Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Lifters (I know)  (Read 7153 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Lifters (I know)
« on: October 08, 2020, 08:39:43 PM »

My 16 has 18,xxx miles on it. I am thinking of having the lifters replaced. I talked to my Indy about it and he thinks there really isn't a need for it, but he will change them if I want him to. So I am unsure what I want to do. I have read a few of the past threads and some people change them for piece of mind and other because they have to.

I use to have the cold start tick but I switched to royal purple oil two years ago and the cold start tick is gone, there is no noise at all, ever. Should I spend the money to replace them or just wait? He uses fueling lifters in his builds and that's what would go in. If I have them replaced will it be good or is this something that will need to be done every 20k or so? Just not sure what path I want to take.

Thanks
Kevin

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Lifters (I know)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 09:05:44 PM »

just change the lifters, its pretty cheap and then its done.. if you pull the tank and covers the whole cost is less than 200 ... well i did my own labor. its pretty easy actually.  lots of folks still say not to do it - then you get to do a whole engine when they fail.

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 06:47:46 AM »

When I had my 16 CVO Limited the lifters went at 20k and then 36k, traded in at 52k but probably would have needed them soon again because the Harley lifters in the 110's are junk, had the extended warranty so only cost 50 bucks.  So I would change them and if doing yourself put S&S in there and be done with it.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »

My 16 has 18,xxx miles on it. I am thinking of having the lifters replaced. I talked to my Indy about it and he thinks there really isn't a need for it, but he will change them if I want him to. So I am unsure what I want to do. I have read a few of the past threads and some people change them for piece of mind and other because they have to.

I use to have the cold start tick but I switched to royal purple oil two years ago and the cold start tick is gone, there is no noise at all, ever. Should I spend the money to replace them or just wait? He uses fueling lifters in his builds and that's what would go in. If I have them replaced will it be good or is this something that will need to be done every 20k or so? Just not sure what path I want to take.

Thanks
Kevin
I suggest you get in touch with Bob Thoma, Razorback Performance, 715.985.2236

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 05:43:30 PM »

i have changed mine twice now on my 16, 52k miles. its easy an easy task, i reused stock push rods and gaskets both times (got lucky and no leaks yet) takes about 3 hours for me. im a rookie and you tube makes it a no brainer
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 02:34:44 PM »

Stock lifter failed at 24K on 2010 FLHXSE and replaced, with necessary repairs due to failure, under warranty. Replaced at 44K with S&S lifters and adjustable pushrods. Replaced again at 69K and will do so each 24K as long as I have the bike. Relatively cheap preventative maintenance.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »

If it was mine they would have already been changed. You are taking a chance running them and it really doesn't cost that much compared to an engine.

Timbuck2

• AK

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »

If it was mine they would have already been changed. You are taking a chance running them and it really doesn't cost that much compared to an engine.

+1

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 09:10:23 PM »

Dropping the bike off Friday to have the lifters changed out.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »

Dropping the bike off Friday to have the lifters changed out.

Curious,....changed out with what?

I'm no expert compared to others on here, but it's my understanding that it's not so much the lifters that fail due to poor quality of lifter but a combination of heavy valve springs in the 110 motor plus the 255 cams that have aggressive  lobes that do the lifters in.
 I've read about the stock cams being removed and a bolt in cam set with less aggressive lobes installed that deliver good performance and saves on continuous lifter replacement.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »

This time it's just lifters and push rods. I'm thinking of changing the cam in the future just not now.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 10:42:57 AM »

Replaced mine at 20,000 on my 13'. As also did my own with S&S. Very happy and quieter. While your in there replace the oil breather filters.... Money ahead..

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 07:19:17 PM »

on a stock bike - any cam change requires a tune.. that's 500 bux.

so whatever cost for the cam and work - add the cost of a tune.

the 255 cam is THE BEST under 75mph.. if you ride at speeds higher than that - there are better cams.

i run a 255 cam.. its great - and ill change the lifters every 20 k or less

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »

Lifters and cams replaced under ESP at 22,000 miles.
Motor rebuilt under ESP at around 25,000.

I just changed out my lifters and added adjustable push rods at 45,000. Bike was running great; just didn't trust the lifters.
Sure enough, one lifter was just starting to go out. Roller had excess movement. Probably needle bearings in roller going bad. Who knows how much damage would have occurred if I waited until I started to hear noise.

Changing the lifters every 25,000 miles or so is just like buying insurance. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

You're making the wise choice.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 02:44:31 PM »

The 110 is very well known for it's lifter issue. As I read about this problem for years I have listened to the folks that do lots of engines, and work on them almost everyday. It is a combination of things, so when the time comes do yourself a favor and address that combination: Oiling, Lifters, Cam Ramp, Valve Spring pressure.

I have done a few like this and I like the results. As far as the oiling is concerned, put in a good cam plate and oil pump. Personally I like S&S the plate allows for better oiling overall and you will also notice a difference on your oil pressure. The other stuff, everybody likes what they like and there are lots of good products.

Good Luck

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.