Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dually Guys Tire Pressure Question  (Read 1924 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Dually Guys Tire Pressure Question
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »

Okay, I've bought the Milton hook style gauge and it also has the straight port too.  I got the Milton, same head, tire air chuck so I can get to the rear outside wheel pointed in valve stems.

But for the life of me I cannot see the inside dual valve stems.  Are they supposed to come outward as a mirror of the outside dual wheel?

I have the Alcoa aluminum wheel option and the inside rears are steel wheels.  Is this common or did someone swap out to steel in lieu of the aluminum not being able to be cleaned?

So am I going to have to crawl under my truck to check the inside duals?

I know, you guys cannot see my truck, but I thought this may be common with duallys and I'm just up to speed yet.

Also, I have something that's been added as a sticker inside the door.  It's about lower psi when unloaded.  Is this about what you guys do for daily driving?

Thanks again guys...  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Dually Guys Tire Pressure Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:13:31 PM »

Dan there are options for different angle valve stems, etc.  You can even connect the two tires to one valve.  Go to a truck tire center, they'll usually have a few options in stock and can share their experience with you, first hand.  Otherwise, Amazon.

I didn't know anything about less air pressure on empty truck.  I had my truck and Momentum weighed where they weigh each tire individually.  It lets you know where to shift the heavy things and the light things, etc.  I had my truck tires set at the max as posted on the Michelins.  They advised me to let some air out of the front and run them at 65psi and the rears at 75psi.  See the attachement.

Keep in mind that this is when I'm loaded and hooked up so the trailer is going to put the weight on the back of the truck and pull some weight off of the front.  I am having the same people do the individual wheels weighing again, in Indiaian in late Aug.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »

First, based on comments I've heard from those who run dual rears, avoid the tire valve extenders some places sell that screw onto the inner wheel valve stem and stick out through a hole in the outer wheel.  They seem to have a propensity for failing and dumping all the air.

When the wheels are mounted they should be aligned so the valve stem on the inner wheel lines up with one of the holes in the outer wheel, and equip that inner valve stem with one of the caps that doesn't have to be removed to check the air pressure.  Then your special extended tire gauge should be able to check both inner and outer pressures.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:31:59 PM »

Thank you both very much.

I've got a lot to learn about this RV stuff.

I think I'll pull off one of the outside rears this weekend to see what's going on inside.

Is it common to have aluminum on the outside and steel wheels on the inside?

Thanks again and have a great evening.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:10:43 PM »

Thank you both very much.

I've got a lot to learn about this RV stuff.

I think I'll pull off one of the outside rears this weekend to see what's going on inside.

Is it common to have aluminum on the outside and steel wheels on the inside?

Thanks again and have a great evening.

Yes, that's normal.

Also, ask for steel valve stems to be put in your rims vs. the rubber stems.

There are many different kinds of extenders.  Some have the U shape or horsehoe shape, here are a set of straight extender....https://www.amazon.com/Dually-Valve-Stem-Extenders-Extensions/dp/B07D1H5182

And here's a set of J shaped extenders....  https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflation-and-Repair/Wheel-Masters/WM8029180.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9pDpBRCkARIsAOzRzit9WDbWC4SmJZBP0wn5QndTlPnFa-BsQJTGe3SwX79UVxLEyHO_FokaAmduEALw_wcB

But as Jerry pointed out, if your wheels are lined up correctly, you should be able to reach even the shortest valve stem through the outside wheel.  Car tire shops don't seem to know this.  I've even had them try to tell me there's no way to align them like that.  Those people don't have truck experience so then you have to show them.  Truck tire shops know and have done it without asking.

Dan I've been a full time RVer for a couple of years.  I've also completed RV Maint. Tech. school down in Texas and I'm certified by NRVIA as a Level I and Level II RV Inspector.  If you've got a question that I can help you with.....post it up or shoot me a message.  Happy to help.  I've also pulled a 42' 5th wheel toyhauler literally ocean to ocean twice and half way back across on our third trip across this country.  In Colorado until Aug and then we'll be headed to Indiana.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:14:19 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »

Yes, that's normal.

Also, ask for steel valve stems to be put in your rims vs. the rubber stems.

There are many different kinds of extenders.  Some have the U shape or horsehoe shape, here are a set of straight extender....https://www.amazon.com/Dually-Valve-Stem-Extenders-Extensions/dp/B07D1H5182

And here's a set of J shaped extenders....  https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflation-and-Repair/Wheel-Masters/WM8029180.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9pDpBRCkARIsAOzRzit9WDbWC4SmJZBP0wn5QndTlPnFa-BsQJTGe3SwX79UVxLEyHO_FokaAmduEALw_wcB

But as Jerry pointed out, if your wheels are lined up correctly, you should be able to reach even the shortest valve stem through the outside wheel.  Car tire shops don't seem to know this.  I've even had them try to tell me there's no way to align them like that.  Those people don't have truck experience so then you have to show them.  Truck tire shops know and have done it without asking.

Dan I've been a full time RVer for a couple of years.  I've also completed RV Maint. Tech. school down in Texas and I'm certified by NRVIA as a Level I and Level II RV Inspector.  If you've got a question that I can help you with.....post it up or shoot me a message.  Happy to help.  I've also pulled a 42' 5th wheel toyhauler literally ocean to ocean twice and half way back across on our third trip across this country.  In Colorado until Aug and then we'll be headed to Indiana.

JCZ, thanks.

I plan on taking off the rear wheels this weekend to check out the stem issue.

The stems are steel on the wheels now, so I should be good to go in that respect.

Thanks for the info on the steel/aluminum wheels.  Just would have thought all wheels were interchangeable from spot to spot on the truck.  Maybe they are, but you wouldn't want to run them that way.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 07:50:22 AM »

I had diesel crew cab dually for 15 years as our family car / rv hauler when the kids where at home.

I ran 70 psi all around when loaded with family and RV.

60 up front when empty and 45 in the rear empty.  Pretty much what the GMC owners manual called for.

I always made sure the inner and out rear valve stem were in the same location, makes it easy to find the inner.  As mentioned use steel valve stems.

Do not connect them, if one goes flat when connected so does the other.  That defeats a big advantage of a dually.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »

Thanks Dave.

I already have the steel stems and I know they're not connected.  Just need to find the inside wheel stem... :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:34 PM »

Steel is normal inside with the Alcoa outers. Something you might want to look at too, or someone correct me if I am wrong but it could be the the outer is not indexed in time to the inner and the valve is actually behind the wheel. Not sure if that can still be done on the newer Bud style wheels but it is possible on the older wheels
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I'll spend some time this weekend doing a good interior detailing and a good wax job and a little rubbing compound on the outside here and there.

I plan on taking off both rear duals and seeing what's up with the valve stem alignments.  Both rears are at a point that I can't see the inside dual stem.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I'll spend some time this weekend doing a good interior detailing and a good wax job and a little rubbing compound on the outside here and there.

I plan on taking off both rear duals and seeing what's up with the valve stem alignments.  Both rears are at a point that I can't see the inside dual stem.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Dan just keep spinning the wheel one lug at a time.  Eventually you'll find the right combination where the inside wheel valve stem will be visable and accessable with the outside wheel on.   :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.