Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Construction zone not marked properely.  (Read 7822 times)

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
Construction zone not marked properely.
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:59:17 AM »

I suppose it is my turn. Last Wedsday afternoon I was headed to my daughter and sil home to have dinner and see my grand daughter. Long story short, I was in the right lane of a busy street with the left lane blocked by orange cones for construction. I was approaching my turn when the gap in the cones looked to be for the left turn lane. Wrong! The concrete was dug up from a section running across the entire lane. Twelve to eighteen inches deep and at least 3 feet wide. Just before hitting the hole I gave it gas and lifted for all I was worth. This manuever kept the front just high enough that I was able to do a small wheelie and the front wheel hit the edge enough to keep me from high siding the bike. Five thousand in damage and two fractured discs in my lower back. I am in a hell of a lot of pain. I won't take opiate pain relievers. They had me on those for enough years that I became an addict. Never again so I am on prescription alieve.

As a small consulation, I watched the first cop car on the scene damn near drive into the same booby trap. Then the ambulance tried to drive into the trench.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Construction zone not marked properely.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:27 AM »

Sorry this happened to you.  Thankfully, it was not worse.  Good luck with the recovery.   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:43:21 AM »

Sorry for the construction zone that was marked very bad. I wish you a very fast recovery!!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:50:32 AM »

Wow !! Hang in there wish you a speedy recovery.
DND

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »

I watched the first cop car on the scene damn near drive into the same booby trap. Then the ambulance tried to drive into the trench

Unfortunately this is about the same everywhere when riding nowadays - there is nowhere one can ride without running into road construction. And it's definitely let the driver beware when it comes to excavations, sand/rocks/oil on the roadway and reconfigured lane changes while work is underway. I think one of the worst conditions is the uneven lanes when they are paving the highway - seen this often of late. That two-inch step up between lanes is a killer on a bike when running parallel and having to change lanes.

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:11:43 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.  I pray you have a complete recovery.

Know all to well about prescription addiction.  You have Dr. telling you that you'll not g due to the amount of pain your in and others telling you "just take it as prescribed".  Yea, right......and in just a few days you're physically addicted and don't even know it until you start to back off the meds.  There is a huge price to pay once that happens.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »

Sorry to here about your accident.  Hope you have a full and fast recovery. Appears construction zone was not properly marked. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

Sad to hear - hopefully your compensated for it all, if there is enough to compensate anything to do with your back.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »

Sorry to hear about the accident. I wish you a speedy recover and hopefully your bike is repaired right too!  Hang in there trying to avoid the pain killers. That can be tough!

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Hope you have a successful recovery.

Now, about the work zone.  Hopefully someone was taking pictures and might just possibly have photographic evidence of the improper work zone configuration.   Having worked in the work zones for many years, the contractor is typically responsible for ensuring proper set up and maintenance during the work.  Did the responding police officer happen to write down anything about the configuration of the traffic control items.   When we have wrecks in the work zone, the first question I ask the officer is if the accident was work zone related.  It makes a big difference.   Even if they were partially at fault, a good lawyer can shred them if the traffic control items were improperly spaced, marked or maintained.  Good luck.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Hope you have a successful recovery.

Now, about the work zone.  Hopefully someone was taking pictures and might just possibly have photographic evidence of the improper work zone configuration.   Having worked in the work zones for many years, the contractor is typically responsible for ensuring proper set up and maintenance during the work.  Did the responding police officer happen to write down anything about the configuration of the traffic control items.   When we have wrecks in the work zone, the first question I ask the officer is if the accident was work zone related.  It makes a big difference.   Even if they were partially at fault, a good lawyer can shred them if the traffic control items were improperly spaced, marked or maintained.  Good luck.

I'm not one to be litigation prone, but Mike has a good point, and with the right lawyer, it sounds like you could "shred" them!  And if was happened was their fault, then I think you should "shred" them.  Massively.

Praying for a full recovery for you, buddy!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:23 PM »

Went to the Dr. yesterday. Unfortunately, there is not much they can do for fractured discs at the spot mine are fractured. They tell me to take it easy, ice it down and wait it out.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I almost didn't post it up but figured it might help someone else to avoid a similar thing.

The worse part to me is having mmy Harley down. The darned insurance adjuster is just now going by Harley to asses the damage. Good night nurse!!! I am not looking forward to the whole repair situation. I hope they simply approve fixing it properely rather than trying to nickle and dime it to death.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »

The bike can be fixed a lot easier and more cheaply than you can, brother.  I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.  Hang tough.  It'll all work out for you.  I had a bad accident once, and it didn't seem like the trauma would ever end, bike-wise or physical-wise, but it does and things get better.  And you'll be a stronger person for it. 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »

Not to start a helmet war but I am glad I was wearing one. I have been known to "ride naked" on occasion. The gash in my helmet would have been a gash in my head. I have no idea what my head hit. My body was bounced into the air and I llanded on the gas tank. I am thinking i scraped the mirror or something.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »

;)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.