Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 120293 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »

A quick note here to the FXR crowd.  Perhaps more than others on the site you populate your own section here and don't read through other areas as much.  Very cool bikes so its understandable that your interests are as they are.

Didn't want to take a chance that you might miss an event though.  In May of next year in Eureka Springs will be a CVO Gathering that we're featuring as a CVO 10th annivesary or birthday party.  Since the FXR started it all it would be great if there was strong FXR representation at the event.

Featuring FXRs in some way is already being discussed if there are enough bikes there to feature.  Information on the event itself can be found here:

Hope that all the FXR bikes are represented and that a great many of you are able to attend.  The Gathering events we do are always lots of fun.  It'll be even better with those that started it all here in attandance.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »

I could chatter about how I want one...does that count? 

I thought Don had traded me Brians Blue for some beer, but the deal never panned out.  Or was that for the serg?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »

I could chatter about how I want one...does that count? 

I thought Don had traded me Brians Blue for some beer, but the deal never panned out.  Or was that for the serg?

Was that the deal Sean was a part of? 

There have been so many with Brian's bikes.....  :confused5:

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 09:53:45 PM »

Hello Gentleman, How are you? I guess all is well as far as I can read, lol. I haven't been on the site lately but haven't forgotten about it or any of you either I've just been a bit busy lately. Well here is a suprise. As I mentioned to Tim in a reply when he wanted to start a FXR section, I was thinking of getting a Shovelhead. So today I bought one. A 1984 FLHX. I know the 1999 FXR is the first CVO vehicle, but in 1984, when HD was changing to the Evolution motor, they(HD) made some FLH's with the Shovelhead motor and called it the FLHX-Special Edition. It has about 20Kmi. and is all stock. So , now I have two winter projects, ie. the tank on the FXR3 and possibly redo the shovel. A buddy of mine is ready to jump in and do the shovel and the tank( he's a former Marine too Blaine). So I hope you all understand why I've been absent. Howie, I'm sure I'll be calling you for your expertise on this matter if you don't mine.  Well, I GTG. I hope everyone has a Very Happy Thanksgiving and hope to chat soon.

Best to all,

George

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 07:36:52 AM »

Twolanerider,

Thank you sincerely for the invite to Eureka Springs, but personally as I have shared before I find myself more interested in getting a small group of CVO (as well as other 1982-1994 FXR Owners) FXR Owners together sometime in the future. 

Hopefully if such is deemed interesting by others, down the road we can have such a discussion in the "EVENT CHATTER" Section.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:47:15 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:06 AM »

Hey George.....

Good to hear from you.....CONGRATULATIONS on your new bike.....looks like you and the wife will be helping the economy in a "bigger" way soon....such as a "GARAGE EDITION" soon....lol if you need some ideas we can start another thread for that topic....lol....Would be great to see a couple of photos of your new bike.....

Have you been getting ready to work on your tank of your FXR3 yet?

Howie did you see the "Blue FXR3" for sale on Ebay? 

Can you guys believe it, it's already Thursday.....another week is flying by...

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 02:31:55 PM »

Question about SE Heads.

I know that some of you have SE Heads on your FXR's   (RedFxr2 has them, and others too I'm sure)

I have a new set of SE Heads (SE Silver Highlighted Evo® Cylinder Heads 16851-98A)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__SCREAMIN-EAGLE-EVOLUTION-1340-HEADS-SILVER-16851-98A_W0QQitemZ110309604657QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110309604657&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
that I'm going to put on when I do my build next month

here's my question

It's been mentioned to me that I might consider taking the heads to a shop to have them 'cleaned up' and 'set up' before I install them.

Those of you that put these SE Heads on your FXRs ...... did you have anything done to the heads before you installed them ?

I was anticipating that I could take these heads directly from the box and install them on the bike ....... am I wrong on this ?

If something should be done to these heads, what would it be ?

I don't expect to have to have them ported and polished ....... otherwise I cold have just had that done to the stock heads ..... what am I missing ?

Thanks for listening to my chatter   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:34:57 PM by fxr4mikey »
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 02:48:18 PM »

1) Screen Name: Black Diamond 110
2) Given Name  ie: First Name: Jeff
3) Age: 53
4) Location: State: Central Illinois
5) FXR Model Owned: 1984 FXRS Low Glide "Eve"
6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one: This is my first Harley. I took it on a test ride and fell in love with her. This was the first year for the Evo. From what little information that was available at the time, I felt Harley had finally made a bike worth me investing in. I have plenty of Harley friends that gave me a lot of grief for buying a "Jap" Harley. They all ride Harley's with aluminum motors now!
7) No major mods. Had to replace the original carb years ago. Had to repaint as she had her paint damaged during a chemical munition school. Don't ask. Solid disc rear wheel & 21" front chrome rim. I am in the process of fixing her back to riding trim. My son will ride her until such time as he moves on to another scooter, at which time she comes home to me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:10:23 PM by Black Diamond 110 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »

fxrmikey,

I know Mike (REDFXR2) will have an opinion......as well as hopefully others.....
Excellent questions.....

Personally, I have put ported and polished heads on my 2002 RKC Twin Cam and spent a good deal of money for them for that matter and I am not entirely certain the money invested was completely beneficial, while simply having gone to "screamin eagle heads" may have been a more "benefical" result given the difference in $$$$$ spent.....and at the end of the day....while I stand without support here....(lol, my "crate" is very "fragile") since Mike and others will have better opinions, I totally agree with your "logic" that the heads don't need "polishing" or "porting" or else what would be the point of getting them......you start modifying them as you questioned above and all of a sudden one change leads to the next.....So I am with the "logic" that says do nothing to them and use them "out of the box" the way they come....although I totally would listen to others "opinions" on this matter.....

:2vrolijk_21:
Thanks for your "chatter".....  AWESOME..... :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:02:37 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »

Question about SE Heads.

I know that some of you have SE Heads on your FXR's   (RedFxr2 has them, and others too I'm sure)

I have a new set of SE Heads (SE Silver Highlighted Evo® Cylinder Heads 16851-98A)
that I'm going to put on when I do my build next month.

here's my question

It's been mentioned to me that I might consider taking the heads to a shop to have them 'cleaned up' and 'set up' before I install them.

Those of you that put these SE Heads on your FXRs ...... did you have anything done to the heads before you installed them ?

Nope.

I was anticipating that I could take these heads directly from the box and install them on the bike ....... am I wrong on this ?

Nope.

If something should be done to these heads, what would it be ?

I'm not sure on this one.  My opinion is that there will always be guys who specializr in head work who can and will think of something else to do.  Different valves or different springs or cc'ing the chambers or the often mentioned port and polish jobs.  Is it worth it above the benefit you're already getting by using the heads as they come?  IMO, that depends on how much of a seeker of the last possible HP or ft-lb you are.  And how much these various things cost.

I don't expect to have to have them ported and polished ....... otherwise I could have just had that done to the stock heads ..... what am I missing ?

IMO nothing.  Yes, you could have had your stock heads reworked.  How that result would compare to the SE heads (out of the box) depends on alot of factors.  And how the cost of reworking the stockers compares with new SE heads is again dependent on a lot of variables.

Thanks for listening to my chatter.   

Looking back on it I went with the SE heads as they come from HD for a number of reasons.  The ebay price (new in the box) was about $500.  I didn't figure I could get my stock heads worked for much if any less.  Also, I knew what I was going to get with the SE heads in terms of performance gains.  A custom re-work job on stock heads would be hard to quantify ahead of time, and could be difficult to communicate with the guy doing the work.  And I could simply bolt on the new heads when I did the work, as opposed to boxing up the stock heads, shipping them out, waiting for return and proceeding with the motor work.  This could have taken weeks instead of the two days it took my Tech with all the parts in hand.  And finally, I had this "Screaming Eagle" theme in mind with my bike.  I wanted to make my FXR2 a "Screaming Eagle" (or sort of, anyway)  like the newer CVO's.  So yes, I just plain wanted the SE heads as a part of that theme.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »

Hello Gentleman, How are you? I guess all is well as far as I can read, lol. I haven't been on the site lately but haven't forgotten about it or any of you either I've just been a bit busy lately. Well here is a suprise. As I mentioned to Tim in a reply when he wanted to start a FXR section, I was thinking of getting a Shovelhead. So today I bought one. A 1984 FLHX. I know the 1999 FXR is the first CVO vehicle, but in 1984, when HD was changing to the Evolution motor, they(HD) made some FLH's with the Shovelhead motor and called it the FLHX-Special Edition. It has about 20Kmi. and is all stock. So , now I have two winter projects, ie. the tank on the FXR3 and possibly redo the shovel. A buddy of mine is ready to jump in and do the shovel and the tank( he's a former Marine too Blaine). So I hope you all understand why I've been absent. Howie, I'm sure I'll be calling you for your expertise on this matter if you don't mine.  Well, I GTG. I hope everyone has a Very Happy Thanksgiving and hope to chat soon.

Best to all,

George

Good to hear from ya George. And surprise, surprise! Another bike! HeHe!!! You thought you had troubles with your FXR! You just got a Troublehead! ;D ;D ;D

Oh boy, we'll have some fun with you now!!! You're lucky Vern's a shovel expert if ya need one!!! ;)

Tim, I hadn't seen the bike on EBay. Haven't really been looking anymore either. Hopefully Brian got his info though! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

Hello Gentleman, How are you?

<snip>

Best to all,

George

George--good to hear from you again.  Any pics of the new project?

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »

Jeff, (Black Diamond 110) welcome to the FXR Section, and thanks for posting information about yourself and your FXR,

Given the number of posts you have made apparently you have another "model" of a "CVO" bike?  Anyway....so let's see, are you the "original" owner of your FXR?  I think you are given the "elements" and "descriptions" provided above, but I am still curious....Thanks for posting a photo as well...."a picture is worth a 1,000 words", so says "KODAK", speaking of "KODAK" well at least they haven't asked for a "bail out" yet.....lol.....

If you get a chance perhaps you might go over the "FXR HISTORY" Thread, here is a link, simply place your curser over the address below, click, view and read ~~~~~>

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

and maybe you could post another photo of your FXR and provide a bit of "historical" perspective there as well....so many continue to "view" the thread as it is and continuing to receive any information from an "older" FXR Owner is AlWAYS priceless.....I for one would appreciate your effort.....

Keep on "chatterin" with us over here.....oh and that's really nice of you to share your bike with your son.....I like the fact that it will be returned back to you....spoken like a true "fanatic" of an FXR Owner....lol

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:36:03 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »

Black Diamond 110--welcome to the FXR page.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »

Jeff, (Black Diamond 110) welcome to the FXR Section, and thanks for posting information about yourself and your FXR,

Given the number of posts you have made apparently you have another "model" of a "CVO" bike?  Anyway....so let's see, are you the "original" owner of your FXR?  I think you are given the "elements" and "descriptions" provided above, but I am still curious....Thanks for posting a photo as well...."a picture is worth a 1,000 words", so says "KODAK", speaking of "KODAK" well at least they haven't asked for a "bail out" yet.....lol.....

If you get a chance perhaps you might go over the "FXR HISTORY" Thread, here is a link, simply place your curser over the address below, click, view and read ~~~~~>

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

and maybe you could post another photo of your FXR and provide a bit of "historical" perspective there as well....so many continue to "view" the thread as it is and continuing to receive any information from an "older" FXR Owner is AlWAYS priceless.....I for one would appreciate your effort.....

Keep on "chatterin" with us over here.....oh and that's really nice of you to share your bike with your son.....I like the fact that it will be returned back to you....spoken like a true "fanatic" of an FXR Owner....lol

Regards,

Tim

Ya, I have an 08 SERK. I have done most of my posting in regards to that scooter.  I am the original owner of Eve. Harley was sponsoring a test ride program in 84 on the new Evolution bikes. I test drove this bike and talked to the owner about purchasing the bike after the test ride program was complete. She agreed with the understanding she had no idea how many miles the bike would have. I purchased the bike for just over $6000.00 out the door.

At one time I had a tall sissy bar with pillow pad on it to match the stock seat. This bike is very responsive to the riders imput. I rode her alot at first. Then I got on the SWAT team and for the next 28 years I was lugging gear and a SMG/M-4 around 24/7. Plus two kids. Not a lot of riding time.

She's been to the Peoria TT races and Springfield Mile. She's always turned heads and got comments. I knew after I bought her I'd never let her go. My Ex-Wife no problem...The FXR, I don't think so.

Now I'm chasing down an electrical problem. I will get her right for next year as I'm retired and can finally have a life.

Back in the day most of the "real" Harley riders on their Shovels would look down their nose at anyone on an Evo. They were not "real Harleys". Rubber mounted aluminum motors....Oh my God! The MoCo took a big chance knowing how die hard some riders are. It paid off. The Evo helped save the company back in the really bad economic days. I'll post more when I get some free time. I'll try to dig up some old photos.   This is a great scooter!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:01:51 PM by Black Diamond 110 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 20 queries.