Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: My wrist was killing me by the time I stopped!  (Read 10018 times)

Sleky

• Right hand = THROTTLE!
    • IL

• CVO1: '11 Convertible
Re: My wrist was killing me by the time I stopped!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »

I feel you.  I ended up putting a phone mount on yesterday, so I had the opportunity to move the placement of my lever.  I moved it 'up' and I'm hopeful that not having to reach for it as much coupled with removing the cobwebs out of my forearm will help.  It is a much bigger bike, expectation management, right?

And I agree with you VaEagle.  Same as a car, it is in gear always.  I like to rock when I am stopped as well.  Or, at least I used to.  I like the feel of the drivetrain engaging.  Just that little pull and strain on my legs to let me know that she's ready.  ;D  That might have to be a habit I curve.  Maybe...  The dealer did say that this kinda clutch, either is engaged or not and that feathering the clutch isn't possible.  I'm still obviously very green with this bike still.  But I'm calling BS.  I swear it feels like my other bike that had a cable.  I swear!!  Hmmmmm
Rubberside down....  Get home safe to ride tomorrow!

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »

I'm a lefty so I've never had issues with a tight clutch.  All of my friends who have tight clutches complained at first.  Over time they got used to it.   Also, you can shift without using your clutch if you know how to time it correctly.  I'm not a fan of clutchless shifting but I know people who do it with no issues.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 02:55:17 AM »

Hey Sleky,
Yeah I was also taught about holding of the clutch lever when stopped at lights for safety reasons. And I do watch approaching vehicles from the rear. But after traffic behind has stopped or if there is no one behind me it goes into neutral. Maybe in my case its a lazy old man thing resting my old body any chance I get. I am thinking maybe you guys are on the young side of say 40...especially with the comment of enjoying rocking back and forth while stopped in gear. You may out grow that enjoyment when your wrists and knees reach 60...that's years, not MPH. As for the motorists behind me being annoyed about anything I may be doing...I simply could not care less. I ride to make me happy...no one else. There is no one who dictates how fast or slow I go...just me. If someone is on my ass I simply move over and let him pass. More stuff you may appreciate when you get older. Just fun in with you ...you young whippersnappers.
Welcome to the site.
Enjoy your new scoot and Stay Safe.  :)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 12:59:10 PM »

I feel you.  I ended up putting a phone mount on yesterday, so I had the opportunity to move the placement of my lever.  I moved it 'up' and I'm hopeful that not having to reach for it as much coupled with removing the cobwebs out of my forearm will help.  It is a much bigger bike, expectation management, right?

And I agree with you VaEagle.  Same as a car, it is in gear always.  I like to rock when I am stopped as well.  Or, at least I used to.  I like the feel of the drivetrain engaging.  Just that little pull and strain on my legs to let me know that she's ready.  ;D  That might have to be a habit I curve.  Maybe...  The dealer did say that this kinda clutch, either is engaged or not and that feathering the clutch isn't possible.  I'm still obviously very green with this bike still.  But I'm calling BS.  I swear it feels like my other bike that had a cable.  I swear!!  Hmmmmm

You still have a small area  in the pull where you can slip the clutch or rock the bike. It is not like a switch (either on or off).  I don't usually have trouble finding neutral unless I didn't shift all the way down when stopping. I agree that you should keep your clutch in when stopped in case you need to move suddenly! That said, if there is stopped traffic all around (nobody is moving) I will put her in neutral and rest. 

Ldblu10

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

2010 Clutch question
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »

I've been complaining about the tension in my clutch since I bought it.  I have a 2010 Softail CVO and I get the standard answer.  On the day I bought this, the clutch bled out before I even made it home.  I was stranded.  When I got it in the shop the next day they gave me a song and dance and did whatever.  Now I'm not sure it's ever been right.  At Sturgis this year, I had the opportunity to test out the clutch on a 2010 Ultra CVO and it was like butter!  I need that now that I have arthritis in my thumb.  Is there a difference between these two clutches?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »

:-\
yes,  there have been issues with the hydraulic clutch setup.  In most cases,  assuming you are not riding in an enduro for hours on end (not likely on a Harley) and/or are not caught up in a major traffic backup event like (parade traffic) thru Myrtle Beach and/or Daytona and/or downtown Sturgis.........where you are constantly using the clutch.

Given the above circumstances or others similar to them,  if those do NOT apply to you....................you need to get one of those spring loaded grip devices to exercise your wrist and hand muscles. :drink:

Cause it AINT the bike that has the problem

Lucky Doug

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »

I don't know if it is relevant but I would dry shift my 01 sporty. Ended up with a bent shifter thingy. Only cost $3 but it did have to be repaired.

Mrs C

• Junior CVO Member
  • Maxine
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »

Searching for help on this subject.  Have had trouble with the clutch since picking the bike up.  I am now heading to surgery on my wrist due to stress on the bones.  They have adjusted the lever for me and short of taking out the hydraulic, there is nothing they can do.  Surgery not until next fall (long ortho waiting lists here in Canada) so need to get through the summer.  Have a big trip to Colorado/Utah/New Mexico in July...
Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish...but you can only spend it once!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.