Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Lifters (I know)  (Read 7164 times)

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: Lifters (I know)
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »

I couldn't help but notice that V&H carries a set similar to the SE18404-08, but I see that they are listed at 7/16, not 3/8 and carry a 5/16 thread instead of 1/4. I'd be relatively sure that they probably don't manufacture their own, but would be curious of their thoughts on spec-ing a piece that's a bit more stout. I've wondered also in some instances, where contact has been made with the push-rod tubes with varying push-rods, if these would be an issue.

Wesleypalms

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »

OK at 50k miles I decided to change mine out. Like others have said the service departments at both dealers nearby told me not to worry about them. Then this summer I lost a lifter in my Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi.
After that I started worrying on every ride. Anyway changed them yesterday. Johnson HyLift B-2313s with Harley pushrod kit. Here’s a photo of my lifters. Rear exhaust lifter has a small line, all of them were very tight.
Glad to have this behind me.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 08:04:58 PM »

When I first rode my 2012 SG at highway speeds I instantly noticed the valve train noise was not right, service dept said the same thing not to worry about it.
I ended up changing them at 3000 miles as a precaution with S&S Lifters and SE Adjustable push rods.
What a difference it made, engine is a lot quieter but still has the 2200/2600 rocker rattle which I am less concerned about. At highway speeds the engine runs smooth without any rattles, just the normal valve train noise that is nice and quiet now.
Original lifters looked okay but I was not going to take a chance and listen to a service dept that changed out the oil to HD360 on the first service without consulting with me plus stating it's normal.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »

Aussie I have the same mild noise at the same rpm. even with the rocker lockers/ S&S lifters. I wouldn't worry about it.....

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 10:25:31 PM »

Aussie I have the same mild noise at the same rpm. even with the rocker lockers/ S&S lifters. I wouldn't worry about it.....
Not worried about the noise in the 2200/2600rpm, only hear it when I am gearing up to cruising speed.
Gets quieter when the engine warms up, at highway speed engine purrs like a kitten.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »

Warm engine noise is usually related to valve lash, clearance that should not be there, cold or warming up usually points to piston slap which can be mistaken for valve train issues.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »

I am in the process of replacing my cams, lifters, and pushrods. 40k on my ‘07 FXDSE. I wasn’t happy with her performance. Couldn’t keep up with baggers(not SE)off the line and couldn’t catch up. horrible gas mileage, I got at best 33mpg if I babied the throttle under 80 with no hard acceleration from stop. I’m pretty much deaf thanks to the Army so I can’t hear any of the noises you guys are talking about, except for some reason I could hear what sounded like a ping in my primary sometimes at takeoff and turned out to be my compensator(I think, haven’t heard it since I changed the sprocket). I also wanted to be able to tune and when I bought a SEPST and attempted to load a stage 1 tune it wouldn’t let me. Told me to check connections etc. after weeks of racking my brain, tracing cables, and searching forums, I used the tuner to pull the current map. Turns out it’s a MasterTune map. So now I’m stuck with an ecm that I can’t tune, that I thought seriously needed a tune, and to top it off when I ATTEMPTED to load a tune to the bike, it married the SEPST to the ecm. So now I can’t return it and still can’t tune. I bought the bike about a year ago with 24k and not exactly sure if anything was better then because I immediately started making changes. At one point the looked up codes and found that it was looking for the tachometer signal so I put it back on hoping that would help. Not much of it did. I decided on cams. For 2 reasons. First, the performance just wasn’t there. I saw the power band on all the dyno charts and realized there’s a narrow margin for running this setup. Second, the heat is insane. I can feel my ass getting warm on the highway. When I stop at a red light I have to spread my legs and stand or it will burn me through my pants. I read that these engines just run hot because of the exhaust duration on the 255 among other things. Every time I change my oil, which is about once a month maybe every other month, the oil smells burnt and I just don’t see how this is healthy for an engine so I wanted a change. I ride cross country year round and I wanted something that would hold up on those 16 hour days, not something that I would consider overheating after 1 hour. I settled on Andrews 57H cams, don’t ask me why I don’t remember, but it had to do with looking at all of the dyno charts and explanations of what every bodies cams do. Along with the cams came the adjustable pushrods and woods alpha series lifters. I’m expecting to crack open a stock engine and my heart dropped. I saw adjustable pushrods and thought holy chit someone did a cam job and didn’t change the tune. Nope. 255 cams in the chest. And not thing changes was lifters and pushrods that I could tell. Cams may have been replaced but I wouldn’t be able to tell. I know the tensioner pads were insanely grooves so I’m guessing nobody went into the cam chest. Lifters looked pretty new. No brand on them just a long number. 5100xxxxxx I think. Anyways I put the new lifters in. They say you can only put the. In one way but I don’t see how. I guess I got them right cause they work, but they look like they could go backwards. Breather screens were full of oil replaced them and the umbrella valves. Installed rocker lockers. Installed a mechanical OP gauge. Installed the new cams and a fueling relief spring and plunger. Changed the oil. Made sure I primed the oil system all the way to the filter before I ever tried to start the engine. Married a different ecm and loaded the tune from my PV1. Started her up and oil pressure climbed to 60 within 10 seconds. Maybe more, but the gauge only goes to 60. So after much stress, tearing it back down twice to adjust the fueling spring and the put the stock back in, I’m told it’s normal. Especially a cold start with new oil on a cold day. So I’m just waiting on an updated tune with my cams on it and I’ll be testing her out. The few seconds I’ve heard she sounded great but the timing was probably off due to tune being tor 255 not Andrews 57. so who knows when I get her timed and tuned right. Don’t know if she had a lifter failure or the dealership I got her from changed them for a CYA. Either way they look brand new. I will be double, or is it triple, checking the valve lash one more time before I let her run again and warm up. I’ve done that with pretty much every step. I’m a little OCD. Took me 11 days with a few all nighters to get here now. I decided I was not going to rush and miss a step. Too much damn money involved. Anyways I will update on how I think the lifters perform, and the cams, when I get her running again. Hopefully today or tomorrow. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »

You can road tune the bike. As the person that wrote the program always says read the manual. You can get all the lower map value VEs adjusted and it makes a world of difference.  Then get it to a qualified  dyno tuner to finish the high map high rpm areas.
Nobody's canned map will be that close.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »

You can road tune the bike. As the person that wrote the program always says read the manual. You can get all the lower map value VEs adjusted and it makes a world of difference.  Then get it to a qualified  dyno tuner to finish the high map high rpm areas.
Nobody's canned map will be that close.

I’m still going to auto tune and adjust. But I want it as close as possible. At least the ignition timing adjusted closer. As you know from my other post I’m very paranoid about damage to this engine. I know I could probably roll it out and get it pretty good with a couple auto tunes but it’s not life or death to get it done today. I can wait an extra day or two to get the better map. With the way it wa idling, chugging, what seemed like a backfire from the intake, I’d just rather wait. That’s also why I’m double checking the valve lash when I get home too. From what I understand there’s only one way to install the Woods Alpha series lifters but I’m gonna double check that too since I’ve got the push rods loose anyways. Just pull the rods and check the lifters, 5 minutes labor for peace of mind. Gonna do a compression check too since it ain’t going nowhere right now anyways.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »

These came out of it.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 10:07:11 PM »

Not sure what this number is. Google comes up empty.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 10:08:39 PM »

Inner bearing surface. It’s discolored but no scoring and no noticeable wear, though I’m sure a machinist could find some.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »

Both cams appear in the same shape.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2020, 10:10:28 PM »

I thought they would have a part number or say SE. Never saw a part labeled as CVO.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 11:34:25 PM »

i really like those cams.. in a 96 ultra with sidecar.. they are worth a whole pile of torque and are quiet. still pulling hard at 80.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.