Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not Charging  (Read 2034 times)

inferno1976

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary #8
Not Charging
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »

I am consistantly having this issue which, the dealership cannot figure out.  My voltage gauge is down to 10-11 volts when running.  The battery and check engine lights are on.  The voltage regulator has been replaced, but has not corrected the issue.  Anyone that has possibly experienced this issue or knows what is the cause, please help me out.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
Re: Not Charging
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:45:58 AM »

Have you had the stator checked?

The stator is produces the electrical charge needed to recharge the battery, like an alternator on a car.

The regulator removes excess voltage that would otherwise damage the battery.

And, the battery powers everything electronic on the bike.

You say the battery and voltage regulator are good, so that leaves the stator....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »

Find another dealership or a good independent.  Any dealer "technician" who can't troubleshoot the simple charging system Harley uses is no technician.  As redbeard said, they need to check the stator and the regulated and unregulated output of the system.  Just changing parts without doing any diagnosis isn't the proper way to do things.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

inferno1976

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary #8
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »

Also with this issue, is that it is not always continuous.  Meaning that when I take the bike in to be gone over, it isn't occuring at that moment and they can't find a problem.  The last time the dealership looked at it they replaced the voltage regulator.  I picked the bike up at closing time.  The bike still had the same issue driving off the lot (10-11 volts, battery light and engine light on.)  I've been told the chromed voltage regulator gets hot and can cause this condition, but there are times when I have either just started the bike up or have riden only a couple of miles when this issue occurs. I have also been told that the Stator is either working correctly or not working correctly. There is No in-between
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:13:35 AM by inferno1976 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:48:53 AM »

I am consistantly having this issue which, the dealership cannot figure out.  My voltage gauge is down to 10-11 volts when running.  The battery and check engine lights are on.  The voltage regulator has been replaced, but has not corrected the issue.  Anyone that has possibly experienced this issue or knows what is the cause, please help me out.
Also with this issue, is that it is not always continuous.  Meaning that when I take the bike in to be gone over, it isn't occuring at that moment and they can't find a problem.  The last time the dealership looked at it they replaced the voltage regulator.  I picked the bike up at closing time.  The bike still had the same issue driving off the lot (10-11 volts, battery light and engine light on.)  I've been told the chromed voltage regulator gets hot and can cause this condition, but there are times when I have either just started the bike up or have riden only a couple of miles when this issue occurs. I have also been told that the Stator is either working correctly or not working correctly. There is No in-between

You were fed some of that usual Harley BS.  It's got nothing to do with the regulator being chromed or not.  When you have an intermittent problem, as opposed to a failure that just stays bad until it's fixed, it takes a little more time and ability than what some "techs" seem to possess.  I would suggest again that you find a competent shop to do a full diagnostic routine and dig until they find the problem.  I don't see where you mention the battery being low enough you can't start the bike.  If that's the case, you may not have a real charging problem at all, but rather a problem with the wiring or other components that's giving you the low voltage indication and the battery and engine lights.  Btw, what codes did they find stored in the ECM? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »

These Einstein folks that can not diag your charging system are the same people that alot of folks on this site feel more "comfortable" servicing and checking there bikes. This is a relatively simple system with very few moving parts. So sad.

Page created in 3.599 seconds with 24 queries.