Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1985 FXRC foaming oil  (Read 3662 times)

Clewless

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

1985 FXRC foaming oil
« on: February 15, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »

I have a 1985 FXRC that has started to puke oil out of the breather on extended rides. Last summer was cruising up the highway around 70mph (3000-3200 rpm) for a couple of hours. Pulled over for a break, entire side of bike was coated with oil, wrapped pipes smoking like a Nascar blowup, oil puking all over hot engine. Checked oil tank, was full of foam. (Running Amsoil synthetic oil 20/50 with about 1000 miles on it) Trucked bike to shop. Told that oil was probably bad and to change to conventional oil. Did so. Short runs since, 30-50 miles, oil pressure usually runs about 12-13psi warmed up and cruising. Less that 500 miles on conventional oil, went for ride last night, 35 miles, about 65 degrees, half way through pressure dropped to 10 psi at speed. Checked oil back home, tank full of foam but not puking out. Anybody have any ideas, possible oil pump???

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: 1985 FXRC foaming oil
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:27:17 AM »

Breather gear maybe. Check if it's plastic, have seen them fail. I always used a S&S breather.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Clewless

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »

I agree with changing to S&S breather, already done. but thanks.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »

Have you resolved your foaming problem!  How long have you had the bike? Did this just start?. I don't know if this could cause this problem. Have you changed your oil lately & possibly used the wrong oil filter. Evos use an oil filter that doesn't have a check valve in it. TC & Evos use different oil filters.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Clewless

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »

Original owner. This is a recent problem. Just changed oil again, using K&N filter for EVO engine (usual filter choice). This time I removed the oil tank and flushed tank with diesel fuel several times. Lots of slimey crud in bottom of tank. flushed with degreaser and rinsed out 2 x's with clean oil. Checked and verified that none of the oil lines are kinked, twisted or soft. Changed all oil lines about 5 years ago. All oil lines connected correctly (oil cooler, filter, oil tank and oil pump fittings). Made sure check valve and tappet screen were clean with no debris. After filling tank with clean oil (3 qts) used Rogue Choppers' "Scavenger" crank case cleaner (1st time - EXCELLENT PRODUCT). Flushed 24 oz of oil out of crank case. Refilled tank. 3 - 60 mile trips, oil clear, only slight amount of foam in oil tank after ride. Next Sunday making run to Naples (450 miles) as good shakedown before the summer trip. Warmed oil pressure runs about 10 psi (idle) 12 psi (2500 rpm) climbs to 18 psi (over 3000 rpm). This rise in pressure is also new. Don't think that there is anything left but the oil pump. I was hoping that someone out there may have had  similar problem with an older bike. Unfortunately, less and less dealers are willing (or able) to work on older bikes, and "seasoned" independent shops are few and far between. 

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »

I have 2 Evos & have never had this problem. I'll talk to some old Harley Techs & pic their brains!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Clewless

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 07:47:23 AM »

Update: Rode to Naples (450 mi). No oil issues. Oil remains clean and clear. Oil pressure maintained 12-13 psi at speed and 10 psi at hot idle. Perhaps it was Gremlins?? A friend suggested that I burn some sage around the bike to ward off "evil spirits". I didn't have any sage.... had to make do with the next best thing. Seems to have worked.  On a side note, since I switched back to dino oil, bike (and oil) run hotter, but quieter, has more power and has marked increase in mileage (22 miles/tank). Maybe an 85 bike is happier with running a little hotter. Thanks to all who responded.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »

"A friend suggested that I burn some sage around the bike to ward off "evil spirits". "

Waving a rubber chicken over the bike will suffice.  ;D
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Clewless

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »

I try to save the rubber chicken for emergencies.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »

My gut says you had something else going on. Really don't think syn oil could cause that kind of problem.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Clewless

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 07:56:19 PM »

It was not my intention to infer that Amsoil or synthetic oil in general was the problem. I used Amsoil for about 10 yrs without any problems. My bike ran very cool, even on extended rides in South Florida. It seems to run better with dino oil, all be it running hotter.
I'm suspecting that changing the oil for 30 yrs and leaving 24 oz of oil (almost 1/3rd of capacity) in the crankcase, every time, finally reached critical mass and broke down the new oil. Did not have oil analyzed at the time. It's just my theory. After cleaning out the oil tank and flushing the old oil out of the crankcase, the foaming has stopped. I have no real answer as to why and was hoping that someone might have had a similar issue.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.