Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Buying First Pull Behind?  (Read 27358 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Buying First Pull Behind?
« on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »

If you find yourself in this category. Shop around and if possible buy a used one. The reason I say this is that you want to make sure and get what you want at the least possible price to make sure that a M/C Trailer is what you really want/need. There are several different type hitches for different brands so a test haul is not usually possible. If you camp or pack heavy on trips, a trailer might be just what you need as it puts the weight down low and on its own wheels. I bought a N-Line from a member and while I haven't pulled it in the last 3 years, it easily paid for itself on 2 extended(10 day) trips to the West Coast & Canada. I offer this advice to those that might not be sure if they want/need a trailer. The general thoughts I have read on this site is Bushtec is the best. The main thing I like about the N-Line is its tire follows the Scooter therefore much less chance of a flat. So.....shop, shop, shop and if at all possible try one first. Oh yea &.........."Happy Camping"   
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
Re: Buying First Pull Behind?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »

American Legend also makes great trailers. I used to own one then sold it to a member of this site. Or if you are handy, or not so much you could do what I did when I decided I wasn't through with long haul week to 10 day or more motorcycle trips. I built my own for just over $ 500.00. 20 cu ft capacity.
Mike
 :drink:

I have made some changes since this picture.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:28:20 PM by MIKEYTEE »
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:24:37 PM »

I have painted it all black and gone to 12" wheels.
This trailer is rock steady at 95MPH with a total weight of 450lbs.
I originally assembled it in one day. Have disassembled and reassembled it 4 times as I made modifications to it, but each time completed in one day.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »

If you find yourself in this category. Shop around and if possible buy a used one. The reason I say this is that you want to make sure and get what you want at the least possible price to make sure that a M/C Trailer is what you really want/need. There are several different type hitches for different brands so a test haul is not usually possible. If you camp or pack heavy on trips, a trailer might be just what you need as it puts the weight down low and on its own wheels. I bought a N-Line from a member and while I haven't pulled it in the last 3 years, it easily paid for itself on 2 extended(10 day) trips to the West Coast & Canada. I offer this advice to those that might not be sure if they want/need a trailer. The general thoughts I have read on this site is Bushtec is the best. The main thing I like about the N-Line is its tire follows the Scooter therefore much less chance of a flat. So.....shop, shop, shop and if at all possible try one first. Oh yea &.........."Happy Camping"

A pull behind the bike trailer is a great addition to the riding experience. I bought my first one in 1999 at Bike
Week Myrtle Beach. It was an American Legend sport. For the next few years I put over 10,000 miles on that trailer.
My second trailer was an N-Line. I bought it and painted it to match my 09 SEUC. That is the trailer Jimmy above has now and I had a blast pulling it. The trailer I have now is a BushTec Quantum. BushTec's have always set the standard for a high quality trailer.
Having had three of the best trailers I can't imagine being without one. Each of these three (N-line, American Legend and BushTec) are excellent trailers. Each of these are fairly simply made and can be worked on easy. My Quantum is a 2002 model and is in great shape. (right color also) There are many other trailer builders but I have had good luck with each of those three.

A word of warning though. There is a company in China that is building a knock off of the American Legend, the N-Line and the Bushtec. I have seen all three and a guy I know bought one of the American Legend knock offs. The three I have seen have been POS. Half ass wiring, wavy fiberglass, thin tubing. Overall a piece of crap. So buyer beware. A used BushTec, American Legend and the N-Line is a much better deal.

Since most of us have grown a little bit older as we go on our adventures I have also grown to appreciate my BushTec. The days of trying to maneuver a loaded top heavy SEUC can be a distant memory with a trailer. Every bike I have has a hitch so I can pull the BushTec. When you use a trailer it is a world of difference in comfort and confidence not having to balance that top heavy load.

I recommend using a trailer for any overnight or long distance ride. Just make sure you get a quality trailer.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »

I too pull a Bushtec and have owned many trailers. I cannot imagine traveling without one with Terri along. The knock offs mentioned are truly pieces of chit do not get screwed and buy one.  Sadly American Legend is no longer in business but there are a lot of nice used ones out there still. Another trailer I like is Motorvation Engineering they have Harley style fenders and are American made. Hannigan makes a great trailer but it is big and goes better behind a trike. Escapade trailers are nice but they too are on the heavy and larger side.

If you just want to build one do like Mikey did I've seen it and it is another good option. Good Luck.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 11:10:04 PM »

Happy Camping is right!!! And you are right on target about spending some time looking at and researching your trailer choice. Wife and I very much enjoy camping off the bike so when we first started looking at trailers our first look was at the trailers with the built in tents that unfold out of them. They are nice if you only use your trailer for camping. If you will take a realistic look at what you want out of the trailer and what you could use it for could change the direction you go. The cargo type is where we ended up. Ours is an Aluma, but there is several nice trailers out there depending on what you want to spend. N-line and Bushtec to name a couple. The trailer has really expanded what the we use the bike for. Trips to the grocery store....Sam's have all became a ride rather than a trip in the cage. Hope this category catches on because they are so useful
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »

I'm on my 3rd Bushtec and it's what I'd buy again if I were buying a cargo trailer all over again (although this one came as a part of the set).  And like Yellow09Serg mentions my first Bushtec spent more time on the bike than it did off the bike.  I used it to and from work, shopping, site seeing, grocery getter, etc.  The more you pull it, the more you get used to it and it becomes as simple as just riding the bike.

However, many years ago I did a lot of research on tent trailers and nearly bought a Time Out trailer.  At 6'4" I could stand up in it to get dressed, there is a table to eat, play cards or sit your lap top (they didn't have lap tops back then....didn't even have cell phones back then).  The other thing....it was raining in Sturgis....actually pouring big time when I got an opportunity to see the inside of this trailer first hand.  Comfortable room for four adults, completely dry inside and all their belongings were dry and the floor of the trailer is up off the ground 6" or 8" so even your feet stay dry. 

Doing a quick google I see that they're still making them a couple decades later.  It had an option of an additional zip on room to put the bike in but they didn't have that option set up (see second video).

http://www.timeouttrailers.org/Pages/TimeOutCampers.aspx

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:32:28 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 11:26:17 PM »

You are very correct on the Time Out camper trailers. They or one of their dealers had a couple models on display this year at Bikes, Blues, and BBQ. The room in them was amazing once they were all unfolded. Really caught the wife and I attention. But the more we talked after leaving their booth we are thinking for what we use the trailer for we will have to stick with the cargo.... sure hope they don't have a booth next year because I really don't have room in the garage for 2 trailers....  :2vrolijk_09:

Most great stores start with a bad decision

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 12:21:31 PM »

Bushtec bought Bunk House camper trailers a few years back.  I've seen them at the Bushtec factory in Jacksboro and they look pretty sweet to me but the wife and I aren't into camping so I cannot fully evaluate. 

http://www.bunkhousecamper.com/

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »

I'm glad to see this forum! I've been debating back and forth about getting a trailer as the wife and I like to camp. Thanks for all the great info.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:35:39 PM »

I've had three bushtec trailers over the years and wouldn't have any other if I were in the market for a trailer again. All three were great additions to an extended trip. Made packing a breeze. I pulled the last one all over the US and western Canada.
I've learned a few things on what to and not to carry from my travels so packing a bit lighter on the long trips now days.  If I found a need for a trailer again, it's just 40 miles up the road to Jacksboro from the house... ;D
As for camping, I had my share of tents in scouts. After a long day of riding, I want a shower, room and bed so no bunkhouse or time out for this old boy...:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:06:31 AM by Haird »

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:10:43 AM »

This Bushtec is on it's third paint job. Nothing better than coming out of your hotel, opening the lid and dropping your bag in while others are getting their luggage strapped into place. When it rains you don't have to worry with rain flies. The list of advantages goes on and on.

Coolage

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »

where did you get the stripe for the trailer?   Everything looks nice.

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »

where did you get the stripe for the trailer?   Everything looks nice.
A local paint shop did it. He does the custom paint work you see at Smokey Mountain Harley and the other stores they own.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 05:06:43 PM »

Do t yourself...
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 22 queries.