Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weber grill tops-------want the cast iron versions  (Read 846 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Weber grill tops-------want the cast iron versions
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »

:(
I've owned several Weber grills over the years.  Now my current Weber has some problems and I'm trying to decide whether to fix it or just replace it.  I have a Genesis S310 stainless model bought back in 2010 per the Weber rep I just spoke with.

Living near the coastline,  the entire floor of my grill has corroded away.  Grill looks OK at a glance,  but I have the doors closed via a small bungy cord as the post with the magnet on it inside that held the doors closed has rotted away along with the floor section inside.  Pretty much the rest of the whole grill is OK.

Rep said I could get a new bottom panel for around $80 shipped to me.   May just do that.

But another aggrevation to me are the grill tops.  Mine came with the stainless steel rod grill tops and while they are still in tact,  I'm not crazy about them and want to substitute cast iron grill tops....BUT,  I DO NOT want the porcelain enamel coated....cast iron tops.  I just want plain cast iron grill tops which used to be available for various Weber grills.   Now I'm not able to find 'em that are not porcelain coated..........Anybody got a source. :nixweiss:

By the way,  also not crazy about the (battery operated) grill starter,  it too gets corroded and fails to work and I quit using it years ago.........while on my previous Weber,  it had that red button jobbie that created a "spark" and it never failed me. :-\

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Weber grill tops-------want the cast iron versions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »

I was curious since I have the same grill, did a simple search "Weber Genesis cast iron grates" and found several possibilities.  Seemed to be about $70/set. 

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »

:-\
If you found a source that is exclusively just cast iron,  pls advise.

yesterday,  I was on the phone again with Weber to order a bottom panel (mine had rusted out as I live near the coast).  But I also wanted to replace my grill tops.  I got a Weber rep that knew the "story"...............He said that Weber quit putting out just plain cast iron grill tops in 2003.

Because of complaints that customers had cause they were "clueless" as to "prepping" any cast iron cookware as most knowledgeable people already knew............back to your great grandparents.

You have to coat the castiron with lard/cooking oil/etc. and "bake" it into the metal.  This takes repeated times to get the item "cured".........so to speak.   But most customers just scrubbed the grill top and then were "pissed" to find rust the next time they wanted to use their grill..............So...............Weber said f*** it..........and now they just put out porcelain coated cast iron grill tops............Now you know the story. :nixweiss:

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »

Making the same search again, thebbqdepot.com (among others) has the cast iron grates for a Genesis (about $80).  They also have the porcelain and stainless-steel grates.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.