Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: “You got to be kidding, right?”  (Read 7072 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
“You got to be kidding, right?”
« on: May 01, 2019, 11:31:09 PM »

So I'm getting myself familiar with my new ‘19 Road Glide CVO and started playing with the Boom GTS Infotainment Unit. Hmm there is a lot going on with this thing, let's check the owners manual. Not much info there or the in quick start guide. No specific GTS manual with the bikes literature, maybe it's missing? Checked the MOCO website, “manuals” and there it was, all 240 pages of it.  Yikes!!
Available for download but who the hell wants to print 240 pages. So I called customer service and
discovered that yes, I can obtain a manual, just go to a HD dealer and for only $20.00 dollars you can purchase the manual. You got to be kidding, said I, after spending over $42K for this motorcycle, one has to buy the manual for a feature that is included on this model
Insanity!!!
Tom P.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: “You got to be kidding, right?”
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:44:19 AM »

HD has really taken VIP status to new levels.   :2vrolijk_21:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:13:36 AM »

So I'm getting myself familiar with my new ‘19 Road Glide CVO and started playing with the Boom GTS Infotainment Unit. Hmm there is a lot going on with this thing, let's check the owners manual. Not much info there or the in quick start guide. No specific GTS manual with the bikes literature, maybe it's missing? Checked the MOCO website, “manuals” and there it was, all 240 pages of it.  Yikes!!
Available for download but who the hell wants to print 240 pages. So I called customer service and
discovered that yes, I can obtain a manual, just go to a HD dealer and for only $20.00 dollars you can purchase the manual. You got to be kidding, said I, after spending over $42K for this motorcycle, one has to buy the manual for a feature that is included on this model
Insanity!!!
Tom P.

I got the manual with mine.  However my dealer told me Harley was no longer providing the BOOM infotainment Manual with the 2019 Bikes. 

Harley has stooped to a new low with not even providing the manual.  They just keep cutting corners everywhere. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:27:03 AM »

Tom, ride that thing down to Maggie Valley in the fall.  :orange:

Ride often
Wut the hell was that maneuver

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »

Not the first time I heard that, but mine was provided with the bike!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »

I wonder what Indian gives you..
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »

No manual, or at the least a CD/USB with the manual on it, is a new low. Next up:  Harley charging extra for the spring on the kickstand.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »

i guess i'm the only one who doesn't see a problem with this.  if you go to the harley service information portal, you can access the most current version of the manual.  if there have been any changes, they will have been updated, whereas a paper copy would still have the 'old' information.  with a pdf, you can do a keyword search, paper copy, you have to thumb through.

not giving hd a free pass, they do a lot of things that piss me off.  this just isn't one of them.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »

I wonder what Indian gives you..

:nixweiss:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:42:38 AM »

In the time it took you to type out your rant, you could have downloaded the manual to your PC, laptop, pad, and phone, with virtually no environmental impact. I this fail to see the reason for this complaint.  :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »

What was the conversation with your dealership when you asked them for the manual?  Did you check to see what's in the box before you bought it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:03:32 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »

In the time it took you to type out your rant, you could have downloaded the manual to your PC, laptop, pad, and phone, with virtually no environmental impact. I this fail to see the reason for this complaint.  :huepfenlol2:

Hey Greg, I see both your and SIX38's point in this.  I'm a'thinkin that maybe it should be a choice in that the MoCo gives the new owner of a $42K plus motorcycle the option of a print version and/or the online version, free for either/both.  Holding the book in your hand means something to some folks, carbon footprint be darned.  I like reading the electronic versions in looking up stuff with the search function but prefer the print version when I'm actually working on the bike in the garage.  I don't have to "refresh" the page on the print version... ;D

As for Dave getting one free from his dealer, ya gotta know the dealer he's referring too is the #1 dealer in the country...for a reason...with their customer service being top-notch...not the norm for HD dealers... :2vrolijk_21:

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »

Here is another surprise for the 2020's. Harley will NO longer include air in the tires. It willl be a dealer installed option only. 2.99 per wheel and CVO's will incur a 3.00 upcharge.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Glenncarp

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

Insanity!!!
Tom P.

I don't know, maybe on from a different school of thought, but why would anybody need a printed manual? Why would Harley spend the money to print 240 pages on something 5% of the buying population would not read entirely or more than once?

Why not download the PDF version and open it on your laptop, cell phone, tablet, desktop computer, TV, Nook, Kindle, iPad, etc. etc.

Not to mention it so much easier to search a PDF file then to go to the back of the manual and search for a general category and then have to find what you're looking for inside that category after scrolling to that page. When you find what you're looking for print those 1 or 2 pages you can take them to where your bike is

I might be the only one, but I get what HD is doing here. I have recently purchased several large power tools and none of them come with a full manual any more. It's just the way of the times boys.

On a separate note regarding the GTS navigation, one thing I found pretty cool is if you choose the option to show alternate routes. It's almost like using Google maps. It shows you 3 different routes and you can pick the route you want instead of the typical "as the crow flies" route which was on the old systems.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:26:06 PM by Glenncarp »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »

Have not bought a new truck/car in 4 years so maybe am out of the loop but....

You get manuals.  Several manuals.  Printed.  On paper.  From trees that were planted to make paper.  It's not unusual to expect a printed manual, lots of us like to hold & read it while we cuss the Infotaintment screen for being a $%#$%^  *$%#$.  I like to look up manuals online as well. But when I am working on something my preference is to have the written directions, so I can ignore them until I realize I should have read them & by then is hopefully time for a beer.... 

Opions here might reflect an age difference creating a technology preference?   :nixweiss: 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

I got a paper manual with mine and I have read it through, but I would rather have read it on my Kindle. I read constantly, buy a book at least weekly and it has been years since I bought a paper book. I buy the Kindle version and it is available on everything, my phone, laptop, tablet and Kindle reader. Much rather take a small reader or phone to the bike if I have a problem than a small phone book (240 page book), Don't think it has anything to do with age, I am old, but electronic is, for me, better. Just wish I could get HD, GM etc manuals on Kindle format. Soon Hopefully.
Like others I see no reason for the rant.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »

Sadly, much of the electronics industry stopped providing printed versions of all owner manuals years ago.  However, at least so far I'm not aware of the vehicle industry eliminating the good ol' printed booklet owner manuals.  Perhaps in this one and only instance, Harley is trying to be the first to do something (anything) instead of just copying old stuff from other folks.

Many people in our society assume that whenever new tech gadgets come out, the entire population can be expected to have the latest gadgets and will be more than happy to give up the old methods of doing things.  Unfortunately this country is still full of people who are not computer literate, and do not own a "sometimes smart" phone.  I recently had to purchase a new blood pressure monitor from Omron to replace my old failing unit, and the only way to get the data off the monitor and onto my computer is via a smart phone app and the "cloud".  The old monitor had a USB connection and they provided a small simple program for my computer to store and chart the readings.  When I contacted the manufacturer about this, they couldn't have cared less that I don't own a "smart" phone and need a method to store those records on my local computer.  Without actually saying it, the implication was tough chit old man.

F' em all.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »

Hey Greg, I see both your and SIX38's point in this.  I'm a'thinkin that maybe it should be a choice in that the MoCo gives the new owner of a $42K plus motorcycle the option of a print version and/or the online version, free for either/both.  Holding the book in your hand means something to some folks, carbon footprint be darned.  I like reading the electronic versions in looking up stuff with the search function but prefer the print version when I'm actually working on the bike in the garage.  I don't have to "refresh" the page on the print version... ;D

As for Dave getting one free from his dealer, ya gotta know the dealer he's referring too is the #1 dealer in the country...for a reason...with their customer service being top-notch...not the norm for HD dealers... :2vrolijk_21:
I agree it should be a choice... The wife and I have purchased new cars in the last couple of years (2018/2019)... hers Acura, mine Honda. The owners manual along with navigation manual and one other wasn't provided from dealer in paper form. You could go online and download them electronically (which I did), but because I read all documentation/manuals provided w/any purchase I found that the original owner could request paper manuals within the first six months of ownership. I took advantage of this I got them for both vehicles. I think the ability to provide the next owners these manuals is a nice gesture (I will also provide them the electronic ones if they want). Also w/paper manuals I can put tabs on places I want to easily get back to, highlight info I want, and write notes where wanted. If you have a basic PDF reader those options might not be available.

IMO it would be a nice gesture if the MoCo would provide the original owner the option of getting the printed edition's free to original owner within in a certain time period like Honda/Acura does. If a person doesn't read the electronic manual from cover to cover such as I did they wouldn't know about the offer.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

14 CVO King

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »

Insanity!!!
Tom P.

I got a manual with my bike, but as already stated above my dealer told me that HD is not providing them anymore unless you bought one and then smiled as he gave me one. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »

I got a manual with my bike, but as already stated above my dealer told me that HD is not providing them anymore unless you bought one and then smiled as he gave me one.
Smart dealer... he realizes that he's invested maybe $11.00 (or less... his cost for the manual)… told you the MoCo doesn't provide them anymore (made you feel good that you were being taken care of), and their (dealership) return will be ten (hundred) fold... a person that feels like they are being treated right/taken care of are repeat shoppers... that dealership hasn't lost one red cent... probably IMO will make a lot more by doing this.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »

Most dealers do the right thing.  If they do not their reputation goes to Hell.....and that is important to most of them especially these days.

It not the 90's anymore

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »

Seems to be another HD cost-cutting measure--I know many of us remember when HD had the CVO history available on their web site.  They told me they took it off the site b/c "it took up too much space."  As if.

I bought a 2019 SUV at end of December.  It came with a fairly complete printed owner's manual, but the one for the infotainment/nav system was only available online.  IMO, it's a PITA to have to get to a device every time I want to eyeball it; worse, when the power is out, the internet down or out of range, or that web site is unavail, then it's SOL.

We shouldn't be surprised, though; HD has made it obvious they don't consider CVOs (or their owners) anything special...unless it's in price negotiation.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 12:04:29 AM »

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I much prefer reading anything from the printed form. I think one aspect of the Boom GTS Infotainment System  that threw me was the fact that the instruction manual is 240 pages! Seems like there is a lot to learn about it, so it would be nice to have a copy in my saddle bag for a quick reference while learning the system, especially on a road trip to remote areas.
And yes, the manual is now downloaded to my IPad and a hard copy is on order from HD. As my grandkids tell come on Grandpa, get with the times, it's so easy!”
Best wishes all,
Tom P.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »

For me it's not so much about the manual it's self.  It is one more cost cutting measure, as they increase the cost of the bike.  It's typical, Harley, take away from the product, and raise the cost.

The printed manual is nice when you want to read it.  The PDF is great when you want to search for something specific in the manual.

flash1034

• CA

• CVO1: 2019 CVO Road Glide-Red Pepper
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »

Insanity!!!

Mine didn’t come with one either.  Harley better wake the F up!
Tom P.

2019 CVO Road Glide
Red Pepper/Magnetic Gray

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »

To add to the cost reduction issues, try and find a printed brochure for a CVO these days and the electronic information is not as professional as it should be for a $45k bike.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 04:26:38 PM »

Well when I first got a 2016 Limited with boom the stupid book for the boom was thicker than the owners manual. I looked it over and it was just not user friendly in my opinion.

I went online and looked at a lot of the YouTube videos and that helped me a lot. Then I connected the bike to the battery tender, pressed and help the button on top of the left switch pack and sat on the bike playing with the thing for 2 hours. Then in a few days I repeated it again and worked with what I had learned while riding. I found that it is actually pretty easy to use once you know what it does, how it does it and what to expect. Now on the 2017 I never opened the boom instructions from the plastic.

You will get it easy enough. But you may be like me and find the manual is really not worth the paper it is printed on.

Good luck

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »

it isn't the manual for the bike that is missing, it is for the infotainment system.  you still get a bike owner's manual.

14 CVO King

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »

it isn't the manual for the bike that is missing, it is for the infotainment system.  you still get a bike owner's manual.

Yes, I know and was talking about infotainment manual not bike manual.  Thats why I said I got a manual with my bike to go with the topic, not I got a bike manual.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »

So I sprung for the $20, and now I have the manual that should have been included with a motorcycle with a MSRP of $42,399. I stand by my original post, they got some set of balls, and most of us just keep coming back for more. 🥜🥜🥜🤪
At least it was printed the USA🇺🇸
Tom P.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 09:47:40 PM »

Here it is

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »

So I sprung for the $20, and now I have the manual that should have been included with a motorcycle with a MSRP of $42,399. I stand by my original post, they got some set of balls, and most of us just keep coming back for more. 🥜🥜🥜🤪
At least it was printed the USA🇺🇸
Tom P.

You got a part # for that $20 manual? My dealer says the only way to get that is to download over 250 pages off the Harley site.
Not gonna happen in my world.
All my other CVOs had that separate manual.
 Now they jack the price up and don’t send a manual.
There is a steep learning curve to get it all to play well together.

Sales, GM, service department all say “no problems “ with all the bikes they sold.
I pointed out “just do what you say you’re going to do.”
Not good follow up on this cvo,
Lack of training?
Lack of caring?
They all do that?
Pick your excuse, does not sit well with me.
 :soapbox:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:01:21 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »

Here it is

You got a part # for that $20 manual? My dealer says the only way to get that is to download over 250 pages off the Harley site.
Not gonna happen in my world.
All my other CVOs had that separate manual.
 Now they jack the price up and don’t send a manual.
There is a steep learning curve to get it all to play well together.

Sales, GM, service department all say “no problems “ with all the bikes they sold.
I pointed out “just do what you say you’re going to do.”
Not good follow up on this cvo,
Lack of training?
Lack of caring?
They all do that?
Pick your excuse, does not sit well with me.

Agree with both of you guys. Pathetic. Not sure I'd be very nice about not getting a manual. Now that I know what I know, IF, my next one is another HD, The service manual and the audio manual will be part of the deal.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »

Boom GTS Owners Manual
Part # 94000601
Surdyke has it for $15.00
Tom P.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »

I read the manual on the Boom screen a couple of times, and still refer to it when somebody asks a question about a function. HD is screwing the pooch here for a lot of buyers by not providing a copy in print.  Sometimes little things can piss people off in a big way.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »

Well dang, the cover sure looks pretty. I'd pay $20.00 for that alone! ???

Yeah I agree with the OP. For $42K you should get a stinking manual. Maybe they could handle it like Plastic Straws. They don't offer it unless you request one!

I still to this day remember buying highway pegs and mounts for my first Harley a 2008 FLHX. I drive 25 miles each way to the dealer, spend almost $200 bucks, get back home and there are NO bolts to connect them with. I call the dealer to tell them they are missing. He laughs and says they do not come with them. It will be another $10 bucks and we have them in stock. I was pissed that they did not at least tell me that while I was there. ??? ???

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »

I read the manual on the Boom screen a couple of times, and still refer to it when somebody asks a question about a function. HD is screwing the pooch here for a lot of buyers by not providing a copy in print.  Sometimes little things can piss people off in a big way.

Tom: thanks for the #

Yeah, you guys are spot on about lack of customer service all the way up the ladder.
I will be heading to my local dealer this morning with part numbers and information they say is not available.
A call to H-D tech support will be our next course of action.

Our dealer has a cvo on the floor listed for 52K plus fees and you don’t get the boom manual because “you should download it from the web”.
Really?
HOGMIKE

ultrarider123

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »

Agree with both of you guys. Pathetic. Not sure I'd be very nice about not getting a manual. Now that I know what I know, IF, my next one is another HD, The service manual and the audio manual will be part of the deal.

I've read your comment a couple times now and I get more frustrated each time I do.  Operations manuals, electronic or printed, should NOT have to be part of any negotiation on ANY new vehicle.  When you purchase something, you should get instructions on how to operate (even though most us guys don't read 'em  ;) ).  In our legal environment these days, I'd say this is a lawsuit in the making.  Also, how in the wide world of sports do you access instructions 'cause sumptin ain't workin when your phone/laptop has died, you are in the-middle-of-nowhere (pick a state) with no cell or internet service?  If you have a printed manual, your covered (unless it's broke beyond road-side repair).

No printed manuals as part of a purchase...what's next?  That new scooter don't come with oil, sir.  That's extra.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »

I've read your comment a couple times now and I get more frustrated each time I do. 

I get frustrated reading these comments, too. You're talking about a 200+ page manual for a complicated hardware product (Boom! Box GTS) that receives regular software updates. These updates normally require changes to the manual, especially if functionality or procedures have been amended.

The printed manual delivered with a 2019 bike in the fall of 2018, for example, is already woefully out of date. The online version of the GTS manual has gone through many revisions already and was last updated two days ago.

I can see the logic in providing a printed version of the motorcycle owners manual because the info contained there isn't likely to change significantly over time. But I can completely understand why a printed version of the GTS manual has been deemed illogical and counterproductive from an end-user experience perspective.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »

How I miss the days that my biggest concerns were gas in the tank, oil in the engine, sweetie  on the back and how many kicks it would take to start!
Now we have to worry about the “end-user experience perspective” What???
Tom P.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »

How I miss the days that my biggest concerns were gas in the tank, oil in the engine, sweetie  on the back and how many kicks it would take to start!
Tom P.

Hate to break it to you, brother, but H-D’s entire business model is built around the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »

Tom P.

Remember those days.  Cold mornings, 2 kicks and a big smile.  Used to park near a hill whenever possible, roll on start was easier.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »

Remember those days.  Cold mornings, 2 kicks and a big smile.  Used to park near a hill whenever possible, roll on start was easier.

Now that was and still is the real end user experience....just sayin.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »

Also, how in the wide world of sports do you access instructions 'cause sumptin ain't workin when your phone/laptop has died, you are in the-middle-of-nowhere (pick a state) with no cell or internet service?  If you have a printed manual, your covered (unless it's broke beyond road-side repair).

don't know about you, but I can say that I don't normally have my owner's manual on my bike.  especially when i'm packed for a roadtrip.  so I have a better chance of pulling the manual up on my phone than I do of reading the hard copy manual.  plus, if being 'out of service' really concerns you, download a pdf copy of the manual to your phone before you leave.  then you don't have to worry about service issues, or space issues in packing.

ultrarider123

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 03:04:20 PM »

don't know about you, but I can say that I don't normally have my owner's manual on my bike.  especially when i'm packed for a roadtrip.  so I have a better chance of pulling the manual up on my phone than I do of reading the hard copy manual.  plus, if being 'out of service' really concerns you, download a pdf copy of the manual to your phone before you leave.  then you don't have to worry about service issues, or space issues in packing.

I do carry my owner's manual in the tourpak everywhere I go.  I do have room but really, it doesn't take up that much space.  I also carry a current, magazine size atlas with me, too because it's nice to have something that can't break or not respond when you actually need it.  I don't carry the boom book, however (but I did read it when first purchased).  I've learned pretty much what I need so mostly on trips just use it for the radio and/or thumb drive.  I rarely go to the navigation but know how to use it if I do need to find something and it's not on my paper map.  I have issues in trying to navigate a road, operate a motorcycle and read a map while going down the road so it's better to have it off or reference it (or my paper map) when I'm stopped for gas/bathroom break... ;D

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 04:36:42 PM »

I do carry my owner's manual in the tourpak everywhere I go.  I do have room but really, it doesn't take up that much space.  I also carry a current, magazine size atlas with me, too because it's nice to have something that can't break or not respond when you actually need it.  I don't carry the boom book, however (but I did read it when first purchased).  I've learned pretty much what I need so mostly on trips just use it for the radio and/or thumb drive.  I rarely go to the navigation but know how to use it if I do need to find something and it's not on my paper map.  I have issues in trying to navigate a road, operate a motorcycle and read a map while going down the road so it's better to have it off or reference it (or my paper map) when I'm stopped for gas/bathroom break... ;D

I would not carry my boom book in the bike either, IF I HAD ONE. It would be nice to have it for reference when I needed it. Dealer is not much help as the cvo has differences compared to the other models they sell. Most of their staff are not expected to learn ALL the nuances of these systems. Theirs is to SELL and let the customer learn on their own without any factory customer service. Unacceptable IMO.
It would be nice if the factory would do updated inserts like other industries do with their manuals.
We used to get them all the time in the business I was in.
What’s the problem with that??
JMHO
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »

I get frustrated reading these comments, too. You're talking about a 200+ page manual for a complicated hardware product (Boom! Box GTS) that receives regular software updates. These updates normally require changes to the manual, especially if functionality or procedures have been amended.

The printed manual delivered with a 2019 bike in the fall of 2018, for example, is already woefully out of date. The online version of the GTS manual has gone through many revisions already and was last updated two days ago.

I can see the logic in providing a printed version of the motorcycle owners manual because the info contained there isn't likely to change significantly over time. But I can completely understand why a printed version of the GTS manual has been deemed illogical and counterproductive from an end-user experience perspective.

I am talking about a 42K plus bike, with an infotainment system that needs a manual so you can find out all the features.  And Harley has the nerve not to provide it.  Harley keeps working hard to push loyal customers away.

No the manual is not out of date.  Not one of the software updates to the GTS has change how the head unit operates. 
The manual explains how to operate it and its features.  All of the software updates have been to correct functions that are not working correctly, or working at all.  All updates are to correct programing issues, not user interface. 

Same thing with the 2014 head unit though 2018, no changes in operation or the manual but more than 10 software updates.

A 30K chevy comes with a owners manual and a infotainment system manual.  Shouldn't be to much to expect a 42K toy to come with manuals. 

I'm on my 7th Touring CVO since 2009.  Price keeps going up, and content keeps going down.  Not a good business plan on Harleys part.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »

No the manual is not out of date.

If it’s not out of date, why do they keep updating it?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »

If it’s not out of date, why do they keep updating it?

Point to a change in the manual that has something to do with the features, or operation in the head unit?  There are none.  Why, no features or operations have change and none will.

Just like the 14 Head unit, no changes in operation or features for over 4 years.  Many updates, more then ten.

Again, a 40K bike and no infotainment manual is wrong.  When cheap cars with less complex infotainment systems come with one. Again when they cut content on the bike, and raise the price. 

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »

Point to a change in the manual that has something to do with the features, or operation in the head unit?  There are none.  Why, no features or operations have change and none will.

Just like the 14 Head unit, no changes in operation or features for over 4 years.  Many updates, more then ten.

Again, a 40K bike and no infotainment manual is wrong.  When cheap cars with less complex infotainment systems come with one. Again when they cut content on the bike, and raise the price.

Clearly you’ve pored over every minute change....

Last post in this thread for me. I didn’t sign up here to argue with people.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »

Clearly you’ve pored over every minute change....

Last post in this thread for me. I didn’t sign up here to argue with people.

There may be a fine line between “discussion” and “argue”.
But to those who are TRYING to figure out how to work the new system, the frustration level keeps increasing.
Don’t know if this is the latest “update, revision, change” or whatever you want to call it, but unlike Apple or other companies who TELL you what has changed, Harley just says “update”
HOGMIKE

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »

There may be a fine line between “discussion” and “argue”.
But to those who are TRYING to figure out how to work the new system, the frustration level keeps increasing.
Don’t know if this is the latest “update, revision, change” or whatever you want to call it, but unlike Apple or other companies who TELL you what has changed, Harley just says “update”

So far the "updates" for my 2017 Infotaint have wasted my time and not fixed any of the issues I have experienced.  Am not too surprised HD has not bothered itself to tell me that, but it would have been a nice gesture. 

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »

So far the "updates" for my 2017 Infotaint have wasted my time and not fixed any of the issues I have experienced.  Am not too surprised HD has not bothered itself to tell me that, but it would have been a nice gesture.

Just buy a Road King and issues and stresses are gone....just sayin..

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »

Well yeah, but then I wouldn't have this to bitch about.   ;D

Had a RK from 2001-2016, a nice ride.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 04:42:59 PM »

Well yeah, but then I wouldn't have this to bitch about.   ;D

Had a RK from 2001-2016, a nice ride.

Lol

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2019, 05:20:50 PM »

You got a point there. My 2000 Heritage is way fun to ride.
No FI, no ABS, no infotainment system, no cruise control, no central locking, no reminders when I forget to change oil, put air in the tire, etc. way lighter also.
AND $37000 cheaper!

BUT, for that $37000 I expect the bike to operate as the dealer AND the factory said it would without having to keep bringing it in for warranty repairs AND training from someone who knows less about their product that I do.
Come on sales, service, managers just do what you promised in a timely manner.
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 24 queries.