Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: riding and speeding  (Read 5571 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
riding and speeding
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »

wondering.....how often do you guys  go over 100 , 120 mph , when your riding for an hour or two, rural areas of course I want to see how I stack up !!:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: riding and speeding
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »

I speed a lots less the last few years......here in BC 40 km/h over and you lose your vehicle for a week.....once in my Grand Cherokee was enough!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:52:48 AM »

almost never...
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 11:12:31 AM »

damn I'm bad then,... cause I stretch my machine  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 05:07:59 PM »

Just one opinion but, why?  That fast isn't getting one someone any quicker it's just doing it for the sake of doing it.  On a closed course, road, or track?  Sure.  On a public roadway?  Nah.  Just like raising the front wheel or cracking loud pipes next to someone's open window; that's the kind of thing that makes others look at all riders sideways.  And I just want to be left alone.

Not even speaking to all the "what ifs?".  Like what if a tire blows or there's unexpected unseen obstacle, pothole, sudden low flying bird, etc etc etc.  If someone wants to roll the dice with their own balls so be it.  Not for me to say or judge.  But the impression left causes the greater scrutiny on all of us.  And that's just annoying sometimes.

Like I said, just one guy's opinion.  Go ride 80 on a good road with good site lines?  Sure.  100 or 120?  Nah, just too much other attendant crap potentially involved.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:25:59 PM »

I remember being told this when I started riding. "No fender benders on a motorcycle".. I think that's all I have to say. And we should all remember.    Just my. 02. Stuart

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 07:50:50 PM »

As I've gotten older my guardian angels can't fly as fast as they used to I stay within the speed they can watch over me. I do like getting up to the speed limit quickly... IE: getting on the "sweet spot" of the cam as I go thru the gears.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »

As I've gotten older my guardian angels can't fly as fast as they used to I stay within the speed they can watch over me. I do like getting up to the speed limit quickly... IE: getting on the "sweet spot" of the cam as I go thru the gears.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

It's amazing how the machines (even the old ones) get more and more capable as we get older. I'm sure it's not our skills or the size of our balls diminishing. 

When I first got the FXR about three years ago now I really could easily outride what those old single pot calipers could do as brakes.  Hard to believe how bad some of that stuff was back in the day.  Brake and other upgrades made it comfortable though.  Now I am once again the weak link (and am smart enough to know it).  :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 08:39:08 PM »

damn I'm bad then,... cause I stretch my machine  :nixweiss:

I've been accused of that a time or two....     :nixweiss:    :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 09:45:04 PM »

iffin yas ain't gonna red line um, no need to up grade any performance mods, just stay in the right lane, putt along :nixweiss:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 11:14:45 PM »

iffin yas ain't gonna red line um, no need to up grade any performance mods, just stay in the right lane, putt along :nixweiss:
gotcha!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 08:13:09 AM »

Yea........I've never been accused of that right lane stuff.    :P :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 09:07:45 AM »

I believe I used up all my "Luck" during my younger years of riding.  Now days I don't think it's worth it.  Yes, I ride "slightly faster than the flow of traffic", but my days of exceeding 110mph are few and far between.

The last time I did that was in 2017.  GoldWing John and I had were on our way back from the Sedona, AZ and Grand Canyon CVO GTG.  We left Needles, CA enroute to Barstow, CA.  The GPS said we "should be there by 5:00".  We arrived at 4:30.  We averaged 105mph, hitting a high of 115 at one point.  The road was mostly flat, straight, and everyone was nice and let us by.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »

Trying to beat the rain home from Virginia I rode 90 most of the way. Highway with lite trafic. Troopers just let me pass.  but  I like to ride the curves more than seeing over 100 mph.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 12:21:04 PM »

When I first got the FXR about three years ago now I really could easily outride what those old single pot calipers could do as brakes.  Hard to believe how bad some of that stuff was back in the day.  Brake and other upgrades made it comfortable though.  Now I am once again the weak link (and am smart enough to know it).  :2vrolijk_21:

Don, I have a similar story.  I bought my '76 FLH Shovelhead from a good friend and it was my first bike after a dry spell.  Actually it was my first truly road worthy Harley.  He had upgraded to an '03 CVO Deuce and loved it.  We were coming back from IL, just the two of us and on the way across on the ferry we decided to swap bikes so he could get the feel of his old FLH rejuvenated so to speak.  When we left the landing ramp he took off and I followed.  I had passed him and we were coming to the first stop sign.  I ran up quite quickly and broke hard.  I looked behind me and he was coming on strong, but didn't seem to be slowing down much.  He blew right through the stop sign and finally slowed to a stop.  The brakes on the Deuce were very good, but the brakes on the FLH were only as good as they were new.... which meant they couldn't stop you from 20 mph in 20 feet.

He as shaken up a bit and felt lucky that there wasn't any traffic ahead of us.  I could lock up the FLH brakes, but I knew exactly how hard to pull and press to get the beast to slow down.  Oh what technology has done for us and our toys!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.