Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacement saddlebag and filler panel after 2-1 exhaust install  (Read 5411 times)

seadog

I want to go with a 2-1 D&D but don't want to leave the empty cutout on the saddlebag and filler panel on the left side of the bike.  Anyone using a 2-1?  If so, did you leave the cutout or did you find an aftermarket bag and panel and have them painted to match.  Need some input on where i can get a bag and filler without the cutout and have them color matched.  Thanks to all for any suggestions and recommendations.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Replacement saddlebag and filler panel after 2-1 exhaust install
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »

You might want to read the threads started by Extreme Dimensions, one of the vendors here.  They do custom painting and body work. See what they can do for you.  See here:  Custom Paint

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

Thought about the Ghost Pipe

seadog

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Thought about the Ghost Pipe

Guess I should have mentioned in original post.  Don't like the ghost pipe. 

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »

One option is to have the cut out in your bag filled in as well as the CVO filler panel. Problem being is there is a chance of the line showing through somewhere down the line.

Another option is new bags and filler panel/fender and have it all paint matched.

If it were me I'd go with 4" stretched bags and a replacement fender. Your OEM stuff has value so you'll get some of your money back once you sell the OEM parts.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »

Call me cheap, but what about a nice fiberglass filler piece similar to a fenderskirt on an old car?

It could have a beveled edge and painted to match. There's already a vertical split seam between the filler and bag so a half moon filler may noot look too bad. It could be made to just snap or bolt in from the back.

Also I've learned to never say never about changes to anything.

Someday you may change your mind and having a removable insert filler piece could save the day. Also when trading in or selling outright, it could be worth something to be able to go back stock or putting duals back on.

Just a thought and another option to consider.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »

To expand on Dan's post, before you make serious changes are you absolutely certain you really like that 2>1 pipe enough that you will never consider going back to dual mufflers?  I've seen some people go hog wild making mods before considering all the possibilities, and then having what amounts to buyers remorse later.  Especially if they do something that can negatively affect their ability to sell the vehicle later on.  For every person out there that likes the 2>1 sound and look, there are many more that prefer the traditional dual muffler setup on a bagger.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »

Ghostie is a lot cheaper then the route you are considering. What's not to like about it? Paint the inside flat black and hang it. Done deal.  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

seadog

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

Ghostie is a lot cheaper then the route you are considering. What's not to like about it? Paint the inside flat black and hang it. Done deal.  :nixweiss:

I agree it's an easier route to go but to me, the ghost pipe is a $300 plus boat anchor.  Serves no purpose other that looks and it's just dead weight.   I'm thinking I can just get away with an extended bag, and paint.  Filler panel will look ok with this set up. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »

So is anything in your saddlebags or pockets lol.

Either way good luck.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 24 queries.