Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 2008 FXSTSSE2 new compensator required  (Read 6574 times)

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
Re: 2008 FXSTSSE2 new compensator required
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:54 AM »

Dropped past my HD dealer today , and the Harley # 6557 thrust washer is on "back order" so may be a wee while methinks !

The Compensaver thrust washer looks well engineered to allow oil ingress against the effects of centrifugal force.

No reply yet from GMR performance , but their website does say "sales are suspended" I was just hopeful to pick up a cheeky spare/leftover maybe..

I may be riding with the "whirring" a wee tad longer than planned...I notice same roadspeed changing up or down a gear the noise "goes".

what that tells me the whirring/chattering is for sure RPM related

I am starting to think "Inner primary bearing" OR Loose front sprocket ( apparently that can happen to twincams but I have never seen it personally before now !

Short of another inner/outer primary off scenario , what is the best way to check for a "loose" sprocket ?

I have put in in first gear while not running and rocked it back and forth and there is "play" Re the belt travel.

That was a suggestion at the Indy shop this AM as a "maybe"..
No illegitimi carborundum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »

Dropped past my HD dealer today , and the Harley # 6557 thrust washer is on "back order" so may be a wee while methinks !

The Compensaver thrust washer looks well engineered to allow oil ingress against the effects of centrifugal force.

No reply yet from GMR performance , but their website does say "sales are suspended" I was just hopeful to pick up a cheeky spare/leftover maybe..

I may be riding with the "whirring" a wee tad longer than planned...I notice same roadspeed changing up or down a gear the noise "goes".

what that tells me the whirring/chattering is for sure RPM related

I am starting to think "Inner primary bearing" OR Loose front sprocket ( apparently that can happen to twincams but I have never seen it personally before now !

Short of another inner/outer primary off scenario , what is the best way to check for a "loose" sprocket ?

I have put in in first gear while not running and rocked it back and forth and there is "play" Re the belt travel.

That was a suggestion at the Indy shop this AM as a "maybe"..

The inner case bearing is more of a rumbling noise. I had mine blow out, it's a noise that sounds like it's about to fall apart.
Pic's of the bearing.

How was/is your chain tension? To tight a chain will blow out the inner bearing the bearing race and snap off clutch hub splines .
If you're running with the Harley Davidson  automatic tensioner it can over tighten the chain and you don't know it until the damage is done. If you haven't already changed it it would be a good idea to do so.

Try not to over think the noise you're hearing you'll most likely find it's the thrust bearing.

For your peace of mind pull the clutch (seeing how you'll have primary open) and check the inner hub splines to the bearing.  Look for hair line cracks on the splines or broken ones.

If the hub looks good and your chain isn't over tightened then you could most likely rest easy on the bearing.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:56:48 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »

The race

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »

And the clutch hub  all do to an over tighten chain

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:41 AM »

Well another run down the coast this morning on a "cooler" 29C day. Went to the Army museum in Fremantle with my Vietnam Veteran mate

Still "chattering" at certain roadspeeds and a definite dry "hrumph hrumph" sound when coasting to traffic lights etc with the clutch in

Some thing is shot/out of line OR out of true or all 3 I now suspect. The Indy shop has Screamin' Eagle manual adjuster kit on the shelf , may try that as well

( Another ) strip down and looksee on the near future cards. I'm a bit like that , my things have to be "right"..

Will keep the forum updated of course

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 05:38:57 AM »

Another primary strip down today. Chain and clutch basket/starter ring gear touching the inner primary since the last build.

Chain near the lower front as in the photos attached. What is it with that I ask ?

Put in the updated Genuine chain tensioner to see if that makes any difference

Part # 39929-06B  Noticeably "thicker" in the base than the OEM original.

Could have put in the Screamin Eagle manual but decided not to. ( Hopefully correctly !)

Still spring pack and /or roller bearing noise from the compensator as suggested before now.

Can't locate a GMR performance composite washer sadly

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 05:40:16 AM »

Photo

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 02:54:17 PM »

Photo

Wow!! You need to sort that out,  are you using shims?  If so did one slip out of place during assembly.

It definitely a direct contact mark.

J.D.

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »

+1 something is not right, beyond a thin shim.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »

Perhaps your chain was a bit on the loose side. What sort of tensioner were you running?  Just tossing out some thoughts

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »

On my 2010 SEUC5 I moved away from the OEM automatic chain tensioner because my chain was always so very tight. I was concerned it was stressing the mainshaft bearing and inner primary bearing and risking the race on the mainshaft to walk inward causing even more damage. I looked at various chain adjusters, Hayden, the manual Harley and the Baker Attitude Adjuster. I decided on the Baker and 20k miles later I'm glad I did. My only concern was having to remove the primary cover on a regular basis to check the chain slack. I found that the slack really doesn't change other than from wear from the shoe. I set mine to 5/8-11/16 inch cold. I never had that slack with the automatic tensioner.

You can get a good sense of the 5/8 movement. As a result, whenever I do primary fluid changes I shine a flashlight in the derby cover hole and use a screwdriver to lift the chain to see if it's still in the 5/8 inch range. Then once the riding season is over I pull the primary cover and look at the shoe for wear and take accurate measurements. In three years I haven't had to readjust the tensioner. But it's removed now and I'm replacing the shoe because there are some wear marks and I'm doing major upgrades to the clutch, transmission, and engine. Of course everyone has their opinions but I am very happy with the Baker product. You can get it on Amazon for under $200. I since upgraded to the Armored version. One thing you want to keep in mind though, unlike other chain tensioners, this needs to be loosely installed before you put the compensator on because you can't slide it under and behind the chain like other tensioners. It's no fun to take the compensator off when you just got done torquing it to 175 ft. lbs and then doing it all over again.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 02:12:22 AM »

Scratching my head now Indeed !

I am presuming the original 2008 OEM chain adjuster gave up the ghost and the chain was contacting the lower inner primary.

Once I had installed the new "updated" genuine OEM adjuster # 39929-06B and torqued (again) the compensator there is no way the chain was now going to kiss that inner primary.

No shims anywhere in the build. 2008 CVO 110 Springer does not require them according to the fitting instructions in the 40100061 compensator kit with rotor.

That was clunky at the time , rotor left in , new "updated" kit  42200064A , different clutch ramps ( and maybe more !) no more clunk , but "rattling" aplenty.

Then this latest stripdown and the chain kissing evidence.

Next step a new chain itself and/or a Baker compensator. MUCH more simple setup! Similar price in Australia at the end of the day.

Lots of good youtube videos on the Baker. WHAT THE F*** IS A COMPENSATOR ? haha..

Reason I did not go down the Baker route at the time was I read they need to be spaced/shimmed to get chain run correct and I did not want that hassle

This next stripdown will be the 5th in less than a month so maybe the baker should have been on there from the get go !

Did 150 K's today in 39C heat , riding OK but of course noisy chattery primary. Will do an early morning run tomorrow and drop the primary oil when I get home.

Check the S$S magnetic drainplug for swarf and the oil itself for Aluminium ( Aluminun to you guys haha ) shininess...

I am trying to stay upbeat , but have actually been dreaming about this !

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 04:31:06 AM »

Feel for yea man, keep us updated on your next teardown

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 06:05:36 AM »

thanks longlast old mate !

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »

Quote attributed to GMR Performance

With almost a year of experience with the #42200064A the main source of complaints being voiced and published is the added noise of this assembly. The axial roller thrust bearing creates a metal on metal action which is greatly adding to the sound resonance of the assembly. Replacing it with a specifically designed composite thrust washer for this application relieves much of this noise. It also eliminates the growing concerns of the axial rollers and related parts.

Next step is use the PEEK washer to replace the roller thrust 3 part bearing that comes in the "upgraded/latest" SE compensator kits.

POLYETHER ETHER KETONE is the base material.

Use the PEEK washer that is OEM on the M8 Compensator , part # 40100064 ,  this has been suggested to me already from the forums.

Has radial grooves to allow oil ingress , probably a good idea.

(part # gleaned from the Ronnie's HD online microfiche, a treasure trove of info.)

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=1237&b=17&c=0&d=2018 FXBRS ANX BREAKOUT 114 115TH ANNIV EDITION (YT) BELTS W/ CHAINS AND SPROCKETS

So I will be ordering part # 40100064 from local Perth HD dealer Frasers on Monday. That will require ANOTHER stripdown , crank thread reaming 175 ft/lbs chit of a job CHITsake...

Chit I'm a funging nexpert at this job now !

I will check on the progress of this updated tensioner while in there of course. At $127.25 Aussie perhaps a primary chain as well
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:31:41 PM by gmeikle »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 22 queries.