Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corrosion on front fender  (Read 4962 times)

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
Corrosion on front fender
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »

Doing my 30k inspection, removing my front fender found corrosion (rust) below the paint surface in the black. I was upset at the least. I love this bike for the following reasons

1. Bike is beautiful to look at
2. Runs great
3. Fun to ride

So, the little corrosion is like a huge kick in the nuts. I will bring it to the paint shop on Tuesday and see if they can fix it without destroying the overly cool custom paint on the fender, hopefully without breaking many banks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Corrosion on front fender
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »

Doing my 30k inspection, removing my front fender found corrosion (rust) below the paint surface in the black. I was upset at the least. I love this bike for the following reasons

1. Bike is beautiful to look at
2. Runs great
3. Fun to ride

So, the little corrosion is like a huge kick in the nuts. I will bring it to the paint shop on Tuesday and see if they can fix it without destroying the overly cool custom paint on the fender, hopefully without breaking many banks.

Unfortunate you're dealing with the issue.  Hard to complain too much though about a bolted contact point that begins to show a little after 13 years.  Good catch on your part though.  Get it touched up and ride it to the quarter century mark :drink: .

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »

It wasn't by the bolt, it is on the back of the fender closest to the road about 1/2" up darn close to the custom paint.

Thanks for the advise

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »

Will post a photo tomorrow

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

It wasn't by the bolt, it is on the back of the fender closest to the road about 1/2" up darn close to the custom paint.

Thanks for the advise

My Road Glide is three years older more classic than your Deuce.  If we like 'em and continue to ride them that's the TLC that comes to be required.  The old classic Road Glide got a front fender repaint about a year and a half ago.  It's an easier pill to swallow than your Deuce though.  Front fender on it is one color.

I might be mistaken here.  Have recollection of someone on the site offering some spare Deuce painted parts for sale some time back.  It's been awhile but I don't remember reading of them being sold.  If you're patient enough to search through a couple years worth of for sale threads might be worthwhile.

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »

Ok, guess I am a little picky. Here is the photo now that my bride went to work I was able to use the kitchen for better lighting...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »

Ok, guess I am a little picky. Here is the photo now that my bride went to work I was able to use the kitchen for better lighting...

A dozen years plus and picked up a chip that comes from actually being in use.  That's not a bad thing.  That's just a badge of honor showing the damn thing actually gets ridden.

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

Dropped it off at the paint shop this morning, they believe they can fix it correctly $200 and a few days. I will get it on my next day off (Tuesday). I will post photo when I get it back.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »

Dropped it off at the paint shop this morning, they believe they can fix it correctly $200 and a few days. I will get it on my next day off (Tuesday). I will post photo when I get it back.

Best of luck on having it all sorted promptly and in good order.   :2vrolijk_21:

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 02:46:41 PM »

Just a heads up, keep an eye on this area when cleaning the bike. If that chip had been touched up soon after it happened it would keep it from getting rusty to the point that it needs sanding and painting to fix. I always seem to pick up small chips in the edge of the fender and have been able to touch them up before any problems. It has been part of my clean up routine to inspect both fenders closely after every wash.
T-MAN 117 kit

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »

Good info, there was/is more corrosion (minimal) under the paint further up. It is hard to photograph. They claim to just redo the black and not affect the graphics. We will see next week.

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »

Pickup up the fender from the paint shop this morning. They blended in the black, cleared the whole fender. The result was good, $200 later I hope I am good for the next 13 years.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.