Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: REMOTE ALARM SYSTEM  (Read 8470 times)

Hotmetal2

• Junior CVO Member
  • Ride, Ride and Ride
Re: REMOTE ALARM SYSTEM
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 11:14:03 AM »

I will have my first HD in April. (SEEG yellow). [bgcolor=Yellow]I know I have to live with it [/bgcolor]but I'm quite worried about thiefs!!  for 3 reasons.

1) It is an Harley-Davidson.
2) It is a CVO
3) it is yellow .... easy to spot!!

For sure I will have a disk lock, a cable and an alarm. Sure, I could bring covers, and more cables .... but if I'm doing long trips, I would need space in my saddlebags for luggages .... specially with a passenger.

Is it always stressing to own an HD? An EG is made to do long trip .... but how do you feel  all night long when you stay at the hotel and cannot see you bike.  Even if you can see your bike from the room .. does that mean that you cannot sleep?  

Is it that risky to own an SEEG?  I like to ride, but I don't want to get an heart attack because I'm too stress....  Just want to enjoy it!!

How do you do?

starvin

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 12:28:03 PM »

Hotmetal, I think the best security system is a cheap lightweight cover, mine hardly takes up any room at all, that way nobody knows what you have under there for security i think i paid 30 bucks for it. with that and the factory alarm thats standard on these bikes if someone steals it they were going to get it no matter what you did.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 11:39:04 PM »

I agree with Dave on the cover. I use the factory alarm, a disc lock and the cover. I've had several Harleys and you learn to pick the better parking spots. On some trips when a couple guys brought cables, we have hooked the bikes together if no post  was near. All Harleys are sought after by thieves, just make yours harder to take. Don't worry to the point you aren't enjoying the ride.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2005, 02:42:12 AM »

Hotmetal welcome to the board.  As for your question............I do a lot of overnite trips and stay in anything from Motel 6 all the way up to Radisson or Hiltons.  I have traveled all across this country, back and forth, up and down, western Canada and Mexico.

The measures I take:  I try to always get a street level room with parking in front of the room (but that's not always possible).  If I get back to the motel late and all the close parking spaces are taken, I'm not above putting it directly on the sidewalk.  

I have my bike programmed where the alarm sets itself thirty seconds after I turn it off.  Sometimes that's a nuscience (like when I'm putting gas in it and I'm still sitting on it) but the protection that it provides me (when I'm running into the store, or into a friends for a second or anywhere, where I do not normally mess with locking it.

Besides making it as visable to my room as possible and the factory alarm, I lock the ignition (which pops real easy with a pipe wrench, so it's only a deterant and not a real lock) and I use a disc lock (it keeps the bike from being wheeled away and can not be cut off.

Other than that, the best protection I have is my insurance and that's why I have it.  For that reason, I do not loose any sleep worrying about my bike.  On insurance, I might suggest that you get insurance that covers it for full replacement rather than insurance that will just pay off the loan.

I rarely use a cover, on long trips.  I just don't have room for it and never seemed to use it the few times I did take one.  Use YOUR best judgement and damn good insurance and enjoy the ride and get your sleep! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hotmetal2

• Junior CVO Member
  • Ride, Ride and Ride
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »

Thanks to all for your positive answers.

Maybe I look too stressed! I'm sorry!!! You know, the SEEG is my dream bike ... and I just don't want to see my dream fly away!!!!! [smiley=cry2.gif]

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2005, 01:10:23 PM »

one thing i learned about security is the round key Used to be a good lock, but now there is a tool  that can open them right up,, very simple ..the guy that showed me
how simple it was recomended a lock that the key is double sided (teeth on both sides)
they take much more time to pick..
~late~ Cann

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 09:57:20 PM »

one thing i learned about security is the round key Used to be a good lock, but now there is a tool

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Remote Alarm systems Scorpio Alarm
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »

Wow almost 10 years since this started.

The Scorpio Alarm seems to have kept up with the times and is a do it yourself install, unlike Lojack.

Anyone try this yet? Not to concerned anymore with an almost 10 year old bike, but with the newer bikes costing so much, might be something to look into.
The "Ride" is the most comprehensive version.

http://ridescorpio.com/
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Ozoneman

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »

As I've stated before, the best thief deterrent is to place a Honda cover over your bike.
2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra, Stage 2 Tman 555 Torqster cams, Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »

As I've stated before, the best thief deterrent is to place a Honda cover over your bike.

That should work every time!
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »

I didn't bring this up as a deterrent, I brought it up as a potential way to recover.

And putting a honda cover on your bike ain't gonna do diddly

MV 2013

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »

You might look in to the f.I.n.... find it now product... I heard it's been a great product
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:37 AM »

I'm aware of a couple of guys who have tried this unit.  Their findings were that the advertised half mile range of the RF unit was overstated as the reliability was more like 25 to 30 yards.  I tend to think I can do much better than that to protect my bike out to 100 yards with my Glock .45! [smiley=bigok.gif]

Ditto that with my SA XD40.   :)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »

Ditto that with my SA XD40.   :)

Maybe, but protecting your bike at a hundred yards with a short barrel handgun will get you in more trouble then the bloke who is trying to lift your bike.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.