Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stock 103 ???????  (Read 1827 times)

deuces

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
stock 103 ???????
« on: June 18, 2006, 10:27:25 PM »

i have a seeg,05. SE air claner, rinehearts, im wanting to wake this thing up without dumping a lot of cash. my interests are mid-range 2000-3000RPM, has anyone in here just added a cam??? if so which cam do you thing will work best for what i want. the stealer wants to install a SE 203 or 204. what do yall think?  should go with it? I mostly ride 2 up,and high speed is not all that important to me. just need more power in these hills i ride in. thanks...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: stock 103 ???????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:33:36 PM »

deuces,
Welcome aboard. There are currently two companies providing cam upgrades specifically made for the 103 motors and there are threads with information on both of these. The companies are Zippers and Freedom Cycles. You can find information on these in the following threads.

REDSHIFT 575 CAMS & OTHER PRETTY PARTS

Freedom Cycles "Secret" FCC9 Cam Dyno

BTW - So you can be officially welcomed lets see some pictures of your scooter.

[smiley=worthless.gif] [smiley=worthless.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:15:39 PM »

Welcome to the site. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] As Dood stated check out the cams from Zippers or Freedom Cycles. I would stay away from the offerings from HD as you will still have the crappy chain tensioners to deal with.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 06:14:13 AM »

i have a seeg,05. SE air claner, rinehearts, im wanting to wake this thing up without dumping a lot of cash. my interests are mid-range 2000-3000RPM, has anyone in here just added a cam??? if so which cam do you thing will work best for what i want. the stealer wants to install a SE 203 or 204. what do yall think?  should go with it? I mostly ride 2 up,and high speed is not all that important to me. just need more power in these hills i ride in. thanks...

Deuces welcome to the site.

As far as the dealers recommendations DON'T DO IT! You will lose power replacing the SE253 cams with either one of those. You want a gear driven cam and a cam that has been devoloped for our larger displacement and very low compression. I would run the Zippers TC575 cam with a gear drive. This cam was devoloped to raise cylinder pressuresin our very low compression motors. Your TQ cruve will come in at about 2500 rpm and stay there till 5000 rpm. It will also depend on what exhaust you will be running as to how much TQ and where it comes in at. I have riden a bike ( my 04 SEEG)that was used for testing these cam. The mid range power is unbelieveable. You can twist the throttle at 2000 rpm and it will take off. Note this is not a serious go fast cam but a true touring cam developed for our bikes. For more info call 301-621-2311 X107 or go to WWW.ZIPPERSPERFORMANCE.COM Tell them THE DAWG sent you as they have a discount program going for the members of this site.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

While I agree with Firedood and Dawg about going either Zippers or Freedom, I would tell you if your on the track that you must stay with harley cams you should be looking more at the 251 cam / 25? cam   cant recall atm if it was the 257 or 258 even though there is both one has more overlap than the other for higher end.   Do not allow the stealer to replace your cam with a 203 / 204 those are good 95 cams for 100 / 100 with the 95" and headwork, but your bike is already roughly 94/98 with just air filter / exhaust and tuning.   The cost justifcation would be there unless you could really improve the curve TQ I mean.   The zippers cam since its here was a cam I tested with my 04 pumpkin and the torque comes on early and runs good the dyno is here on the site.   If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or call Zippers direct.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »

While I agree with Firedood and Dawg about going either Zippers or Freedom, I would tell you if your on the track that you must stay with harley cams you should be looking more at the 251 cam / 25? cam   cant recall atm if it was the 257 or 258 even though there is both one has more overlap than the other for higher end.   Do not allow the stealer to replace your cam with a 203 / 204 those are good 95 cams for 100 / 100 with the 95" and headwork, but your bike is already roughly 94/98 with just air filter / exhaust and tuning.   The cost justifcation would be there unless you could really improve the curve TQ I mean.   The zippers cam since its here was a cam I tested with my 04 pumpkin and the torque comes on early and runs good the dyno is here on the site.   If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or call Zippers direct.

-harry

i have the 251 and am very happy with it.
you have to change the valve springs though.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »

If you are looking to stay with all HD parts and looking to your dealer to do the work, and it sounds like you may need them to help you through the process...I'd use the SE258 for good mid range.  The zippers are a good option if you are looking to go with gear drive changes (and void your warranty completely) as they may provide increased strength in very hard driving conditions.  
As evidence of the benefit of staying with HD parts, I recently upgraded my bike substantially, and had a roller rocker break on me 600 miles after the upgrades were done.  Despite substantial changes (see: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1148413441 ) the moco covered the fix and all costs at the dealer.  It helps to have a good dealer interested in supporting their customers too.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 07:13:56 PM »

....The zippers are a good option if you are looking to go with gear drive changes (and void your warranty completely) as they may provide increased strength in very hard driving conditions.....
Why would this void the warranty? [smiley=confused5.gif] There has been much discussion about warranty coverage in this forum. Can't remember the threads, or the exact law, but there is one that states that additional parts (after market) added do not void your warranty unless said parts can be proven to have caused failure of a warranty part.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »

Good discussion topic, there’ve been a few on warranties...the key for me at least is my dealer took care of everything, from picking me and my broke bike up to working with the moco to cover it, to repair and cleaning and filling my tank for the inconvenience, now that's service [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:23:01 PM »

Hey Deuces! Warm welcome to this site.[smiley=2vrolijk_09.gif] I have the Zipper cams and went with gear drive. I went from a basically stock engine. I had screamin eagle exhaust and SE air with download. I was going to go with race tuner with these cams but since I went with D&D Fatcats, cams, lifters, adjustable pushrods, fueling pump, and shim, I decided to go with a mapped Thundermax ECM to save on dyno time. Here in Memphis my dyno man is good with the race tuner but it would take about 6-8 hours to map. Instead I think it was 2-3 hours which included a dyno before install to compare.

I am very pleased with performance of bike after cam install. I too was not looking for top end torque. Tony from Zippers called me today and said you live close to me so if you want to get together and ride mine your more than welcome. I very seldom ride with out my King tour pak and noticed alot quicker response from before. I can get the front end up and did not do that before.

I would be curious how cams would be with Rhineharts and SE racetuner. A few weeks ago 04hd103 and 103HunDer came down and we took out on a wide open 4lane road. I trailed behind them as they let er rip. 04hd103 has Rhineharts and racetuner with SE air and his stayed right with mine. The Rhineharts and FatCats wide open was awesome as I was trailing on Brians and could barely hear his scramin eagle pipes. ;D I believe they cut it off around 113mph. 04hd103 did not have a tour pak on it and I had my King tour pak on it it is loaded but the difference in weight of riders probably made it even because when they swapped 04hd103 bike seemed faster.

I will pm you my cell # if you want to call me. Good luck and God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 09:33:09 PM »

I The zippers are a good option if you are looking to go with gear drive changes (and void your warranty completely) as they may provide increased strength in very hard driving conditions.  
As evidence of the benefit of staying with HD parts, I recently upgraded my bike substantially, and had a roller rocker break on me 600 miles after the upgrades were done.  

I can tell you the gear will not void your warranty UNLESS IT COMES APART and damages your engine. The installation of your 258 cams did indeed void your warranty. The installation of any aftermarket or SE cam can and will void your warranty. It is up to the dealer and the Moco. It would also depend on what part failed. I can tell you one thing with the subatantial upgrades you did let one of your crank bearings come lose and see just how much warranty you really have. The first thing you should have done to that motor was a timken conversion!

Now lets talk about your failed screamin eagle roller rocker. Why did it fail????? I have never seen a roller rocker break. What is rev limiter set at? How hard had you been running the bike. How many times did you hit the limiter? Not trying to bash here but those rockers are made by Jims. They are very strong. I remember reading the post on the motor failing but didn't see the out come. I have run those same rockers on some very high lift(over 650) cams at some serious RPM's. Did the dealer tell you they have had a problem in the past?

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »

I can tell you the gear will not void your warranty UNLESS IT COMES APART and damages your engine. The installation of your 258 cams did indeed void your warranty. The installation of any aftermarket or SE cam can and will void your warranty. It is up to the dealer and the Moco. It would also depend on what part failed. I can tell you one thing with the subatantial upgrades you did let one of your crank bearings come lose and see just how much warranty you really have. The first thing you should have done to that motor was a timken conversion!

Now lets talk about your failed screamin eagle roller rocker. Why did it fail????? I have never seen a roller rocker break. What is rev limiter set at? How hard had you been running the bike. How many times did you hit the limiter? Not trying to bash here but those rockers are made by Jims. They are very strong. I remember reading the post on the motor failing but didn't see the out come. I have run those same rockers on some very high lift(over 650) cams at some serious RPM's. Did the dealer tell you they have had a problem in the past?

The dealer indicated he had one other roller rocker fail from the same parts shipment a few months before mine.  Moco covered the fix without any fuss.  I've got the rev limiter set to 6000 and have not hit it in any case.  I sometimes will ride it up to the mid 5k range, but this should be BAU for the engine mods I've made.  So, it broke, and shouldn't have, and moco covered my warranty costs in full, because it was an HD part installed by my HD dealer who is a top dealer with HD.  Do we believe that zippers would do any more than provide a replacement part...and that only if within the 90 day parts warranty ::)  The thought here is not weather a timkin upgrade is better (it is) or if gear drive is the way to go for hard racing (it is), the thought is if you are not a motor mechanic and don't have the time to do it all yourself or hunt around for the best mech in town to do it, that you can go with HD parts at an HD dealer and get a reasonable assurance that they would stand behind there parts and the work to fix it if something does break.  Just some thoughts on the matter :)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:36:19 PM by fatboyse2 »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 06:01:36 AM »

The dealer indicated he had one other roller rocker fail from the same parts shipment a few months before mine.  Moco covered the fix without any fuss.  I've got the rev limiter set to 6000 and have not hit it in any case.  I sometimes will ride it up to the mid 5k range, but this should be BAU for the engine mods I've made.  So, it broke, and shouldn't have, and moco covered my warranty costs in full, because it was an HD part installed by my HD dealer who is a top dealer with HD.  Do we believe that zippers would do any more than provide a replacement part...and that only if within the 90 day parts warranty ::)  The thought here is not weather a timkin upgrade is better (it is) or if gear drive is the way to go for hard racing (it is), the thought is if you are not a motor mechanic and don't have the time to do it all yourself or hunt around for the best mech in town to do it, that you can go with HD parts at an HD dealer and get a reasonable assurance that they would stand behind there parts and the work to fix it if something does break.  Just some thoughts on the matter :)

Zippers would cover the part for one full year. That is the manufacturers warranty. As far a gear drive. You don't go to gear drive for HARD RACING!!!! You go to gear drive to replace the POS chain driven system that the MOCO installed. The timken is the first upgrade I would have done with the mods that you did. I have seen way tooooo many roller bearing failures. As far as your warranty goes IT IS NULL AND VOID with the cams you had installed. All your dealer did was fudge the paper work. Let that happen on the other side of the country and hope you get a good dealer.

Also remember one other thing. In the MOCO eyes you don't have HD parts for your motor build you have SCREAMIN EAGLE PARTS sold by the MOCO. If you look real close at the fine print it says for OFF ROAD USE ONLY!

Good Luck

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Page created in 0.68 seconds with 24 queries.