Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated Hand Grips  (Read 1410 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Heated Hand Grips
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:13:46 PM »

Have seen these discussed across a few threads previously but was hoping to centralize the topic for a few questions.   Are the grips now more reliable then they were in early production?  Can the wiring be run internally if one also swaps to the large diameter 575 bars from Wild 1?  When they actually work how effective are they?  And what is their total draw (can't find it on HD's site or anyplace else)?   Thanks.

mfgreen

Re: Heated Hand Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 01:43:05 PM »

Have seen these discussed across a few threads previously but was hoping to centralize the topic for a few questions.   Are the grips now more reliable then they were in early production?  Can the wiring be run internally if one also swaps to the large diameter 575 bars from Wild 1?  When they actually work how effective are they?  And what is their total draw (can't find it on HD's site or anyplace else)?   Thanks.

Hey 2lrdr,
Grips are marginally more reliable.  They cannot be wired internally.  When they work they are good.  Temp setting fails, wiring fails, etc.  I forget the amperage draw that they are designated for.....too much when they malfunction.
Mike

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 01:51:15 PM »

i believe i saw a posting here that someone had run the wires internally,
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=g1;action=display;num=1092519280;start=1#1
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mfgreen

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 02:59:56 PM »

i believe i saw a posting here that someone had run the wires internally,
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=g1;action=display;num=1092519280;start=1#1

Yeah Naitram,
I agree with you that it physically can be done.....the problem that is encountered when using the MoCo heated grips is that the wiring overheats and cooks the temp control or the wiring itself.  Because of this problem, the MoCo will not warrantee an internal wired application of this product.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 03:01:21 PM by mfgreen »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 03:22:26 PM »

Is anyone familiar with a third party mftr providing an alternative product?

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 03:39:58 PM »

Is anyone familiar with a third party mftr providing an alternative product?

www.customheat.com

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 04:15:39 PM »

I ran them internally with Wild 1. Right side grip is a breeze as wire comes out of center. I crossed referenced the AMP part numbers for connectors and made my own extensions which fit nice inside I used no splices. Left side requires a little finness could be a few different approaches. I had a hole free when I  relocated directionals. I used them a few times with no problems yet. I could post a picture if interested.

Jerry

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 02:04:25 PM »

i too have the heated grips wired internally with my chubby bars.
no problems.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 04:48:41 PM »

I'm thinking seriously about getting a set of heated grips.  As mentioned before I'm graduating to the SEEG from years on Road Kings and simply didn't fully realize how much the fairings up and down might comfortably extend the riding season.  Bit the bullet to go ahead and do the heated provision in the Corbin seat so am thinking about the grips also.  One thing I think I would like to do if I add them, however, is to pick up another "ACCY" switch to mount in the spare hole in the inner fairing and use it to be able to completely turn them off as opposed to always leaving the units powered to their thermostatic control.

I just wish they didn't have such a flaky reputation for reliability as changing these things on the SEEG (especially if you do the wires internally) when/if they fail is not going to make me a happy camper.  I just hate to install something (ANYTHING) for which there is almost an expectation of what should be considered premature failure.  Am perfectly willing to live with the fact that sometimes any given part might just die.  It happens.  No big deal.  But something that is released to the market weak almost in the expectation of the client base being the beta tester just puts my panties in a bunch.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.