Wranglers.  The funny thing is I have never had a friend complain to me that he's tired of getting holes in his Levi's and that he is seriously considering switching brands.  If someone came to me with this information, I sure wouldn't take the time to argue about it.

It's a bit humorous at how we get all defensive when it's our bikes that we are talking about.  When push comes to shove, I really don't care what anyone else rides.  You can ride a Schwinn and I'll ride with you if you can keep up.  As I thought about this topic a bit more, there were plenty of times that I have said "F Harley...I'll never buy one again".  But I didn't really mean it.  I was just venting.

So, like Chip said, you don't have to agree or even ride the same brand of bike to be friends, but it certainly does give you something in common to talk about if you hang out with people within the same bike family.

Do you guys sometimes think that I just like to type?  I don't have much to say, but I made 4 paragraphs out of it. :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »

I like Levi's jeans.  Some people like Lee jeans, and yet others prefer Wranglers.  The funny thing is I have never had a friend complain to me that he's tired of getting holes in his Levi's and that he is seriously considering switching brands.  If someone came to me with this information, I sure wouldn't take the time to argue about it.

It's a bit humorous at how we get all defensive when it's our bikes that we are talking about.  When push comes to shove, I really don't care what anyone else rides.  You can ride a Schwinn and I'll ride with you if you can keep up.  As I thought about this topic a bit more, there were plenty of times that I have said "F Harley...I'll never buy one again".  But I didn't really mean it.  I was just venting.

So, like Chip said, you don't have to agree or even ride the same brand of bike to be friends, but it certainly does give you something in common to talk about if you hang out with people within the same bike family.

Do you guys sometimes think that I just like to type?  I don't have much to say, but I made 4 paragraphs out of it. :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Can I have an Amen Brother?    :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
  • Keep the wind in your hair, the bugs in your teeth
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »

Looks like one of those "wind up bikes"  Gonna wind up with a Harley :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Ultra Classic 96c.i., Vance & Hines basic slip on's ,Dyno Jet Power commander 5, Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

BG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Slate w/ Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLSTN Softail Deluxe Vivid Black with a crap load of Chrome (wifes)
    • CVO3: I can only hope....
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »

Even though Harley hasn't really been able to tap into the younger market, I still believe that as that younger population ages, they too will switch over to Harleys, when they are able to afford to do so.  That, of course, is assuming Harley still exists.  I've talked to lots of the younger guys out there riding their crotch rockets.  Most of them have a common thread in their thinking.  Most of them mention to me that someday they'll probably trade up to a Harley.  The common thread is that they are saying "up".  So even when those sport bikes come flying by and don't wave, they still feel that the long range plan is to buy a Harley.  I'm not meaning to expand this to a new argument...just sayin'.   8)

I think that Harley is starting to do a good job appealing to the younger market with there new line of bikes.  I do agree, most my age that I know say that they would love to trade "up" to a Harley but are unable to due to price.  At 24, I am just lucky that I could afford two.
No trees were harmed during the posting of this topic, but some electrons were greatly disturbed.

What's that you say?!?!  Let me put on my glasses....I can't hear so good without my glasses!!

Canman

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »

I happen to have an 06 CVO Ultra Classic and a 04 Victory King Pin. I bought the King Pin new and have put 28000KM on it - Sturgis, California, West Coast etc. I have also done the same trips on my Harley. I am  able to say with no bias what so ever that the Victory in many ways is superior to the Harley. Better fuel consuption, better handling(no questioning about this point) Very comfortable ride, lots of power with the 100 inch engine which was stock then. With a Harley you needed to buy up to get the bigger engine to compete with the horse power. Having said all this I love my old fashion Harley because of what it also offers, as for the looks; many people have said what a nice looking bike the Victory is. In my mind there is no question that Victory, especially with the new Cross Country will eventually get a large maket share from Harley, particularly if they don,t make some changes. The dinasoaur owners of Harleys will be replaced and Victory will be right there.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »

I still think the Victory's are nothing more then an Arlen Ness creation of an ugly Mess   ;D Another Ness Mess :confused5:

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »

Put quite simply  8)  I have friends that ride Victory's, Gold Wings, and Suzuki's and my girlfriend's Honda next to my Harley in the garage.  My feeling has always been TWO WHEELS ARE BETER THAN FOUR  :pepper:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »

I like to ride my two wheeled vehicle with others who like to ride their two wheeled vehicles.
Sometimes they like the look of my bike and sometimes I like the look of theirs.
I have no intention of getting a new two wheeled vehicle in the near future, so I best be in love with it, which I am.
But, I still love to look at the two wheeled vehicles others ride. 
Sometimes I like em, sometimes I don't care about em.
But I never really dislike any of them. 
Even the most ridiculous rat bikes have something about them that I like. 

:bananarock: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :pineapple: :coolblue: :cherry: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

Lets go for a ride together, no matter what two wheeled vehicle you choose to ride. 
It will be fun.  ;D

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »

I think that Harley is starting to do a good job appealing to the younger market with there new line of bikes.  I do agree, most my age that I know say that they would love to trade "up" to a Harley but are unable to due to price.  At 24, I am just lucky that I could afford two.

Harley is stopping production of the Beull on October 30th. That will eliminate a lot of younger buyers.

Here's a news link:http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-091015-harley-earnings,0,5025620.story

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »

You know why I like riding with other types, because when other people looks at all them they all say, I'll take the Harley.  :2vrolijk_21:
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »

Put quite simply  8)  I have friends that ride Victory's, Gold Wings, and Suzuki's and my girlfriend's Honda next to my Harley in the garage.  My feeling has always been TWO WHEELS ARE BETER THAN FOUR  :pepper:

I don't know about that,, I can think of many four wheels I'd rather ride than 'some' two wheeler.. Man I've had my eyes on a Cobra Kit car with a ground pounding 429.. now that be a four wheeler no one could deny  :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 25 queries.