Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to EVO motors, and I have a few (dumb?) questions  (Read 4833 times)

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
New to EVO motors, and I have a few (dumb?) questions
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »

OK, let me start by saying I am good with a wrench, and do most of my own repairs and maintenance on my 08 RK. I stopped by the local dealer today and ordered up my service & parts manuals, but it will be a week or so before I have them.

Having just purchased my 99 FXR3, I went to looking it over for fluid changes as a first-to-do item. I had to convince the parts guy my bike had an EVO, and then had to ask the service guy to make sure I wasn't going to buy the twin-cam oil filter, when I was sure I needed a EVO oil filter. He said yes, and I proceeded back to the parts guy to make my choice.

Now, my first question is this; does the EVO motor use the same 20/50 as the twin-cam? Are the primary and tranny lubes the same as well? I have a bunch stocked up for my 08, but wanted to make sure I am using the right oil.

Also, is there any info I need to know about these motors, and how they differ from the twin-cam as far as up-keep, etc? Cam tensioners? Spark plugs? Clutch adjustment? Any info for a new EVO owner would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jon

zn14

Re: New to EVO motors, and I have a few (dumb?) questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

same fluids as the twincam....smart of you to only use an evo oil filter....
no cam tensioners, geared system....the only week spot of the evo engine is the inner cam bearing....
you should change it to a torrington bearing and since you're in there change the cam.... much easier to do than a twincam
and ALOT less expensive......the hardest part is decided which cam to put in, I like andrews 27.......
you'll find the evo to be more reliable and less expensive and easier to work on....
good luck

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:36:49 PM »

Welcome Jonny....
Just curious.......what made up your mind to buy a FXR?
What part of Washington?.......I ride down there (from B.C.) ....enjoy your beautiful state!
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »

same fluids as the twincam....smart of you to only use an evo oil filter....
no cam tensioners, geared system....the only week spot of the evo engine is the inner cam bearing....
you should change it to a torrington bearing and since you're in there change the cam.... much easier to do than a twincam
and ALOT less expensive......the hardest part is decided which cam to put in, I like andrews 27.......
you'll find the evo to be more reliable and less expensive and easier to work on....
good luck

Thanks ZN, I appreciate the info!

Welcome Jonny....
Just curious.......what made up your mind to buy a FXR?
What part of Washington?.......I ride down there (from B.C.) ....enjoy your beautiful state!

I was looking for a second bike to ride locally, and the overwhelming response from people I talked to was GET AN FXR! So then I started looking and stumbled on these FXR2/3/4's and fell in love :) As luck would have it I found the only blue one for sale in the NW, and it was 5 hours from home. Home, by the way, is in SWWA, 20 minutes north of Portland, OR. (Woodland, WA)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »

Most important thing on an EVO is let it warm up good before taking off. Otherwise you can blow base gaskets.

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:16 AM »

As ZN suggested.......Andrews EV27, with the Torrington cam bearing.....while you're in there, a steel breather gear.
The EV27 responds well to a compression bump....plane the heads, or get a bit of head work done....stay with the stock size valves.
Not sure if you are running a CV carb, but they are easy to tweak, and work well also.
The FXR is a very 'hands-on' motorcycle, and it doesn't take a bunch of $ to make it quicker.....
I have a EV27 in one of my FXRs, after trying a few others.......EV27 would be a good choice in a lightweight bike.
Yours already has the 3.15 gearing, which works well riding one-up with a lighter rider.  The earlier FXRs were geared 3.37.  I changed mine to 3.15 many years ago....
Pipes are a whole subject unto itself......lots of choices, and opinions...
There are many chassis tweaks that enhance the FXR.....if yours is 'stock pristine'....you may want to keep it that way, but a fork brace is well worth the $......shocks, and fork tweaks work well also....lots of options.
Do let it warm up a bit
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »

Most folks have answered your questions...couple of my comments (I have a 96 Heritage Softail):
- I use 20/50 dino oil in the engine; HD Formula + in the primary; Mobil 1 75W/90 synthetic gear lube in the tranny
- I replaced the weak single piston front brake caliper with a Hawg Halter 4 piston stopper...works great
- you may have a manually adjusted primary chain...max deflection = 7/8-in
- there is a screen to clean when changing engine oil - it's on the right side with a screwed plug next to the oil pressure switch
- recommend adding a Kuryakyn LED volt meter to monitor charging system health
- your brake fluid is likely DOT 5 silicone fluid - yours may need flushing

That's about all I can think of now.
Enjoy that great sounding EVO engine!
T

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »

Great info fellas! I was thinking the same thing, on the brake fluid. Has anyone had a problem removing the fuel screen from the tank? I pulled the tank off my bike, to put the original back on, and the screen on the other tank seems stuck, and only wants to come half way out. I'm guessing the tube has something to do with this? Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

zn14

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »

if I remember correctly, big if, the screen has a plastic frame that is causing the tight fit on removal.  I think I slid it up a little and then yanked down.
I do not remember any other hoses or anything in there.

bow

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:00:37 AM »

hey i just got one to and i no nothing about any of them !

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:28:08 AM »

if I remember correctly, big if, the screen has a plastic frame that is causing the tight fit on removal.  I think I slid it up a little and then yanked down.
I do not remember any other hoses or anything in there.
Once I got the tank off, I just had to grab it with some pliers and give it a good tug and it came right out.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.