Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: What to do with you life ?  (Read 12275 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Re: What to do with you life ?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2007, 11:13:44 PM »

I Hope nobody minds if I share a few thoughts. I haven't been on the site in a while, problems with work have kept me from being able to send much time here. I've missed reading through the pages of comments, jokes and thoughts and in a kind of modern Cyb space way, of spending time with friends. When I came across this thread and began to read I wasn't really sure where it was going to end up. I wanted to read every post and take a little time to reflect on everyone's words and emotions before adding to them.

I was raised Catholic. Catholic school grades 1 through 6, completing all of my sacraments as I was told I had to do. I went through CCD every week, although I never really got anything out of any of it.

The church in which all matters of ceremony took place is still there, a huge, ornate beautiful building. Paintings and gold leaf, life size statues of all of the saints, massive columns. We had my fathers, Uncle's, Aunt's, cousins and all sorts of family friends funerals there, my parents were married there and celebrate Christmas mass at midnight there every year. But for me although this was God's house I have always felt that I could be closer and perhaps commune on better footing when I was out in the woods or in the mountains away from the hypocrisy. I've always felt that I didn't need a building or money to talk with God.

One of the things that comes to mind when relating this topic is when my daughter, Molly was born. I remember watching her take her first breath. Not just being born but watching her as she opened her mouth and drew in that very first breath of air. I remember thinking that there is no possible way that there couldn't be a God, look at this miraculous event. A lot of things have happened since that day, she'll be 15 next month, a lot of things that haven't been so good, divorce, cancer, death, world wide suffering, war. But a lot of good things have happened to. All of them, bad and good have only reinforced my faith.

So I guess to answer your question BB, I most surely believe in God and I believe that, as TC wrote, you only have one chance to get it right. I also get a great amount of comfort from my friend JR, he has given me something that I had lost a long time ago.

I would like to find an organized religion that I could fit into but as soon as people get involved they want to run the thing and push their own agendas and it always feels as though they miss the point of why your getting together in the first place. In a strange way I find it really sad, the very thing that brings people together pulls people apart. Please keep in mind I hold no ill will toward any religion that practices tolerance and compassion, organized or not. I honestly believe that God is looking to us to just treat each other with respect, kindness and love, not really a lot to ask for.

I heard a quote years ago, I don't recall who said it, but I think of it often, it went along the lines of, "live your life believing in God. Live everyday to try and make this a better place for everyone, treat all people with kindness. If you've done this and you get to the end of your days and there is no God, you'll still have made this a better place just by living in it, and if He's there, He'll be waiting for you to welcome you home.” 

Interesting topic.

Thanks to everybody who's contributed to it.

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2007, 02:23:05 AM »

I have really appreciated the thoughts, feelings and beliefs expressed by all in this thread.  I have a story that I want to pass on that was sent to me. It is a privelege to be a member here and I am proud to be on the team.  T MAC

Two Choices

What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line, there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question: "When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. "I believe  that when a child like Shay, physically and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people treat that child."

Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, "Do you think they'll let me play?"  Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, "We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning."

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, "Shay, run to first! Run to first!" Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second!" Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball .. the smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, "Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay"

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, "Run to third! Shay, run to third!"

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on their feet screaming, "Shay, run home! Run home!" Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team.

"That day", said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, "the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world".

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

May your day, be a Shay Day.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2007, 03:25:34 AM »

Ed   Good to see ya !!   Hope things get better with the work issues :2vrolijk_21:

T Mac      Good post..... :)
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

harleydiva

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2007, 06:40:55 PM »

I Hope nobody minds if I share a few thoughts. I haven't been on the site in a while, problems with work have kept me from being able to send much time here. I've missed reading through the pages of comments, jokes and thoughts and in a kind of modern Cyb space way, of spending time with friends. When I came across this thread and began to read I wasn't really sure where it was going to end up. I wanted to read every post and take a little time to reflect on everyone's words and emotions before adding to them.

I was raised Catholic. Catholic school grades 1 through 6, completing all of my sacraments as I was told I had to do. I went through CCD every week, although I never really got anything out of any of it.

The church in which all matters of ceremony took place is still there, a huge, ornate beautiful building. Paintings and gold leaf, life size statues of all of the saints, massive columns. We had my fathers, Uncle's, Aunt's, cousins and all sorts of family friends funerals there, my parents were married there and celebrate Christmas mass at midnight there every year. But for me although this was God's house I have always felt that I could be closer and perhaps commune on better footing when I was out in the woods or in the mountains away from the hypocrisy. I've always felt that I didn't need a building or money to talk with God.

One of the things that comes to mind when relating this topic is when my daughter, Molly was born. I remember watching her take her first breath. Not just being born but watching her as she opened her mouth and drew in that very first breath of air. I remember thinking that there is no possible way that there couldn't be a God, look at this miraculous event. A lot of things have happened since that day, she'll be 15 next month, a lot of things that haven't been so good, divorce, cancer, death, world wide suffering, war. But a lot of good things have happened to. All of them, bad and good have only reinforced my faith.

So I guess to answer your question BB, I most surely believe in God and I believe that, as TC wrote, you only have one chance to get it right. I also get a great amount of comfort from my friend JR, he has given me something that I had lost a long time ago.

I would like to find an organized religion that I could fit into but as soon as people get involved they want to run the thing and push their own agendas and it always feels as though they miss the point of why your getting together in the first place. In a strange way I find it really sad, the very thing that brings people together pulls people apart. Please keep in mind I hold no ill will toward any religion that practices tolerance and compassion, organized or not. I honestly believe that God is looking to us to just treat each other with respect, kindness and love, not really a lot to ask for.

I heard a quote years ago, I don't recall who said it, but I think of it often, it went along the lines of, "live your life believing in God. Live everyday to try and make this a better place for everyone, treat all people with kindness. If you've done this and you get to the end of your days and there is no God, you'll still have made this a better place just by living in it, and if He's there, He'll be waiting for you to welcome you home.” 

Interesting topic.

Thanks to everybody who's contributed to it.

Ed

I agree with you wholeheartedly...it's a shame that so many organized religions actually run folks away by being pushy instead of letting one worship in their own way.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »

I agree with you wholeheartedly...it's a shame that so many organized religions actually run folks away by being pushy instead of letting one worship in their own way.

GOD is everything, everywhere, always and forever

Religion is a drag.

harleydiva

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:39 PM »

GOD is everything, everywhere, always and forever

Religion is a drag.

I couldn't have said it better myself, and I think that is what the majority of us are trying to get across.   :)

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »

(Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 NIV) Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labour under the sun during the few days of life God has given him--for this is his lot. {19} Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God. {20} He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

Big B...

You have more roads than you can ride in a lifetime...two cool rides to put on the road...great friends and family...a changed heart...and a sound mind.

Just thank God and ride!!!
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2007, 06:40:28 PM »

What happened the good old sex drugs and rock n roll? :drink:
Ridin Legend

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2007, 08:54:53 PM »

yea baby!!! let party :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :party2: :party2: :party2: :drummer: :drummer:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2007, 08:56:32 PM »

yea baby!!! let party :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :party2: :party2: :party2: :drummer: :drummer:
Not sure I could live thru that again. :nervous: But it sure was fun when I was younger. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »

Yep...still like them also.

Rock and Roll...you bet!
Sex with my wife still great after 21 years!
A drink when I feel like it...it ok!!!

Or were you talking about something else?
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2007, 07:12:23 AM »

Yep...still like them also.

Rock and Roll...you bet!
Sex with my wife still great after 21 years!
A drink when I feel like it...it ok!!!

Or were you talking about something else?

I dont mind how you do it as long as you still do it :drink:
After all we all should enjoy life and i guess everyone here loves doing that.At the end of the day i know no better way than spending time on my fatboy. :drink:
Ridin Legend

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2007, 07:13:21 AM »

Pass it on the left hand side eagle :drink:
Ridin Legend
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.