Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!  (Read 75674 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »

I'm probably going to remove the Andrews 30 T sprocket this winter and replace it with the Tri Glide sprocket, I should be used to doing everything twice by now.  I totally agree that the OEM belt is the best way to go.  I think Steve's persistence is a huge asset for those that have done the conversion or are thinking about it.  If I had a black swingarm I would go this route but I just don't see how this can be done on a CVO for $100.00 unless you don't have to paint the swingarm.  We can easily remove the material required but I don't think the gusset can be installed without having to paint the area.  Am I wrong here?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

I'm probably going to remove the Andrews 30 T sprocket this winter and replace it with the Tri Glide sprocket, I should be used to doing everything twice by now.  I totally agree that the OEM belt is the best way to go.  I think Steve's persistence is a huge asset for those that have done the conversion or are thinking about it.  If I had a black swingarm I would go this route but I just don't see how this can be done on a CVO for $100.00 unless you don't have to paint the swingarm.  We can easily remove the material required but I don't think the gusset can be installed without having to paint the area.  Am I wrong here?

You are correct.  Welding is hell on paint!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »

Pic 2

The bald guy can still weld.

That is a pretty weld.

Good Job
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

I'm probably going to remove the Andrews 30 T sprocket this winter and replace it with the Tri Glide sprocket, I should be used to doing everything twice by now.  I totally agree that the OEM belt is the best way to go.  I think Steve's persistence is a huge asset for those that have done the conversion or are thinking about it.  If I had a black swingarm I would go this route but I just don't see how this can be done on a CVO for $100.00 unless you don't have to paint the swingarm.  We can easily remove the material required but I don't think the gusset can be installed without having to paint the area.  Am I wrong here?
I don't believe there's any issues with the Andrew's pulleys. I ran a 30T Andrews for over 10K on my 07 with an OEM Sportster belt.
I will be using an Andrews 31T on the 120R going in my 2012 SG. I had this particular 31T on three different bikes now. By the way, the 31T is doable with a stock
belt and a less invasive swingarm mod. A guy just needs to add a little material to the cam adjusters to push the axle to the end of the slot. Right now there is rear travel left,
the stock cams just don't use it all. Maybe a slight clearance at the end of the axle slot too. No repaint with this mod. I bet this little trick gets popular.  :2vrolijk_21:

Steve George
Fullsac Performance
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:20:09 AM by Fullsac Perf »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »

Good news to hear that the Andrews is not the issue, saves me allot of time as I'm slow and have to borrow all the tools to get the job done.  I'm using the Sportster belt (136T) you recommended and so far the belt looks like new with 6K on it.  So if I'm already using an OEM belt I don't see a reason to lengthen the slot in the swingarm.  Is this something you are doing or recomending to stay with the OEM belt sizes for various bikes?  Thanks for all the input Steve.

Ray G.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »

Good news to hear that the Andrews is not the issue, saves me allot of time as I'm slow and have to borrow all the tools to get the job done.  I'm using the Sportster belt (136T) you recommended and so far the belt looks like new with 6K on it.  So if I'm already using an OEM belt I don't see a reason to lengthen the slot in the swingarm.  Is this something you are doing or recomending to stay with the OEM belt sizes for various bikes?  Thanks for all the input Steve.

Ray G.
Your 08 is different from the 09s and later bikes. You have the option of a 1 tooth shorter, 136T OEM Sporty belt. The 09s and later bikes need a 139T belt
that is only available in the aftermarket. That's why we need a swingarm mod to run the OEM 140T.
Your the lucky dog, leave it alone and ride it!

Steve

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

I spent all day yesterday tearing apart my 2011 Ultra to put on a 30T pulley from the HD Trike and a 137T belt from a 2007 dresser. To my dismay it doesn't work.  :oops:  Can't get the wheel forward enough to install the axle. I assumed since the wheel was almost all the way back in the adjustment slot that would be -1T to bring it to the front and 2 less teeth on the pulley it would all work. Soooo if anyone wants a new genuine HD  1" wide 137T belt cheap let me know. Sucks to be me today.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

Your 08 is different from the 09s and later bikes. You have the option of a 1 tooth shorter, 136T OEM Sporty belt. The 09s and later bikes need a 139T belt
that is only available in the aftermarket. That's why we need a swingarm mod to run the OEM 140T.
Your the lucky dog, leave it alone and ride it!

Steve

So on 08 se ultra I can change pulley and put on sportster belt? No worries

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »

Keep in mind that you'll be using a belt whose application and design specs were for a bike that weighs about 550 pounds and has 60-65 horsepower.  You'll then be that putting in a bike that weighs a ton and will likely double the torque of the original application.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:40:45 AM by Twolanerider »

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 01:39:20 AM »

I spent all day yesterday tearing apart my 2011 Ultra to put on a 30T pulley from the HD Trike and a 137T belt from a 2007 dresser. To my dismay it doesn't work.  :oops:  Can't get the wheel forward enough to install the axle. I assumed since the wheel was almost all the way back in the adjustment slot that would be -1T to bring it to the front and 2 less teeth on the pulley it would all work. Soooo if anyone wants a new genuine HD  1" wide 137T belt cheap let me know. Sucks to be me today.

You had the right idea Dave. You went -3 teeth on the belt. The stock 2011 belt is 140T.

SG

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »

You had the right idea Dave. You went -3 teeth on the belt. The stock 2011 belt is 140T.

SG

Yeah I know stock is 140T. I figured the 2 less teeth on the pulley and the slot distance would allow for the 3rd tooth. As Maxwell Smart says " I missed it by thaaat much"!  :D

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 09:38:21 AM »

I assumed since the wheel was almost all the way back in the adjustment slot that would be -1T to bring it to the front

I quess I misunderstood your first post. I'm not real good with Celsius conversion as a few know.

SG

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 02:44:31 AM »

Keep in mind that you'll be using a belt whose application and design specs were for a bike that weighs about 550 pounds and has 60-65 horsepower.  You'll then be that putting in a bike that weighs a ton and will likely double the torque of the original application.

There goes that idea  :huepfenlol2:Thanks

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 02:54:33 AM »

Yes! No issues with the Sportster belt on a 100 HP bagger. I did this a hundred times with my Sportster belted 07.

SG

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:42 AM »

Yes! No issues with the Sportster belt on a 100 HP bagger. I did this a hundred times with my Sportster belted 07.

SG

Awesome! Looks like I do have a winter project. Now I gotta find part numbers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.