Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: March On the Pentagon March 17, 2007 Washington, D.C.  (Read 5095 times)

hoody

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 now a 117", stage 4 heads, 10.5:1, HPI 58mm TB, Bob Wood 408-6 cams, Borezilla 2-1, SAE dyno 141Tq/139Hp no radio, no windshield, just fast!
    • Battlefield Motorcycle Club
March On the Pentagon March 17, 2007 Washington, D.C.
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »

this was forwarded to me today and may be of interest. I support free speach and all that,  but if people plan on defacing memorials, well let's just say that wont go down without a fight!

On March 17, 2007 a group of anti-war protestors are planning to march to the Pentagon from Washington, D.C. The March 17th anti-war demonstration will assemble at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial at 12 noon in Washington, D.C. and march to the Pentagon. In order to ensure that the Wall and other Memorials in the general area are not defaced, like what happened at the anti-war demonstration at the U.S. Capitol on January 27th, we must rally as many people as we can to meet at the Wall no later than 8:00 AM on the 17th. This memorial, means the world to many of us, and it must be protected. We cannot allow the Cindy Sheehans and Jane Fondas to dishonor the memory of our Fallen Brothers before beginning their trek to betray and dishonor our serving sons.

Please see the following website for more information.
http://www.gatheringofeagles.org/

----------------------------------------

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
Re: March On the Pentagon March 17, 2007 Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:15:03 AM »

Friday would be a good afternoon for a ride to D.C. I bet :nixweiss:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »

Friday would be a good afternoon for a ride to D.C. I bet :nixweiss:
I'll be there Saturday the 17th.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:32:39 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

hoody

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 now a 117", stage 4 heads, 10.5:1, HPI 58mm TB, Bob Wood 408-6 cams, Borezilla 2-1, SAE dyno 141Tq/139Hp no radio, no windshield, just fast!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »

Well now that you mention it, looks like a member ride is possible. Anyone wanting to get together ride into town or just meet up let me know, we can set the date and time latter just looking for interest at this time. Thanks hoody.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »

Will not be able to make the trip but I support the guys that do go ,don,t let the cowards deface anything but themself ...

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »

sounds like a job for the Patriot Guard.

do we have any members on here who happen to be Captains or leaders of the PG in their area who could contact the higher ups???????

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:29:07 PM »

I'll be there Saturday the 17th.
Red
Red,
Be a good opportunity for us to finally meet  ;D.  I won't be able to ride unfortunately.  Having surgery on my hand earlier that week and probably be pretty difficult to clutch  :(.  You might not want to ride with an old Sailor on a "non-CVO" anyway ;) ;).  As we get closer, I'll watch this thread and maybe I can drive a "chase truck" :).  I'll shoot you a PM with my phone numbers and we can make some plans.
Tony

hoody

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »

Not sure about the PG but I was talking last night with a group of vet's that are very interested! in making sure that word gets around. I know I'll be going, so anybody that may want to meet can note me back..Hoody

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 08:52:08 PM »

I am a Patriot Guard member.   Here is the position of the PGR for March 17th.  I will not be attending because of the distance factor.   I do support and commend all who are able to attend. 

Official BoD's Position on the Gathering of Eagles

Hello Folks,

This is the official response of the Board of Directors of the PGR in response to the Gathering of Eagles scheduled to take place on 17 MAR 07 at the Vietnam Memorial Wall.

We urge our members to follow their conscience and participate in this event if that is your desire as an individual. In regards to your PGR gear, that is yours, wear it proudly and as you see fit. It is not our place or desire to dictate what our members wear - nor where they wear it.

This event is not a Patriot Guard Riders mission; however, it is an event in which our members are urged to participate as to their own individual desire. The organizations rallying this endeavor are more than capable of organizing this event without the PGR acting in an offical manner. The support of our individual members will surely be welcomed - just as we welcome other organizations that stand with us.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial - or The Wall as it is often called - is sacred ground. It is considered as such by not only the Patriot Guard Riders - but by patriots everywhere. 58,000 American Soldiers are remembered on that majestic granite wall and their memories are part of the foundation of the PGR’s soul. “Never Again” is a term we have all come to know. These words are not hollow in the eyes of the Patriot Guard Riders, nor the Board of Directors that are tasked with guiding the PGR as a national entity. They are the backbone, the soul, and the spirit of an organization that has vowed to all to do what is right.

In closing, support this endeavor as you see fit. Stand in support of the organizations that are rallying to insure no defacement happens to that hallowed ground. Stand for those who stood for US.

Do the memory of those heroes proud who are listed on the Wall. Do the PGR proud by remembering the avenues of respect we practice daily and hold dear our methods of operation. Stand tall and silent my friends as is our custom.

Reverence doesn't scream a rallying cry nor politcal slogan.
Respect doesn't degrade itself to physical confrontation.
And, Honor rises above all.

To quote a reporter from the Chicago Tribune who just witnessed his first PGR mission, "The silence of 200 people holding flags - was deafening." Amen brother. Amen.

Thank You.

http://www.gatheringofeagles.org/

http://www.patriotguard.org

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 08:13:34 PM »

Red,
Be a good opportunity for us to finally meet  ;D.  I won't be able to ride unfortunately.  Having surgery on my hand earlier that week and probably be pretty difficult to clutch  :(.  You might not want to ride with an old Sailor on a "non-CVO" anyway ;) ;).  As we get closer, I'll watch this thread and maybe I can drive a "chase truck" :).  I'll shoot you a PM with my phone numbers and we can make some plans.
Tony
Tony,
That sounds like a plan...when we meet, you'll remember me, (or I think you will ???).  I've haven't been to any of the chapter meetings yet this year, because it seems like I've been out of town when the meeting is being held.  I'll be out of town again this Saturday, so won't be at the monthly again.  :( 
I'll always ride with a shipmate, and the make or model of motorcycle don't make no nevermind to me either.  ;)  What kind of surgery you getting done on your hand??  Hope you're not going to be down too long...
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:06:18 PM »

Tony,
That sounds like a plan...when we meet, you'll remember me, (or I think you will ???).  I've haven't been to any of the chapter meetings yet this year, because it seems like I've been out of town when the meeting is being held.  I'll be out of town again this Saturday, so won't be at the monthly again.  :( 
I'll always ride with a shipmate, and the make or model of motorcycle don't make no nevermind to me either.  ;)  What kind of surgery you getting done on your hand??  Hope you're not going to be down too long...
Red
Thanks Red,
Docs want to remove a cyst on a finger (clutch hand :().  Shouldn't be too long.  Week in a splint, back to the doc and hopefully released to do what I want.
I think we've only made one meeting so far this year as well.  Seems like something always comes up.  Going to try to make it Saturday, but we'll see.
As we get closer to the 17th, we'll figure out what/how we're going to participate.  I'm pretty sure I won't be riding - doubt that "Nurse Phyllis" (AKA - the better half), will let me try that with the finger bandaged :huepfenlol2:.
Be safe,
Tony

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:09 PM »

Insane that people who oppose the war in Iraq would deface a memorial to those who served in other wars. What happened to their mantra of honor the warrior but not the war. Man this is Vietnam all over again. So be it. If those who ride to the wall to protect it must crack some skulls then they must. We cannot allow any monument to the ultimate sacrifice of our country's defenders to be disgraced in any way. I dispise this administration but I love my country and I respect those who believe in it so vehemently that they willingly offer up their lives in sacrifice to the ideal of the United States of America. I would rather fight with the protestors than support them if they deface any of our sacred ground.

B B

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 08:53:08 AM »

Rolling Thunder to oppose
Fonda, anti-war protesters

By C.J. Raven
 U.S. Veteran Dispatch
February 28, 2007
The roar of motorcycles will be absent, but the men and women who ride them will be there in force.

Rolling Thunder, the national organization dedicated to supporting veterans and their issues, will be standing guard against anti-war protesters led by Cindy Sheehan and Jane Fonda in Washington, D.C. on March 17.

Rolling Thunder has more than 80 chapters throughout the United States and abroad. Members are military veterans from all wars and peace-time, as well as non-military men and women who have the time and willingness to be advocates for American troops, veterans, and POW/MIAs.

"Our members will be there to protect the Wall, support our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and preserve the honor of those whose names are on the Wall and are honored at the other memorials," said Art Foss, Rolling Thunder's contact at the Wall.

Veterans fear the protesters will attempt to damage or deface the Vietnam War Memorial. The same protesters sprayed red paint on the Capital steps during an anti-war demonstration in January.

"We won't tolerate any destruction," said retired Air Force Col. Harry Riley. "We believe they will try to damage the wall because of their past history. We're not for a confrontation but we will be there to guard. The National Park Police will take aggressive against any attempt to damage the Wall. Still, we need to be there. It's time to fish or cut bait time. We can't allow an environment to continue that basically destroys our troops' morale."

Riley is the organizer of Gathering of Eagles, another group of veterans who also plan to be in Washington when Fonda leads her protest. Rolling Thunder is not part of Riley's group, but their mission is the similar.

Foss was stationed at the Pentagon in Washington when Fonda led the now-infamous 1967 anti-Vietnam War march, during which police arrested hundreds of Fonda followers. It was about that time that the Hollywood celebrity earned the name of "Hanoi Jane." Her latest protests against U.S. troops in the Middle East have resulted in a new name: "Jihad Jane."

"This march has the same mentality and philosophy as the one back then," Foss, a decorated Marine veteran, said. "In '67, we didn't have an opposing force down there. We were all in Vietnam, or in the military stationed somewhere, when they came to Washington. They didn't have any resistance. Now, things are difference. Vietnam veterans are not about to sit back and let somebody damage any part or anything on that Wall. It's fine to have an opinion, but you can voice it without dishonoring our dead veterans -- the ones who saved your rights and privileges for what you're doing right now."

Rolling Thunder members won't attempt to prevent visitors from going to the Wall. They will react, however, to anyone carrying a can of spray paint or other item that could be used to deface the memorial.

Space around the Wall is limited and only a small percentage of the defenders will be able to guard it. Foss said police are unlikely to allow five or six organizations to be at the Wall. Protesters plan to walk past the memorial and down Henry Bacon Drive on their way to the Pentagon.

"I'm assuming that the mounted police will be up and down Henry Bacon Drive," Foss said. "The media and the camera people will be there. I'm envisioning Henry Bacon Drive being like a demarcation line. It will be interesting, to say the least."

Rolling Thunder members in the Wall's "no politics" zone will face the memorial. Those who can't fit into that area will stand along Henry Bacon Dr. facing the street and the protesters as they march by. Only a small space will physically separate the two groups. That proximity could result in protesters and Rolling Thunder members clashing.

"It's going to be sticky," Foss said. "We're not going there looking for trouble. We're going to protect the memorials, and the Wall, from anybody trying to desecrate it. We will keep the honor intact for all those that the memorials stand for."

And while Rolling Thunder members won't be "looking for trouble," that might be exactly what they find if protesters follow their past practices of goading and taunting veterans. Foss is cautioning members to leave knives, guns or other weapons at home. Anyone who ignores his advice could end up spending time in the Washington, D.C. jail, he said.

A large number of buses carrying Rolling Thunder members from across the country will be converging on Washington for the event. Other members will arrive on motorcycles, in cars, vans and planes. A caravan is driving from California. Still, Foss is reluctant to predict how many will attend.

"It could be 5,000. It could be 50,000," he said. "A lot of people say they're coming but enthusiasm sometimes wanes when the time gets closer."

Many Rolling Thunder members are also members of the VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Military Order of the Purple Heart and other veteran organizations. The word has spread through those groups, which also expect to be present.

Foss is asking for all interested veterans and concerned citizens to meet and organize at the Lincoln Memorial at 8 a.m. on March 17. He hopes the assembly will be similar to the annual Memorial Day gathering when thousands of Rolling Thunder members appear in Washington.

"We'll have wall-to-wall people in there," he said. "We need to let our troops know we're right here opposing these idiots opposing them."

For more information on Rolling Thunder, visit the organization's Web site at www.rollingthunder1.com and the U.S. Veteran Dispatch Eagle message board.

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »

Was the wall defaced on Jan.27th?  If so could someone post a link to a news article or photo.  I usually follow the news and I just don't remember anything like that happening.  I'm sure I could have missed it but like most Vietnam vets my eyes don't normally skip over a mention of the war or the wall.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »

Was the wall defaced on Jan.27th?  If so could someone post a link to a news article or photo.  I usually follow the news and I just don't remember anything like that happening.  I'm sure I could have missed it but like most Vietnam vets my eyes don't normally skip over a mention of the war or the wall.

Dan
Dan,
The wall wasn't, thank God, defaced on the 27th...the a$$holes spray painted the steps of the Capitol Building...
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »

Dan,
The wall wasn't, thank God, defaced on the 27th...the a$$holes spray painted the steps of the Capitol Building...
Red

Why are they a$$holes for that ? It's the freakin politicians the protestors should be going after. The steps of the Capitol Building are not sacred ground. Famous maybe, but sacred ?  Not with all the crooks and charletans that have walked them.

Just my $0.02

B B

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 12:37:31 AM »

So the wall wasn't defaced?  Was there a threat to do so?  Seems to me these folks from Rolling Thunder and other Vet groups ought to be pissed off about the state of affairs at Walter Reed, the proposed cut in VA funding and the piss poor way these kids injured in Iraq and Afghanistan are treated after they've served rather than worrying about the protestors.  That would be a great way for them to show support for the troops.  These conditions didn't occur overnight they've been building for years.  Six months or longer  to process a disability claim, people loosing homes, cars, kids on welfare, etc.  Didn't anyone figure these kids would add to the problem at the VA just as the Vietnam generation was reaching an age where their use of VA facilities would be increasing.  As I recall it took a matter of weeks to process my claim in 1970 and our troop levels in Vietnam and the strain on the system was 3 times what it is now.  WTF am I missing?  People ought to protest this war and the way it's been administered.  The mess at Walter Reed and with the VA is just more of the same.  Sorry for the rant but I cannot understand this blind support for our involvement in Iraq coupled with the notion that people opposed to it are "not supporting our troops" or somehow not patriotic.  I'll get down off my  :soapbox:

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »

Why are they a$$holes for that ? It's the freakin politicians the protestors should be going after. The steps of the Capitol Building are not sacred ground. Famous maybe, but sacred ?  Not with all the crooks and charletans that have walked them.

Just my $0.02

B B

BB,
I consider anyone that defaces someone else's property an a$$hole, sacred or not.  The capitol building may have crooks and liars and cheats inside...I'll give you that, but it's still the symbol of the government of this great country.  If they're pissed off at the politicians, then go after them.  Defacing something is not the way to do things.  There are ways to protest without being destructive.  JMO on that one.
Red
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:48:46 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »

So what is the appropriate way to say to our government we are mad as hell at putting us into Iraq, killing and maiming for life America's finest, and not taking care of them when they return home.  If going to Crawford Texas and camping out is wrong, if going to Washington is wrong, if voting out half the republicans in congress doesn't work, what is the appropriate way to be heard.

I sure hope we're beyond the "America, love it or leave it" mentality.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »

So what is the appropriate way to say to our government we are mad as hell at putting us into Iraq, killing and maiming for life America's finest, and not taking care of them when they return home.  If going to Crawford Texas and camping out is wrong, if going to Washington is wrong, if voting out half the republicans in congress doesn't work, what is the appropriate way to be heard.

I sure hope we're beyond the "America, love it or leave it" mentality.
I don't think defacing something, regardless of what it is, is appropriate.  I never said going to Washington was wrong, hell, we have protests in DC almost every other week here it seems, but they aren't destructive.  There's no call for that.  When you start defacing or destroying things, the purpose of your protest gets lost in your actions.  I have no problems with protests, that's the American way, but I have no tolerance for being destructive.   The people did voice their displeasure over the war, by their vote.  That's why the Democrats are in charge of the Hill now and probably will win the Presidential election next year....
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »

I don't think defacing something, regardless of what it is, is appropriate.  I never said going to Washington was wrong, hell, we have protests in DC almost every other week here it seems, but they aren't destructive.  There's no call for that.  When you start defacing or destroying things, the purpose of your protest gets lost in your actions.  I have no problems with protests, that's the American way, but I have no tolerance for being destructive.   The people did voice their displeasure over the war, by their vote.  That's why the Democrats are in charge of the Hill now and probably will win the Presidential election next year....
Red

Appears we are in agreement.   Defacing or otherwise destroying property is not my idea of an effective or appropriate protest.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 01:35:21 PM »

Appears we are in agreement.   Defacing or otherwise destroying property is not my idea of an effective or appropriate protest.
Yepper ;)  Will you be making it to DC on the 17th? 
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 24 queries.