Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Do you use a radar detector on your bike? Show pics of your setup, please.  (Read 11476 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography

If you've got a radar detector mounted on your bike, I'm especially interested in how you set yours up on your Road Glide, but I'd also be interested in seeing your setup for a batwing as well.  I'm looking for the best mounting alternatives before I pull the trigger.
Thanks in advance!   
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg

I know this is not the question you asked, but after riding along with my son in his patrol car and watching how he does radar, I tossed my detector in the trash.

For a detector to work for YOU, someone in front of you needs to be scanned and then you detector will go off.  But he usually never shoots the first guy in a line.

Just a thought.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

On my bike or in my truck.....depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing.

I have the Passport Max (but the newewst, latest and greatest is the Passport Max 2).  I bought it on ebay or Amazon. 

I use a control mount from Techmount.  It's chrome plated with an elastic band to hold the detector.  Got it from Radar Roy's web site in chrome.....Techmount website only shows it available in black.

I also added the industrial grade Velcro as an additional security.

I'll try to get pictures of it after work tonight. But here's one that kind of shows the mount (detector not on it) located on the left handlebar control.....  Using the handlebar control mounted Techmount allows your radar/laser detector to shoot past your windshield and not through it.  It will shoot through your windshield but from what I've read on radar detector forums, it cuts down on the distance considerably.  By the way, I'm surprised at how far in the distance, around a curve or over a hill this detector will signal you.  It's out there a ways.....plenty of time to slow down even if you're out in the boonies or in a major city.  :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:55:01 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

On my bike or in my truck.....depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing.

I have the Passport Max (but the newewst, latest and greatest is the Passport Max 2).  I bought it on ebay or Amazon. 

I use a control mount from Techmount.  It's chrome plated with an elastic band to hold the detector.  Got it from Radar Roy's web site in chrome.....Techmount website only shows it available in black.

I also added the industrial grade Velcro as an additional security.

I'll try to get pictures of it after work tonight. But here's one that kind of shows the mount (detector not on it) located on the left handlebar control.....  Using the handlebar control mounted Techmount allows your radar/laser detector to shoot past your windshield and not through it.  It will shoot through your windshield but from what I've read on radar detector forums, it cuts down on the distance considerably.  By the way, I'm surprised at how far in the distance, around a curve or over a hill this detector will signal you.  It's out there a ways.....plenty of time to slow down even if you're out in the boonies or in a major city.  :2vrolijk_21:

This is great, JC.  It's all info I need to make an informed decision!  I'd be interested in more pics if it's no hassle!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

washaw

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

I have a Valentine One with remote audio adapter mounted on a 2015 Limited. The mount is by SA Eng and is high enough for laser to make it to the detector. The detector is held to the mount by Velcro and a safety band over the top. The radar detector audio plays through the front two speakers using the no longer made J&M radar override. The radar sound can be muted or turned off by the audio adapter located at the left hand grip. (audiointerrupt.com now makes a device that will play the sound through the front two speakers during an alert.)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback

I know this is not the question you asked, but after riding along with my son in his patrol car and watching how he does radar, I tossed my detector in the trash.

For a detector to work for YOU, someone in front of you needs to be scanned and then you detector will go off.  But he usually never shoots the first guy in a line.

Just a thought.
Most of the time, so long as there are tail lights way ahead of you, a radar detector works great!
I got pulled over for 159 in a 100  (laser) and wasn't too upset. The LEO asked why I wasn't fuming. I thought about is and figured I had done about 550,000 km since my last ticket and most of that was speeding. You sure can make up some time zipping across the bald-assed prairie.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Just a thought.

Sounds like you're referring to the obsolete detectors.  They've came a long way in the past few years.  A detector works even if you're out there on Hwy. 50, The Loneliest Road in America, by yourself.......it works.  Don't ask me how I know.  Oh yes, it works between Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks, riding by myself, also!

The Passport Max 2 is even more advanced.  It will warn you when somebody else with a Passport Max 2 has picked up a signal several miles ahead of you.  Isn't Bluetooth technology great! :2vrolijk_21:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

Sounds like you're referring to the obsolete detectors.  They've came a long way in the past few years.  A detector works even if you're out there on Hwy. 50, The Loneliest Road in America, by yourself.......it works.  Don't ask me how I know.  Oh yes, it works between Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks, riding by myself, also!

The Passport Max 2 is even more advanced.  It will warn you when somebody else with a Passport Max 2 has picked up a signal several miles ahead of you.  Isn't Bluetooth technology great! :2vrolijk_21:
I think he's referring to the "Instant On" technology of radar... if you are the only vehicle on the road and no others passed the radar within the maximum distance your radar detector will pick up ahead of you that means no signal from the radar gun would have been broadcast until you rode into the LEO's vicinity and he shot the radar at you. I think this is also what dayne666 is referencing in his  post below...
Most of the time, so long as there are tail lights way ahead of you, a radar detector works great!
I got pulled over for 159 in a 100  (laser) and wasn't too upset. The LEO asked why I wasn't fuming. I thought about is and figured I had done about 550,000 km since my last ticket and most of that was speeding. You sure can make up some time zipping across the bald-assed prairie.
The only way a detector can pick up a single (w/Instant On) is for it to have been shot/broadcast at a vehicle ahead of you, and you are within the maximum range your detector will receive a signal.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

You guys should've been salesmen for these things, cause you've just about sold me on one!
I had a Cincinnati Microwave Passport years ago and it saved my bacon a lot of times.  I paid $300 for it back in '86, and they said it was about the best you could get at the time, so I imagine that translates into at least $600 in todays world. 
And we all know it's just so darn easy to speed on a motorcycle, even without trying.  Heck...it's easy on a non-CVO Harley, but mine's like a rocket ship to me, and it wants to fly!  And sometimes you just gotta let the horses run, if you know what I mean!   ::)
I'm not wanting one so I can go out and break the law with impunity, I just want one for all those times when I was doing 60+ in a 55 (or worse!)  :P
You get the idea. 
Thanks, fellas!  How 'bout some more pics?
Harry

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Radar Roy, who's a retired police Lt., test radar, laser/vascar detectors every year.  I don't believe he advertises it but he happens to own a CVO and if you ever see it at one of the motorcycle functions you will most likely see a Passport Max 2.

http://www.radardetector.org/video-radar-detector-comparison-test/

I just took a number of photos of my Passport Max (a couple years old) from various angles to show how it's mounted on a batwing fairing bike.....

Here is the detector with the cigarette lighter plug.  When the detector goes off (signaling detection) it also flashes on the plug down at the lighter recepticle......so it's visable no matter how bright the sun.

The mount mounted to my bike without the detector (excuse the blurry pics).....

and the control mount installed on my left handlebar control....

Top view, looking down.....

Hope this helps......it's sure helped me.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana

If you never exceed the speed limit like me then you dont need one.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

If your like me and your enjoying the ride and the music you don't pay attention to the detector and get a ticket anyway especially when your the lead vehicle. :oops

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

Real nice pictures, JC.  Thanks for going to the trouble to do that for me.  It sure helped me visualize it better, and there may be others out there thinking about the same thing as well that it'll help.  The application should be the same for my RG. 
I did check out Roy's website and it's really detailed.  I want to spend a lot more time looking it over before I pull the plug.  Thanks for that link as well.
Cheers!
Harry

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom

As usual JCZ is right on! Been on the edge of deciding and after reading other threads, escapades & informative discussions from JCZ pulled the trigger today along with the same mount from Radar Roy. Do yourself and visit his web page, best pricing and immediate shipment plus 10% discount! shipped mine today cant wait

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

I also took JC's advice and just bought the Passport 2 after getting nailed by radar last weekend. I have the guys at Street Noyz in San Diego doing the install for me next week. Everything they have done so far on my bike has been super clean including installing 7x10 Focals in the saddlebag lids that most people said couldn't be done. i will post pics when I get it done next week.
Alan
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.