Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Motor home rental?  (Read 6865 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Motor home rental?
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:48 PM »

Any members ever rented a motor home and traveled? Some day I'd like to own one but I don't know anything about them and I don't want to purchase one until we are close to retiring so I was thinking if we rented a few we could start to figure out what works best for us.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Re: Motor home rental?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:35:30 AM »

We bought one when I retired at the end of 2013. We are now on our second one and I love it. We use it for bike rallies and holidays both in the UK and Europe. We are hoping to do some longer trips in Europe next year. We looked at a lot of them before we settled on a size and layout that really suited us. A lot of the layouts are a compromise but there will be one that's just right for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:58:54 AM »

Jesse, I like the way you think. Renting makes sense, in that you can find out what you like and what you don't. We rented one for three weeks with the kids when they were young years ago and went to Black Hills and Yellowstone. Had a ball. We could stop anywhere, anyplace for lunch or a rest and we had all our stuff with us.  I saw a web site for RV rental recently, but don't remember where. They had all sizes and were mostly personal rentals all over the midwest.  I think the insurance makes it hard for commercial people to make it by renting.  I have thought it would be fun to rent a 5th wheel toy hauler for a month in the winter and go south, just to see.  Good luck with your plans.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »

Are you planning to pull the harley?  A gas will pull it but with a Diesel pusher no problems.  Also getting in and out of truck stops is easier with the DP.  The DP is also quieter.  If you look to buy look at the tiffin family.  I was very close to purchasing the red, but really love the phaeton. 

The one thing I go back and forth on is DP or toy hauler.  With the toy hauler, you have the bike and a truck.  The biggest issue with the toy hauler, for me, is the layout.  We want a king bed with washer and dryer for the 2 week trips and a layout that faces the television.
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »

You are smart to rent first. A friend of ours has a propane generator and he says his A/C will run 8 hrs and empty the R/V size bottle and propane can be a little more difficult to find-unload the bottle-carry spares etc etc. Though it may burn cleaner pain in the azz. the gas and diesel jennys will run off of the motor homes fuel supply or the toybox gas station tanks, you will have plenty and ez ready availability.
   We went toybox and like it but the money would buy a chitpot of hotel rooms, and watch the fixed expenses like insurance, tires rotting away, motor home truck chassis maintenance and depreciation.
  Something else comes to mind, the electrical panel "plug in" circuit can be 30 0r 50 amp, the 30 amp circuit is near the edge with a/c and little else running. You will find more 30 amp services at campgrounds, 50s are slightly less available. Some 30 amp jobs work flawlessly others are kinda underwired, some a/c units are hard to start [they add capactors to the motors].
  To a good mechanic or good home builder, most R/V trailers and motor homes are a joke under the skin, especially if your the kinda driver that doesn't pamper it. Get the opinion of a good longtime R/V repair guy, an independent one.
  For a toybox to legal the weight of two Harleys you will probably see 3 axels under it.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »

Hired motor homes for trips here in Australia and they are the best way to travel knowing you have all the essentials on bored and no need to find accomodation stopping when and were you want.
Had a trip planned for the 2013 Sturgis rally hiring a motor home for 28 days.
Booked flights, motor home, factory tour, museum tickets, bike hire from Sturgies HD, accomodation site at Sturgies 5 minutes from Full Throttle, all to be a no go due to availability of a motor home hire one way trip from Chicargo to Las Vegas.
Route planned from Chicargo to Las Vegas via Colerado, Rocky Mountains, grand canion across to Las Vegas ending our trip at Los Angeles not to mention all the other towns along the way.
Still planning on doing the same trip but looking for a hire company that will do a one one motor home hire from Chicargo to Las Vages or Los Vages  to Chicargo.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:15:31 AM by Aussie »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »

Renting first is the best option, as you'd learn on the RV forums.  At least that'll narrow it down for you as to gas vs. diesel (nearly all will tell you diesel if you can afford it....even the gas owners will tell you diesel).  Also, a class A, B or C will narrow down for you pretty quickly by renting.

Many newbies believe that the class C would be easier to drive (the van or truck cab) but in reality, veterans will tell you that the class A is much easier.  My short time RVing it seems like I see many more women driving the class A than the class C.  The class A does turn sharper and you're further forward in the vehicle than in a class c and most class A's will have back up cameras on both outside mirrors.

Tiffan was mentioned above.  We actually met Bob Tiffan and his wife at the big Orange Country RV Show last year.....in a beautiful Tiffan Bus.  The Bus is not really a bus, it's their top of the line motorhome and as soon as you step in one, you'll know it's their top of the line.  The Red and the Allegra are also very nice.  Many other brands that are equally nice and even nicer.

You can rent just about any kind of RV with the exception of a 5th wheel.  If you're going to go with a trailer or 5th wheel I'd suggest you get a 1 ton.  The 3/4 ton really limits you to the small 5th wheels.

What ever you get now, you'll probably change in a few years so buy used first!  RVs are not like cars/trucks.....people only use them a few weeks a year (unless they're full timing) and so you can find many that are several years old that look new.  Many great deals out there on used no more than 5 yrs. old.  Let somebody else take the hit on depreciation.  The high end class A that are ten years old or older, diesels, are a real value and many with low mileage.  50,000-75,000 miles is nothing on a diesel pusher.

Here is a link to the largest RV consignment dealer in the nation.  They only do consignments, no new sales so you will not be pressured into an up sale.  I also use it to get a general idea of the current value of used RVs as well as NADA Guide.  Remember, these are consignments and only "asking" price and so sale price will usually be lower.... 

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

And here's a link to RV Consumer Group.  They rate all makes and models of RVs every year.  It's web based.  They don't have the ability to personally test and review each make/model every year personally.  They do it through surveys sent to actual owners so you're getting a real world, hands on ownership compilation of reviews.  It's a bit pricey but I thought it was worth it.  I was prepared to buy a 5th wheel that "looked" great.  After getting the RV Consumer Group list of reviews for 5th wheels I learned that model and even that make in general was rated pretty low and I instead went with a make that wasn't even on my radar.....  http://www.rv.org/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified a few things with more information;

1. Not currently interested in pulling the bike. My wife has her vacation limited to 1 week at a time. Living in Iowa that really hampers your options due to time restraints. I would like to rent an RV from, for example, Arizona. We would just fly into Phoenix and then go to a national park and enjoy the week. Maybe move a couple hundred miles but stay close to where we rented it.

2. We think we might want to sell the house when we retire and travel to the Keys in the winter months then travel the US in the summer months.

3. I could never justify buying a truck just to pull a camper 2-4 times a year like people do here. It blows my mind how many people I know that do that and pull their camper out to Kennedy lake 5 miles north of town and camp all weekend. That's waaaaay too much money for a couple days here and there to us.

4. Even if we found the perfect RV now, we have 20+ years to retire. I'm gonna be 41 on Wednesday and my wife is only 38! It would have to be stored almost every day all year and that's very impractical to us.

Jesse

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »

Forgot to mention while checking RV rentals I stumbled upon this which is just like VRBO home vacation rentals but for RV's. Pretty neat as we used a VRBO rental in June when we stayed at Orange Beach, AL.

http://rvshare.com/

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »

Check out Cruise America - www.cruiseamerica located at 11 W Hampton Ave, Mesa Az.  You would fly into the Phoenix - Mesa airport 6033 S. Sossman Rd, Mesa Az which is about 16 miles from the Cruise America location.  You can get a direct flight from Cedar Rapids Iowa on Allegiant Air to Mesa for reasonable rates.  We used to live in Iowa so we have flown this route a few times.

We rented a Class C from Cruise America last year for Thanksgiving week no issues, seemed to be good company.  Doing the same this year.

Another option would be to look on Craigs list Phoenix.  A lot of people in the Phoenix area rent out their personal RV's.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »

Check out Cruise America - www.cruiseamerica located at 11 W Hampton Ave, Mesa Az.  You would fly into the Phoenix - Mesa airport 6033 S. Sossman Rd, Mesa Az which is about 16 miles from the Cruise America location.  You can get a direct flight from Cedar Rapids Iowa on Allegiant Air to Mesa for reasonable rates.  We used to live in Iowa so we have flown this route a few times.

We rented a Class C from Cruise America last year for Thanksgiving week no issues, seemed to be good company.  Doing the same this year.

Another option would be to look on Craigs list Phoenix.  A lot of people in the Phoenix area rent out their personal RV's.

Hey thanks. Phoenix, AZ was just an example of 1 place we would like to endeavor. There are several all over the country. I'd just fly out of Des Moines as I am only 90 miles northwest.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »

The one thing I go back and forth on is DP or toy hauler.  With the toy hauler, you have the bike and a truck.  The biggest issue with the toy hauler, for me, is the layout.  We want a king bed with washer and dryer for the 2 week trips and a layout that faces the television.

There are a number of diesel pusher toy haulers out there.   
                https://www.google.com/search?

q=diesel+pusher+toy+hauler&biw=1280&bih=685&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMInojj98TixwIVCM6ACh1Mvg4S

At the 100th Anniv. in Milwaukee I was able to see a mid engine Travel Supreme.  This one actually has two baggers in the garage.. put your bike in the garage in back and tow your jeep... http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Travel-Supreme-Other-115558029

This one has an Ultra Classic.....tour pack and all....

Jswerve one of the things you should know, depending on where you plan on spending your time......most state parks and national parks were built/designed many years ago and so most are limited to a 30'-35' length inside the parks.  However, most also have private owned RV parks just outside the parks that will accomodate all sizes.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »

JCZ my wife and I are not the large, over the top kind of people. We are content with minimalist living space. My current home is only about 1550 square and we are thinking about downsizing after the twins move out.

I don't even think we would need a Class A. However, awhile back there was a brand that made a 30' class A that had no bedroom so the rest of the RV had a lot more space than a normal 30' RV would. The bed came down via a power switch from the ceiling. Then you raised it back up in the a.m. It was called a Trek Safari.

"The Trek was originally produced under the Safari brand in 1991 and has had many loyal fans over the years, thanks to its smaller size, features designed for active and outdoorsy RVers, and an adventure-seeking look and feel. It was sadly discontinued in 2008, with the Trek name later acquired by ARG, along with the Safari brand."

These can still be found used.

Otherwise, I think a Class C would suffice. I don't think I could live in a Class B lol. They do offer a nice alternative for occasional travel but this would be our home.

Jesse

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:54:09 AM by Jswerve »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »

Since you have plenty of time there's no rush to do this, but before you buy for a retirement lifestyle make sure you rent one for an extended period (min 1 month) and live in it to make sure it's what you thought it would be. Had planned on doing this at retirement for 10 or so years, so when I got orders for Dam Neck, Va. for my last 2yr tour I said "now is the time". I bought a big(40ft) 5th wheel and parked it at Ft. Monroe, Va which is basically a island in the Chesapeake Bay......couldn't have been more perfect(cept them dadgum tunnels). Long story short, after 2 years, knew it wasn't what I wanted for my full time home. Good luck on your decision down the road.

Yes sir that's the whole point of renting one to begin with. Get a small taste and if we like it we would extend it. Many folks here retire and travel with their 5th wheelers to southern Texas for 4-5 months. Personally, I want to relocate to SC and spend the winters in the Keys and the summers out of the heat in the Smokies  8)

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

Travel Supreme is an awesome coach. Bought out by Jayco 7 years ago. I am on the hunt for a nice used one.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »

Yes sir that's the whole point of renting one to begin with. Get a small taste and if we like it we would extend it. Many folks here retire and travel with their 5th wheelers to southern Texas for 4-5 months. Personally, I want to relocate to SC and spend the winters in the Keys and the summers out of the heat in the Smokies  8)

Smart decision...........8hrs to central Fl & couple hrs to the Mnts(or less depending on where)!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »

Smart decision...........8hrs to central Fl & couple hrs to the Mnts(or less depending on where)!!!!!

Haha 30 mins. We like Greenville, SC. Coming down the last week of October to further inspect it.  ;D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »

JCZ my wife and I are not the large, over the top kind of people. We are content with minimalist living space. My current home is only about 1550 square and we are thinking about downsizing after the twins move out.

I don't even think we would need a Class A. However, awhile back there was a brand that made a 30' class A that had no bedroom so the rest of the RV had a lot more space than a normal 30' RV would. The bed came down via a power switch from the ceiling. Then you raised it back up in the a.m. It was called a Trek Safari.

"The Trek was originally produced under the Safari brand in 1991 and has had many loyal fans over the years, thanks to its smaller size, features designed for active and outdoorsy RVers, and an adventure-seeking look and feel. It was sadly discontinued in 2008, with the Trek name later acquired by ARG, along with the Safari brand."

These can still be found used.

Otherwise, I think a Class C would suffice. I don't think I could live in a Class B lol. They do offer a nice alternative for occasional travel but this would be our home.

Jesse

The Trek is a class A.  I was in one just a few weeks ago.  There are several class A in the 30-35' range.  Something that small you can go with a gas rig and get around just fine unless you're towing.  But very small for full timing in after you retire.  A class A is going to give you a few more feet of living space where a class C in the same length would have smaller living area due to the motor compartment.

That PPL Motorhomes web site that I provided above will give you a lot of options.  They also have many options in that length in trailers and 5th wheels for after you retire. 

Something else to consider.....are you going to be in very hot or very cold area?  If so, then you'll want thermal pane windows so your heaters aren't running non stop.  They don't condensate nightly in cold areas like single pane do and they usually have heated holding tanks, also for the cold areas.  But they work equally well in the extreme heat, also.  Dual pane will keep your rig cooler and not run your A/C non stop.

West Coast GTG   

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »

The Trek is a class A.  I was in one just a few weeks ago.  There are several class A in the 30-35' range.  Something that small you can go with a gas rig and get around just fine unless you're towing.  But very small for full timing in after you retire.  A class A is going to give you a few more feet of living space where a class C in the same length would have smaller living area due to the motor compartment.

That PPL Motorhomes web site that I provided above will give you a lot of options.  They also have many options in that length in trailers and 5th wheels for after you retire. 

Something else to consider.....are you going to be in very hot or very cold area?  If so, then you'll want thermal pane windows so your heaters aren't running non stop.  They don't condensate nightly in cold areas like single pane do and they usually have heated holding tanks, also for the cold areas.  But they work equally well in the extreme heat, also.  Dual pane will keep your rig cooler and not run your A/C non stop.

Yes sir, I said the Trek Safari was a Class A. I mentioned we didn't care for Class A's in general except the Trek due to being 30' or shorter and not wasting space on a bedroom that you rarely use.

The whole point of a motorhome (to us) is spending time outdoors. I have no desire to sit in one all day. I would not sit in a motorhome in a cold climate, don't see the point. Winters south, summers north out of the heat.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »

Jesse,

We have owned 3 over the years and I will tell you I would never buy another one.  Would I rent one yes but to own one and keep up with the maintenance and breakdowns no way.  No matter how much you invest in a motorhome it will breakdown at some point.  In my case our last one went through two transmissions in 3 years, it was a gas motor powered coach.  I could live with the trannies but then on year four spun a main bearing lost the motor.  After spending $5,700.00 we got it back and sold it.  I have a bunch of friends that own them, there are at l3st 20 of them and they travel all over the country.  What is weird they pretty much don't ride their Harley's anymore.  By all means, rent before taking the plunge and remember if you buy one you need to store it somewhere when not in use.  If outdoors, the weather can be brutal on them.

Here is our last one on the inside.  All remodeled by me and my wife. I cut and beveled the glass too.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »

Jesse,

We have owned 3 over the years and I will tell you I would never buy another one.  Would I rent one yes but to own one and keep up with the maintenance and breakdowns no way.  No matter how much you invest in a motorhome it will breakdown at some point.  In my case our last one went through two transmissions in 3 years, it was a gas motor powered coach.  I could live with the trannies but then on year four spun a main bearing lost the motor.  After spending $5,700.00 we got it back and sold it.  I have a bunch of friends that own them, there are at l3st 20 of them and they travel all over the country.  What is weird they pretty much don't ride their Harley's anymore.  By all means, rent before taking the plunge and remember if you buy one you need to store it somewhere when not in use.  If outdoors, the weather can be brutal on them.

Here is our last one on the inside.  All remodeled by me and my wife. I cut and beveled the glass too.

That is sweet. Sorry about your troubles. I have no desire to own an RV at this stage in life. It would simply sit about 350 days a year. Bad investment. I am just at a point in life where retirement is a priority and wanting to make sure we have our ducks in a row when the time comes. That includes exploring the next step, whether it's traveling in an RV, buying a condo on the beach or in the mountains, or simply traveling on the bike and renting cabins/etc.

Jesse

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »

Here is the outside, tag axle makes the ride smooth.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »

Here is the outside, tag axle makes the ride smooth.

Damn that thing is neat.  :bananarock:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

That is sweet. Sorry about your troubles. I have no desire to own an RV at this stage in life. It would simply sit about 350 days a year. Bad investment. I am just at a point in life where retirement is a priority and wanting to make sure we have our ducks in a row when the time comes. That includes exploring the next step, whether it's traveling in an RV, buying a condo on the beach or in the mountains, or simply traveling on the bike and renting cabins/etc.

Jesse

Jesse, They really weren't troubles, they are part of owning mechanical toys.  My buddies 45 foot high dollar coach with 30,000 miles sucked a valve on his 550 HP diesel, it cost him more to fix the motor than I sold my coach for. lol
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »

Jesse, They really weren't troubles, they are part of owning mechanical toys.  My buddies 45 foot high dollar coach with 30,000 miles sucked a valve on his 550 HP diesel, it cost him more to fix the motor than I sold my coach for. lol

A guy at work has a Ford F250 Diesel (6.4) that he pulls his 5th wheel with. He pulled it a whopping 150 miles to a bow hunting event last week and the engine blew. Gonna cost him over 10k. No thanks!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »

Damn that thing is neat.  :bananarock:

Thanks, we put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it.  38 footer.  Terri, my wife wall papered it inside, it was absolutely awesome.  I tore out the carpet and tiled the floors, a friend did all the upholstery.  All the cabinets were solid walnut, 3/4 to 1 inch thick.  The lounge  :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »

Thanks, we put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it.  38 footer.  Terri, my wife wall papered it inside, it was absolutely awesome.  I tore out the carpet and tiled the floors, a friend did all the upholstery.  All the cabinets were solid walnut, 3/4 to 1 inch thick.  The lounge  :huepfenlol2:

I despise carpet! Great job. What do you do now that it's gone rent a hotel room?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »

Because it's in your not so near future, I'll make one more comment and then STFU. You had mentioned VRBO(or any place similar) and that's the way we roll now that retirement is 3+ yrs in the past. We found that we could rent a condo anywhere for about the same(or less) than fuel & parking fee's for a RV. If you go the RV route and don't stay somewhere for 3wks +,  the parking & fuel cost(maybe not at today's record lows....but wait til it his 4bux again) make it much cheaper to rent. Not to mention you would have your scoot & a rain vehicle while there.   
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »

Because it's in your not so near future, I'll make one more comment and then STFU. You had mentioned VRBO(or any place similar) and that's the way we roll now that retirement is 3+ yrs in the past. We found that we could rent a condo anywhere for about the same(or less) than fuel & parking fee's for a RV. If you go the RV route and don't stay somewhere for 3wks +,  the parking & fuel cost(maybe not at today's record lows....but wait til it his 4bux again) make it much cheaper to rent. Not to mention you would have your scoot & a rain vehicle while there.

I don't want you to STFU  :D I came here to get some advice from ppl that have already explored it. Sounds like you have and you are giving me some great insight. My wife and I agree, you can rent A LOT of beautiful condos all over the globe for the price of one of those damn things!

We dunno if we are RVers. Have no idea. That's why I want to rent one and give it a try.

Thanks for the input!!!

Jesse

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

I despise carpet! Great job. What do you do now that it's gone rent a hotel room?

Jesse,

We had a condo in Florida for close to 10 years at the same time.  Sold condo 2 months prior to the housing market crash.  The guy that bought it lost 50% in 2 months then another 28% in the next year.  Right now if we go we either rent a house on the beach if possible or stay in a hotel.  Its fun to own all the stuff but everything requires upkeep.  just got tired of working on things.. Sold all the street rods and house boat for the same reason.  Its a lot more fun to rent and let someone else keep them up.

Just my opinion, others like to own everything.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »

Jesse,

We had a condo in Florida for close to 10 years at the same time.  Sold condo 2 months prior to the housing market crash.  The guy that bought it lost 50% in 2 months then another 28% in the next year.  Right now if we go we either rent a house on the beach if possible or stay in a hotel.  Its fun to own all the stuff but everything requires upkeep.  just got tired of working on things.. Sold all the street rods and house boat for the same reason.  Its a lot more fun to rent and let someone else keep them up.

Just my opinion, others like to own everything.

I wouldn't be in that owning everything category to date. We have always rented things. I finally got my own bike trailer but have yet to use it lol. But I know I can unload the trailer at what I paid or more anytime.

In June we rented a 2 br 2 bath condo on the beach in Orange Beach, AL for a whopping $995. Went to wally world and bought groceries for the week. Had a good time. I enjoy these types of things but was really just thinking about exploring new ways to travel :)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.