Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley Recall - Clutch issues on CVO models  (Read 9683 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Harley Recall - Clutch issues on CVO models
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »

Harley-Davidson to voluntarily recall 238,300 motorbikes for hydraulic clutch issues.

https://motorbikewriter.com/harley-hydraulic-clutch-recalled-again
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:47:33 AM by DesertHOG »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Harley Recall - Clutch issues on CVO models
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »

Hi Simon.  The links don't work.   :nixweiss:  I also posted about this in the 'Harley Earnings Preview' section as it was announced along with moco earnings.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »

This one worked when I clicked on it.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/harley-davidson-to-voluntarily-recall-238300-motorbikes-for-hydraulic-clutch-assembly-2018-10-23-7912941
238,300 motorbikes for hydraulic clutch assembly
Published: Oct 23, 2018 7:29 a.m. ET
Harley-Davidson Inc. HOG, -3.28% said Tuesday it is voluntarily recalling 238,300 motorcycles for a hydraulic clutch assembly. The motorbike giant said the recalls involves all model year 2017 and 2018 Touring, Trike and CVO Touring models, as well as certain 2017 Softail models. The company is expecting the recall to cost $35 million, which will be booked in the fourth quarter. The company announced the recall in a regulatory filing, shortly after reporting earnings for the third quarter that blew past estimates. Shares were up 1.7% premarket, but have fallen 27.9% in 2018, while the S&P 500 SPX, -1.55% has gained 3.1%.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »

What is the clutch doing wrong?
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »

From recall page at HD:

Last updated Oct 23, 2018
The hydraulic clutch system with secondary clutch actuator part numbers 37200131and 37200131A on the subject motorcycles may exhibit an internal leak of fluid past the secondary clutch actuator piston/seal. If this leak continues for an extended period, the clutch master cylinder reservoir could lose enough fluid toexpose the hydraulic clutch circuit to air, which may result in the inability togenerate enough lift to disengage the clutch.

Model 2017 Ultra Limited CVO

Safety risk
If this condition remains undetected, it could lead to a loss of control of the vehicle when started in gear, first shifted into gear, or coming to a stop.

Remedy
Owners of affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, who will confirm that the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will install a new secondary actuator piston assembly from the recall kit, P/N 91500093. This service will beprovided at no charge to the customer.
We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »

Local dealer says parts available mid November.  I am #1 on the list, looks like I get a "free" clutch fluid change as part of the recall but not sure about that.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »

I went to the H-D website, typed in my VIN and received this:

2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »

I'm'a guessin that a clutch not operating correctly outweighs engine sumping and transmission to primary fluid migration...as long as you can activate the clutch when it sumps so you pull off the road, you are good to go... :nixweiss:

I personally like the hydraulic clutch so as to not wanting to adjust cables after all these years but come on.  How hard is it to get a hydraulic clutch right?  My '15 had a clutch recall and they actually extended my warranty (just on the clutch) a few months because of it.  Now we have another clutch issue?  Dang it all boys, who is operating this train?   >:(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:58:17 PM by Haird »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »

I'm'a guessin that a clutch not operating correctly outweighs engine sumping and transmission to primary fluid migration...as long as you can activate the clutch when it sumps so you pull off the road, you are good to go... :nixweiss:

I personally like the hydraulic clutch so as to not wanting to adjust cables after all these years but come on.  How hard is it to get a hydraulic clutch right?  My '15 had a clutch recall and they actually extended my warranty (just on the clutch) a few months because of it.  Now we have another clutch issue?  Dang it all boys, who is operating this train?   >:(

Blow $35mil on this recall...
My guess is the guy in this song.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:11:20 PM by iski »

mark

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »

I've become a believer that HD should abandon engine development and farm that out to a contractor, like they did with the V-Rod Revolution.  If it wasn't so painful for those that spent a lot of money for a bike, it would be comical. 

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

Clutch recall. 2017-2018
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »

A friend sent me this. Does any one have any inside in this? The article doesn’t explain what the problem is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/82c990ff-8da3-349a-abe5-5c80edccb322/harley-davidson-recalling.html

Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The  A-Team.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

Re: Clutch recall. 2017-2018
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:05 PM »

A friend sent me this. Does any one have any inside in this? The article doesn’t explain what the problem is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/82c990ff-8da3-349a-abe5-5c80edccb322/harley-davidson-recalling.html

Just scroll up and read post #4 or #6
Red Knights MAL

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »

I’m riding this weekend hopefully it’s good.
Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The  A-Team.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »

Heard that parts are shipping next week for this recall. 

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »

Little good that does me.  Might be snowing by the time they start doing the recall work, which means I have to wait until spring at the earliest.  Dealer won't provide transport (I am an hour away).   I might have to re-think our April plans to recreate our honeymoon anniversary ride to Key West.
Red Knights MAL
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.