Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: “You got to be kidding, right?”  (Read 7130 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
“You got to be kidding, right?”
« on: May 01, 2019, 11:31:09 PM »

So I'm getting myself familiar with my new ‘19 Road Glide CVO and started playing with the Boom GTS Infotainment Unit. Hmm there is a lot going on with this thing, let's check the owners manual. Not much info there or the in quick start guide. No specific GTS manual with the bikes literature, maybe it's missing? Checked the MOCO website, “manuals” and there it was, all 240 pages of it.  Yikes!!
Available for download but who the hell wants to print 240 pages. So I called customer service and
discovered that yes, I can obtain a manual, just go to a HD dealer and for only $20.00 dollars you can purchase the manual. You got to be kidding, said I, after spending over $42K for this motorcycle, one has to buy the manual for a feature that is included on this model
Insanity!!!
Tom P.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: “You got to be kidding, right?”
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:44:19 AM »

HD has really taken VIP status to new levels.   :2vrolijk_21:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:13:36 AM »

So I'm getting myself familiar with my new ‘19 Road Glide CVO and started playing with the Boom GTS Infotainment Unit. Hmm there is a lot going on with this thing, let's check the owners manual. Not much info there or the in quick start guide. No specific GTS manual with the bikes literature, maybe it's missing? Checked the MOCO website, “manuals” and there it was, all 240 pages of it.  Yikes!!
Available for download but who the hell wants to print 240 pages. So I called customer service and
discovered that yes, I can obtain a manual, just go to a HD dealer and for only $20.00 dollars you can purchase the manual. You got to be kidding, said I, after spending over $42K for this motorcycle, one has to buy the manual for a feature that is included on this model
Insanity!!!
Tom P.

I got the manual with mine.  However my dealer told me Harley was no longer providing the BOOM infotainment Manual with the 2019 Bikes. 

Harley has stooped to a new low with not even providing the manual.  They just keep cutting corners everywhere. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:27:03 AM »

Tom, ride that thing down to Maggie Valley in the fall.  :orange:

Ride often
Wut the hell was that maneuver

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »

Not the first time I heard that, but mine was provided with the bike!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »

I wonder what Indian gives you..
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »

No manual, or at the least a CD/USB with the manual on it, is a new low. Next up:  Harley charging extra for the spring on the kickstand.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »

i guess i'm the only one who doesn't see a problem with this.  if you go to the harley service information portal, you can access the most current version of the manual.  if there have been any changes, they will have been updated, whereas a paper copy would still have the 'old' information.  with a pdf, you can do a keyword search, paper copy, you have to thumb through.

not giving hd a free pass, they do a lot of things that piss me off.  this just isn't one of them.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »

I wonder what Indian gives you..

:nixweiss:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:42:38 AM »

In the time it took you to type out your rant, you could have downloaded the manual to your PC, laptop, pad, and phone, with virtually no environmental impact. I this fail to see the reason for this complaint.  :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »

What was the conversation with your dealership when you asked them for the manual?  Did you check to see what's in the box before you bought it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:03:32 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »

In the time it took you to type out your rant, you could have downloaded the manual to your PC, laptop, pad, and phone, with virtually no environmental impact. I this fail to see the reason for this complaint.  :huepfenlol2:

Hey Greg, I see both your and SIX38's point in this.  I'm a'thinkin that maybe it should be a choice in that the MoCo gives the new owner of a $42K plus motorcycle the option of a print version and/or the online version, free for either/both.  Holding the book in your hand means something to some folks, carbon footprint be darned.  I like reading the electronic versions in looking up stuff with the search function but prefer the print version when I'm actually working on the bike in the garage.  I don't have to "refresh" the page on the print version... ;D

As for Dave getting one free from his dealer, ya gotta know the dealer he's referring too is the #1 dealer in the country...for a reason...with their customer service being top-notch...not the norm for HD dealers... :2vrolijk_21:

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »

Here is another surprise for the 2020's. Harley will NO longer include air in the tires. It willl be a dealer installed option only. 2.99 per wheel and CVO's will incur a 3.00 upcharge.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Glenncarp

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

Insanity!!!
Tom P.

I don't know, maybe on from a different school of thought, but why would anybody need a printed manual? Why would Harley spend the money to print 240 pages on something 5% of the buying population would not read entirely or more than once?

Why not download the PDF version and open it on your laptop, cell phone, tablet, desktop computer, TV, Nook, Kindle, iPad, etc. etc.

Not to mention it so much easier to search a PDF file then to go to the back of the manual and search for a general category and then have to find what you're looking for inside that category after scrolling to that page. When you find what you're looking for print those 1 or 2 pages you can take them to where your bike is

I might be the only one, but I get what HD is doing here. I have recently purchased several large power tools and none of them come with a full manual any more. It's just the way of the times boys.

On a separate note regarding the GTS navigation, one thing I found pretty cool is if you choose the option to show alternate routes. It's almost like using Google maps. It shows you 3 different routes and you can pick the route you want instead of the typical "as the crow flies" route which was on the old systems.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:26:06 PM by Glenncarp »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »

Have not bought a new truck/car in 4 years so maybe am out of the loop but....

You get manuals.  Several manuals.  Printed.  On paper.  From trees that were planted to make paper.  It's not unusual to expect a printed manual, lots of us like to hold & read it while we cuss the Infotaintment screen for being a $%#$%^  *$%#$.  I like to look up manuals online as well. But when I am working on something my preference is to have the written directions, so I can ignore them until I realize I should have read them & by then is hopefully time for a beer.... 

Opions here might reflect an age difference creating a technology preference?   :nixweiss: 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.