Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Hou'ray for Ouray, 2015! CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO and Back.  (Read 27528 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Hou'ray for Ouray, 2015! 2015 CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO and Back.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »

Friday, June 12:  It's 122 miles from Springdale to the North Rim and a beautiful ride.  Take the 9 out the east exit of Zion to Carmel Junction.  Then south on the 89 through Jacob Lake and the Kaibab Plateau to the Rim.  Brian Porter / UFO_HOG once told me that once you've seen the North Rim, you'll not go back to the South.  Yep! 

Desiree from Huntington Beach, CA,  The answer is / was yes. 

For Brian:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:00:08 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »

The Grand Canyon Lodge is at Bright Angel Point on the North Rim.  It was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood, who designed a number of other hotels in national parks for the Utah Parks Company and other concessioners. Built in 1927-28, the Lodge consists of the Main Lodge building, 23 deluxe cabins, and 91 standard cabins, some of which were moved to the north rim campground in 1940.  Constructed of native Kaibab limestone and timber, the complex was designed to harmonize with its rocky and forested setting.  It is the only complete surviving lodge and cabin complex in the national parks.

Had lunch at the Lodge in the beautiful restaurant where, surprisingly, the prices were reasonable in spite of the remote location.   Had to let a thunder storm pass but also had to make 123 miles to Page, AZ by that night.  So, it was back up the 67 to Jacob Lake and then the 89 A and 89 into Page.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »

East from Jacob Lake is the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument on your left and the CO River on your right,  It's a desolate area.  So much so, some of the inhabitants still live in rock houses. 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:56:10 AM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 05:55:04 PM »

Just off the 89 entering Page, AZ, only another 3/4 mile hike, you encounter a great bend in the Colorado River called Horseshoe Bend.  The overlook is 4,200 feet above sea level, and the Colorado River is at 3,200 feet above sea level, making it a 1,000-foot drop.

I did not get to stay to get the perfect sunset photo but here is what to try to get:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »

Saturday, June 13:  I've wanted to see the slot canyons for many years.  Antelope Canyon the best known but Owl and Rattlesnake Canyons are magnificent as well.  They are located on Navajo land east of Page. Antelope Canyon includes two separate, photogenic slot canyon sections, referred to individually as Upper Antelope Canyon or The Crack; and Antelope Canyon or The Corkscrew.  Both are approximately 120' deep but very narrow.

The Navajo name for Upper Antelope Canyon is Tsé bighánílíní, which means "the place where water runs through rocks." Lower Antelope Canyon is Hazdistazí (advertised as "Hasdestwazi" by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department), or "spiral rock arches." Both are located within the LeChee Chapter of the Navajo Nation. 

I signed up for a Navajo lead, photographic tour of the three canyons.  Owl: 

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »

Obviously, Owl Canyon is named for it's inhabitants.  The sand at the bottom is littered with the bones of small animals which fell prey to the Owls.  Fortunately, Rattlesnake Canyon is named for it's shape!   :nervous:   :huepfenlol2: 

Entrance:

Our guide:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 06:23:29 PM »

Top of Rattlesnake Canyon:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »

Upper Antelope Canyon:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 06:42:20 PM »

Upper Antelope:

Sawyer Brown

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »

Greg, it was great to meet you and those are some COOL pics!!!!   Another CVO rider that enjoys one of my favorite passions (hiking!).  Kathy and I really enjoyed your singing on the farewell night of the CVO GTG.  Kathy says that she is practicing "Carpenter's Son" for the next GTG.  Ron :)
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 11:26:45 PM »

Greg,  your pictures came out great. I see that you figured out how to work with RAW files.  I wish I had the time to take a trip like that.   Maybe in a few years when I retire?    It was a pleasure meeting you and all the other CVO members.

John
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the rest of them.

Simon

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »

Greg, it was great to meet you and those are some COOL pics!!!!   Another CVO rider that enjoys one of my favorite passions (hiking!).  Kathy and I really enjoyed your singing on the farewell night of the CVO GTG.  Kathy says that she is practicing "Carpenter's Son" for the next GTG.  Ron :)

Thanks Ron!  Can't ride all the time.  My body needs the exercise.  Have Kathy look at this chart:  If I Were a Carpenter

Greg,  your pictures came out great. I see that you figured out how to work with RAW files.  I wish I had the time to take a trip like that.   Maybe in a few years when I retire?    It was a pleasure meeting you and all the other CVO members.

John

John, I got lucky on the RAW software.  Your shooting was inspiring!  You have me wanting to upgrade my camera body, at least!  Great to meet you and I hope we get to ride together soon. 

GK

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 03:20:11 AM »

After my "Tour of the Slot Canyons," it was time to head to Moab, 273 miles away, after backtracking to Page for some lunch. I headed east on the 98 through the Shonto wilderness, Tsegi and Kayenta.  Turned north on the 163 through Monument Valley and Mexican hat which I've posted on before,  UFO_HOG's Extraterrestrial Ride 2012 but had to get a shot of the spot where Forrest Gump stopped running. 

The 163 runs into the 191 North through Bluff, where I stopped for gas.  I saw an '09 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide owned by a die hard LSU fan:

It seemed like I was dodging thunder storms all day.  They caught up with me between Bluff and Blanding.  Got a little rain but ran through about 4" of hail on the street.  I was so shocked I did not think to get a picture.  From there towards Moab it got hot.  On the 191, a couple of miles south of La Sal you see Wilson's Arch:   

In Moab, through Airbnb, I stayed at Moab Beds and Bagels run by Tammy and her husband out of their home.  It was nicer that any of the hotels I'd used thus far.  So if you're ever in Moab.....

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 03:40:02 AM »

Sunday, June 14:  From Moab to Ouray is only 150 miles.  191 south, UT-46 east becomes 90-CO east, 141 to 145 to 62 all east which runs into the 550 in Ridgeway.  That left time for a morning visit to the Islands In The Sky portion of Canyonlands National Park, 10 miles up from Moab on the 191, then about 20 miles west on the 313.  Canyonlands is the most underrated of Utah's National Parks.  Mesa Arch is but a 10 minute hike from the park road:

At the top elevation of the park is the Grand View Overlook:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:42:31 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 22 queries.