Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riding Position  (Read 894 times)

Bucketofbolts

• CVO1: FLTRSEI2
Riding Position
« on: January 10, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »

Well, got the new rubber doughnuts and swing arm pivot axle with bearing installed. Wow what a difference the entire wobble is gone. Thanks HDdude for the information and your right it’s like riding a rail and I didn’t notice any stiffening of the ride. I had it done at a local shop and while they had it torn down they convinced me on true dual Vance and Hines exhaust and drive belt.  It runs better and sounds awesome. I thank you all for your help.
I do have one more problem that I haven’t seen posted yet and hope someone can help me on.
How do I set up the riding position without buying a ton of stuff that doesn’t work? I’ve seen posts on seats and handle bars but nothing on riding positions and how to set it up.  I’m sure it’s a combination of Floorboards, seat and handle bars.
It feels like I am sitting on top of the bike instead of in it.  I am 6ft tall long armed and long legged.  My knees are even with the top of the gas tank and feel folded up. To be honest I look like a Baboon trying to screw a coconut when riding it.
I have already installed the extended floor boards and brake pedal but it doesn’t seem to have helped much. When I was at the local shop the other day I herd of a guy who just bought a 2009 SE with the same problem and was going to install forward controls. There has got to be a way to figure this out without buying a ton of stuff that won’t fix the problem.
I’d appreciate any advice you all may have on the subject. :help: :wall:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Riding Position
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »

Unfortunately riders are not all the same size so adjustment of the bike to the rider is not a one-size-fits-all proposition.  The first advice is to do the obvious and cheap things first.  Make sure the floorboards are in their lowest position (yes, there is vertical adjustment).  See if changing position of the stock handlebars can help.

Once you done the cheap or free things then start with one piece.  Since I always seem to hate stock seats I do that first.  But find one part of the equation that you like and will in some way improve things for you.  Do that.  See where you are.  And adjust other pieces from there.

For me it's always this order.  Seat first.  Windshield (because I can't know how high I'll be until the seat is on).  Then handlebar adjustment or replacement. 

But never all at the same time.  Can't predict what need will be for any one until you know how some other change will place you.

Bucketofbolts

• CVO1: FLTRSEI2
Re: Riding Position
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »

Thanks Twolanerider,
   Thats what I was thinking and why I put the extended floorboards on at the lowest position. Is there anyway to measure for a seat? Most dealers don't have seats on hand to try out and I'd hate to drop the coin for one that isn't set back or raised enough.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.