Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 gauge illumination  (Read 1781 times)

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
2015 gauge illumination
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:53 PM »

It drives me nuts that my gauges are not illuminated all the time like my previous e-glides were. Riding home in the rain today I could really have used some illumination so that i could actually see my gauges, but apparently the geniuses at the motor company feel they know best when I need to see my gauges and illumination is controlled by a sensor. OK rant over.

Does anyone know of a solution to make the gauges illuminate constantly or how to install a rheostat to control brightness? Thanks!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2015 gauge illumination
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »

It drives me nuts that my gauges are not illuminated all the time like my previous e-glides were. Riding home in the rain today I could really have used some illumination so that i could actually see my gauges, but apparently the geniuses at the motor company feel they know best when I need to see my gauges and illumination is controlled by a sensor. OK rant over.

Does anyone know of a solution to make the gauges illuminate constantly or how to install a rheostat to control brightness? Thanks!

If there is no user control available (double check the manuals), then you could always do what I did on a car that had automatic headlamps that didn't come on as early as I prefer.  Locate the sensor, and apply a bit of window tint film.  Companies have eliminated the adjustability that used to exist many many years ago, in the name of cost reduction, and rather than try to add a variable resistor to a circuit to make it adjustable I took the easy approach.  Worked like a charm, and if you want more adjustability just vary the light blocking rating of the film.  Sounds pretty shadetree, but it worked.  I'm not exactly sure where the sensor is on the bike, but most likely it's in the infotainment screen somewhere.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.