Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Help me justify the Brembo expense  (Read 5393 times)

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
Help me justify the Brembo expense
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:19:04 PM »

I really want chrome calipers for my new bike. I am torn between going all the way and purchasing  front and back Brembo four piston caliper/rotor kits or taking the less expensive route and putting HD calipers on. Can anyone help me justify the Brembo expense?  
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Help me justify the Brembo expense
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 01:35:50 AM »

Check out this link to eBay.  Someone selling a pair of Drag Speciatlies chrome calipers for $350.00.  That kind of a price difference might help make up someone's mind ?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4515128880

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:59:56 AM »

Thanks Twolanerider
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

mfgreen

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 10:02:35 AM »

I really want chrome calipers for my new bike. I am torn between going all the way and purchasing  front and back Brembo four piston caliper/rotor kits or taking the less expensive route and putting HD calipers on. Can anyone help me justify the Brembo expense?  

The advantage of increased braking justify the chrome expense.  The increase in braking ability is an engineering advantage that is like insurance.......useless until you need it.  The chrome look is what you are currently pursuing.  Buying the Brembo calipers just for the chrome and the logo is not reason enough to justify the expense usually, but, when added to the benefit of performance it is hands down a justification for them.
Mike

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all about the ride
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:29:08 AM »

I read an interesting article two or three days ago about motorcycles and brakes.  The main point was that a very few riders (maybe 1 to 3 percent)use thier factory brakes even close to the potential stopping power built-in.  Most people can improve thier stopping distance significantly more by practicing hard braking than changing brakes.  

I know someone here will disagree, but I can get the rear wheel off the ground with my factory brakes.  I don't know how much faster you can stop then that!!  Yes, the Brembo's will cool faster and hold longer.  But lets face it, how often do you ride like a pro racer, braking hard every few seconds, where the difference is apparent?  On public streets, riding under normal conditions I see no benifit for the upgrade especially for 95% of the riders out there.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:31:33 AM »

Is the chrome warrantied? if so how long? what if you don't like the way they perform, is their a return policy? just some questions I would ask myself. Those front calipers are a pretty important and functional piece of machinery, I know that I use that front brake 85% of the time when braking.
[smiley=thinking2.gif]

[smiley=worthless.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 11:56:39 AM »

I read an interesting article two or three days ago about motorcycles and brakes.  The main point was that a very few riders (maybe 1 to 3 percent)use thier factory brakes even close to the potential stopping power built-in.  Most people can improve thier stopping distance significantly more by practicing hard braking than changing brakes.  

I know someone here will disagree, but I can get the rear wheel off the ground with my factory brakes.  I don't know how much faster you can stop then that!!  Yes, the Brembo's will cool faster and hold longer.  But lets face it, how often do you ride like a pro racer, braking hard every few seconds, where the difference is apparent?  On public streets, riding under normal conditions I see no benifit for the upgrade especially for 95% of the riders out there.

The additional expense is warranted by the potentiality of increased braking needed/used.  Asking the question about riding like a pro-racer is not on point.  That ability is left to racing bikes.  What we are talking about here is heavy touring bikes and bar-hoppers.  The additional insurance offered is naught if the owner does not know how to properly use them.  Your point is well taken that most folks do not practice emergency maneuvers and therefore do not achieve the best results.  Lifting the rear tire off of the ground as a measure of braking ability of the rider or mechanics of the braking system is not a justifiable argument.  When the weight transfer of the rider causes this phenomenon, the braking system is not necessarily measured as efficient or bad.  What most folks are looking for is the ability to stop saferin a minimum distance without acrobatics.  This means that brake fade or grab (an incosistancy) does not affect what they perceive to be safety of human over mechanical function.  To eliminate these variables with a more consistant (reliable) braking system may provide the rider with peace of mind and awareness of no surprises.
Mike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:36:20 PM »

I read an interesting article two or three days ago about motorcycles and brakes.

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 12:44:04 PM »

I won't disagree with you at all.  I think it's the question that might be flawed and not the answer however.  Question, how often do you use heavy or max braking?  Answer, not often.

So, from that, you can justify not going to some "better" braking system if you're considering it.  The question, however, ought to be, "Might you ever need heavy or max braking?  If you ever do need heavy or max braking how much "better" will they be?"

If you can guarantee no one (or no deer or any other thing you'd suddenly like to avoid splatting in to) will ever pull out in front of you then it's not a concern.  If you can't, well, it's at least worth thinking about.

This past summer about three hundred miles from home at the end of about a 5000 mile trip a lady in a 96 Ford Explorer jumped a light in Paducah, KY and pulled out in front of me.  The roads were wet, it was six lanes of traffic, and there was no place to go.  No different brake hardware would have got me stopped in that situation and I just had to pull the bike down and watch it and me slide underneath and behind the Ford.  

Since that time, however, I know I'm willing to consider different braking options not because I might need it with any regularity; but because I might need it once.

You stated it well,and it was from experience.  The next question is the issue of ABS helping in addition to the Brembos in a situation that you described....BTW does it come in chrome?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 12:45:44 PM by mfgreen »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 12:46:15 PM »

Quite simply......the average rider is going to stop a lot quicker with the Brembo brakes vs. the stock brakes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 12:48:29 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 08:25:54 AM »

It wasn't because they looked pretty the sole reason for upgrading the brakes was the factory ones sucked (wear uneven drag on guide pins)and with the extra power I wanted brakes that where up to the task of stopping the bike fully loaded(overloadedby wife) riding two up and in my mind the stock brakes are not up to that task!  The brembos solved that problem and just happen to look nice. You guys must have better drivers where you live the ones here a idiots.  And to justify the cost the calipers are about $100.00 more than HD chrome ones that alot of poeple have installed on their bikes for the chrome.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 08:45:48 AM »

It wasn't because they looked pretty the sole reason for upgrading the brakes was the factory ones sucked (wear uneven drag on guide pins)and with the extra power I wanted brakes that where up to the task of stopping the bike fully loaded(overloadedby wife) riding two up and in my mind the stock brakes are not up to that task!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 12:28:24 PM »

Magoo,
As someone now experienced with the Brembo pieces can you detail what else had to be changed to use them.  Were brake line fittings the same or did lines have to be changed?  Did they come with pads or were pads supplied as a package with the calipers?  Mounting hardware differences of any kind?  If so were those extra parts to be purchased?  Is a different rotor a requirement or is the stock diameter rotor ok?  Basically, what all was involved in the swap?

Thanks

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 08:48:04 AM »

Well lets see I bought it as a unit front and rears complete.  That included 12.5in front rortors a bracket to move the caliper out(needed because of the larger rotors) 4 pad 4 piston calipers and yes you have to bulid a new front brake line assembly.  Have not installed the rears yet am having a stock caliper issue, but it comes with a new chrome bracket, caliper and rotor and doesn't require a new brakes hose.  You can install there calipers with the stock rotors if you wanted,  they have a kit.  If you are interested I would deal with QTM directly as most venders like drag specialties don't know what they are talking about with these things and QTM is the importer and great to deal with.  hope this helps.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »

sadunbar,

As another convert to Brembos front and rear over two years ago, I would highly recommend them. I would also go to the further expense and add the Brembo (True) Floating Rotors. I say true because the HD Floating Rotors are not really a Floating Rotor.

Twolanerider supplied a Link to an eBay Listing for Brembos, I tried the link and it was gone. However, go on eBay and search Brembo (Harley) their are a number of Brembo Brakes Parts for sale.

I bought a complete set Front & Rear Calipers (Gold), Mounting Hardware, Front & Rear Floating Rotors and all of the Russell SS Braided lines off eBay for apprx US $850.00. A good deal come up once in awhile. The ony thing I need to replace is the rear Brake Pads.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:48:28 PM by geezerglide »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »

sadunbar,

As another convert to Brembos front and rear over two years ago, I would highly recommend them. I would also go to the further expense and add the Brembo (True) Floating Rotors. I say true because the HD Floating Rotors are not really a Floating Rotor.

Twolanerider supplied a Link to an eBay Listing for Brembos, I tried the link and it was gone. However, go on eBay and search Brembo (Harley) their are a number of Brembo Brakes Parts for sale.

I bought a complete set Front & Rear Calipers (Gold), Mounting Hardware, Front & Rear Floating Rotors and [highlight]all of the Russell SS Braided lines [/highlight]off eBay for apprx US $850.00. A food deal come up once in awhile. The ony thing I need to replace is the rear Brake Pads.

geezerglide

Of course, the 07 SEUC comes with braided lines...Is there any other reason to change the brake lines??  Will the stock SS braided lines and fittings work with the Brembo calipers?

thanks...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 02:51:51 PM »

sandubar,

Did not know the CVO and 07s had SS fitting and lines.

I see no reason that the stock SS braided lines and fittings would not work, maybe someone else has another opinion.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:52:31 PM by geezerglide »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »

With the 4 piston 4 pad calipers they take a 90 degree fitting at the banjo bolt.  The stock line is 1 peice so I just built a new line with goodrich hardware.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.