Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Gauge condensation  (Read 8265 times)

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Gauge condensation
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »

2015 CVO limited. Anybody else getting moisture in their gauges? Both my speedo and tach are affected.
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Gauge condensation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

Common known issue/problem. Did a search on "condensation" and came back w/116 pages of hits w/three of those hits on the first page being...

Fogging Gauges

Condensation

Rainforest in my Tach

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »

I haven't had that issue.  But i haven't gotten caught in the rain, kept the bike outside overnight etc.  So my bike has had a dry, garage environment.

I did have what looked like a oily substance on the inside of the glass of the speedo gauge, and that was changed under warranty.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »

I haven't had that issue.  But i haven't gotten caught in the rain, kept the bike outside overnight etc.  So my bike has had a dry, garage environment.

I did have what looked like a oily substance on the inside of the glass of the speedo gauge, and that was changed under warranty.
It has been my experience it can occur if you take your bike from a cool dry (inside) outside to a high humid environment. The change in temps/humidity can cause it to happen... in all (my) cases it soon disappears.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »

Snakepit my 2016 is having both gauges replaced under warranty due to delaminating of the high quality off shore plastic lenses (LOL).  It gives the same appearance as water condensation on the inside of the lenses.  This is another issue there is substantial comments on this form.

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »

Snakepit my 2016 is having both gauges replaced under warranty due to delaminating of the high quality off shore plastic lenses (LOL).  It gives the same appearance as water condensation on the inside of the lenses.  This is another issue there is substantial comments on this form.
interesting...I'll mention that as well at dealership
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »

When I was the proud owner of a 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide I had gauge condensation in the volt gauge only. Dealer insisted it was normal at which time I requested they replace the other gauges (no condensation) since they must have been defective. That finally got me my new volt gauge.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »

When I was the proud owner of a 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide I had gauge condensation in the volt gauge only. Dealer insisted it was normal at which time I requested they replace the other gauges (no condensation) since they must have been defective. That finally got me my new volt gauge.
:ROFLOL:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gfs3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »

I have had this same problem with the '14 Limited and my '15 CVO Limited.  I had them replaced under warranty on the '14 and the new gauges did the same thing in less than 3,000 miles.  I wrote HD Customer Service a few weeks ago explaining the problem in detail.  Yesterday 9/9 I got a phone call from a Harley Rep. and they issued me a case number to provide to my Dealer when I get them replaced on my CVO.  The dealer should return the defective gauges to Harley for them to analyze and hopefully find a solution to the problem.  It will probably be a few weeks before I take it in to get them replaced as I have a trip coming up soon and will wait until I get back to get them replaced.  I did mention to the Rep. That I would like to know what they determine to be the problem and I emphasized to them that it isn't a moisture problem but a breakdown of possibly a coating on the inside of the glass or maybe oil or a lubricant used in the mechanism of the gauges.  I will post a follow up afterwards and let everybody know what HD determined to be the problem.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

What did HD ever do about this?  I just noticed the condensation issue on the speedometer side of my 15 FLTRUSE.

Wondering if this has ever been addressed with a fix and/or updated part.   I''m concerned that moisture in the gauge will cause some long term issues.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »

What did HD ever do about this?  I just noticed the condensation issue on the speedometer side of my 15 FLTRUSE.

Wondering if this has ever been addressed with a fix and/or updated part.   I''m concerned that moisture in the gauge will cause some long term issues.

HD has considered this issue  each and every year for at least 30 years I'm aware.  Obviously each year they've decided that condensation and "internal  lens cleansing" must be a good thing; because the gauges just keep doing it.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »

My 2017 CVO Limited has some sort of "schmutz" on the inside glass of the both the speedometer and the tach (I just bought the bike in June and it now has about 4,000 miles).  More noticeable in direct sun.  Doesn't seem to get any better or worse, but it is enough that it bugs the hell out of me....looks like someone forgot to clean the glass before assembly.
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Warranty.  They replaced mine.  3 members of my riding group with 2017 Ultra's are same way and awaiting replacement under warranty but backordered.  Been ongoing issue for years.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »

No kidding. I've had this happen on most Harley's I've owned at one point or another, lol!
HD has considered this issue  each and every year for at least 30 years I'm aware.  Obviously each year they've decided that condensation and "internal  lens cleansing" must be a good thing; because the gauges just keep doing it.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »

There is a valid reason for things like headlights, brake lights, and turn signals to not be sealed air tight, and it has to do with the large difference in working temperatures those parts experience due to the heat of the bulbs.  There is no such requirement for gauges, but Harley's gauges have never been sealed as far back as I can remember.  You have to realize that Harley probably pays less than ten bucks for the complete set of gauges, and you don't get sealed gauges for what they pay.  They've gotten away with blowing people off over this common customer complaint for decades, people keep accepting the BS and keep buying the product so obviously it's not a problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »

Had mine replaced in June on my 2016 SESG, they told me it could happen again, I said I would let them so they could order me another set, also they tried to give me some bs that they couldn't replace them unless it restricted the view, I just laughed at them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »

Speedometer was replaced under warranty on my 17 CVO for the steaks on the inside of it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Gfs3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »

Here is a follow up of the post I submitted last year.  I am on my THIRD Speedo/Tachometer on my '15 CVO Limited.  I waited until my 2 year warranty was near and the dealer installed another replacement.  Well, to sum it up the last replacement gauge only went about 3 weeks and less than 1,000 miles and guess what, it is worse than the last one.
I did write HD Customer Service about my discontent with the gauges and they contacted me a few days later.  I explained to the Rep. (Matt) that I didn't bother top go back to the dealer again because I couldn't see having them replace the gauges with another DEFECTIVE part.  I asked the rep. what was HD going to do about it?  He did agree that it is a problem and as of now they don't have it resolved.  I indicated that I am not satisfied with that & asked what is the Motor Company going to do for ME as this has been a problem that they have not corrected in the 4 years (going on 5) that the Rushmore bikes have built.  He indicated that they have my Case File on Record and I told him that I expected them to be replaced again when they get the problem rectified and I surely did not expect for me to have to pay for it, he seemed to agree with my comment so we'll see how that shakes out down the road.  I RECOMMEND that everyone that is having the streaking problem to contact HD Customer Service by sending a letter and request a "Follow Up" call from them concerning this problem.  I have seen it on the 2017's and the new 2018's as well.  You would think that it would not take this long to fix a known problem.  My Dealership told me that they replace several of them every week.  Please Contact HD and let them know they need to get this fixed and that you want to be taken care of and not ignored on this matter.  I did add some sarcasm too, I told him that my friends that ride "Goldwings" don't have this problem and that I will not buy another Harley until they get this issue fixed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:17:48 PM by Gfs3 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

Here is a follow up of the post I submitted last year.  I am on my THIRD Speedo/Tachometer on my '15 CVO Limited.  I waited until my 2 year warranty was near and the dealer installed another replacement.  Well, to sum it up the last replacement gauge only went about 3 weeks and less than 1,000 miles and guess what, it is worse than the last one.
I did write HD Customer Service about my discontent with the gauges and they contacted me a few days later.  I explained to the Rep. (Matt) that I didn't bother top go back to the dealer again because I couldn't see having them replace the gauges with another DEFECTIVE part.  I asked the rep. what was HD going to do about it?  He did agree that it is a problem and as of now they don't have it resolved.  I indicated that I am not satisfied with that & asked what is the Motor Company going to do for ME as this has been a problem that they have not corrected in the 4 years (going on 5) that the Rushmore bikes have built.  He indicated that they have my Case File on Record and I told him that I expected them to be replaced again when they get the problem rectified and I surely did not expect for me to have to pay for it, he seemed to agree with my comment so we'll see how that shakes out down the road.  I RECOMMEND that everyone that is having the streaking problem to contact HD Customer Service by sending a letter and request a "Follow Up" call from them concerning this problem.  I have seen it on the 2017's and the new 2018's as well.  You would think that it would not take this long to fix a known problem.  My Dealership told me that they replace several of them every week.  Please Contact HD and let them know they need to get this fixed and that you want to be taken care of and not ignored on this matter.  I did add some sarcasm too, I told him that my friends that ride "Goldwings" don't have this problem and that I will not buy another Harley until they get this issue fixed.

It's been a problem from 2014 through current, and yes you're right, it shouldn't take anywhere near this long to find the root cause and fix it in production.  Once again, problems don't get fixed unless and until the right people first agree it's a problem and then agree to assign resources to create a fix, test and verify the fix, and then put it into production.  The fact that this particular problem hasn't been fixed since early in the 2014 model year (four years and counting) should tell you how much Harley management cares about fixing known problems.

Btw, all the verbal assurances on the phone mean nothing.  Get any such assurances in writing.  No matter what this Matt says, he ultimately won't be the person deciding later on whether or not to replace out-of-warranty parts at no cost to the customers.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »

I don't think they have learned anything and obviously don't care.  My wife's 2018 Heritage ST has the same issue with the large centre mount display!!!

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • A Harley isn't just for Christmas, it's for LIFE!

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »

I had the gauges on mine (2014) replaced twice under warranty - each time the problem immediately reappeared. I gave up then.

However, it's NOT condensation.  Dealership took one of my sets apart to see.  The inside of the glass has a coating of an oily substance, (presumably to prevent (!) condensation like the pre-Rushedmore bikes always had), and it's that that gets runs.

Interestingly I was in my dealer's workshop yesterday, and they were busy replacing a set on a 2017 FLHTKSE, which made me laugh.  Discussing it with the tech, he says that they've had the usual "Harley knows of the problem, and is working on a fix" - which they seem to say about everything, replacing the older "They all do that, sir."

The problem can't be easily self-fixed either - the gauge rims are crimped on, and you have to pretty much destroy them to remove them, otherwise you could clean the gunk off the glass and solve it.
'14 FLHTKSE
'94 Ford Escort Cosworth, 320BHP & just 19,000 miles, owned since new
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »

I had the instrument cluster replaced for condensation on my 2015 cvosg twice, it came back again on the third set.  I traded the bike in for a 2017 cvosg, Just had the instrument cluster replaced for the same issue on my new bike. Some things never change. For some reason I cannot reset the B trip odometer. Anyone experience this? I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

Gfs3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »

I believe that I have your answer to the problem.  If you will notice, the "B" Trip indicator actually counts down from I believe 30 miles when the gages are replaced.  After it completes the countdown to Zero you will be able to use it as always.  Once this countdown is completed, your vehicle mileage will lock into the speedo and can not be used on another vehicle.  The "A" functions normal during this time.  I've had 4 replaced on 2 different bikes and they all did the same as yours is doing.

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »

Thanks gfs3. when I check the B trip it is counting down.
V&H Power Dual Header
PV 2

ultrarider123

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »

I believe that I have your answer to the problem.  If you will notice, the "B" Trip indicator actually counts down from I believe 30 miles when the gages are replaced.  After it completes the countdown to Zero you will be able to use it as always.  Once this countdown is completed, your vehicle mileage will lock into the speedo and can not be used on another vehicle.  The "A" functions normal during this time.  I've had 4 replaced on 2 different bikes and they all did the same as yours is doing.

That is correct, sir.  I thought something was funny on mine that was just replaced under warranty back in April.  B was counting backward.  Called service guy who verified yes, it's "marrying" to my bike.  Whodathunk you just had to go 30 miles to get married.... ;D

UUNetBill

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide, Gunship Gray
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »

The least they could do is mount little tiny wiper blades on the gauge needles so they’d at least stay clear enough to read...
2018 CVO RG
2013 Street Glide (gone)
2013 Street Bob (gone)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »

Don't need no stinkin' gauges!  Tell Harley to just give you a rebate for the cost of the gauge package (you'll be surprised how little that would be), and buy some fake gauge faces you can glue on to cover up the drips and runs.

Obviously the folks at Harley are even dumber than I thought.  Same problem since the Rushmore launch, no fix, and they let dealers keep changing the crap out under warranty multiple times.  Talk about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

Jerry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »

Obviously the folks at Harley are even dumber than I thought.

C'mon Jerry.  You know it's not possible they could be dumber than you thought they were.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »

my work order showed the instrument cluster was $299.
V&H Power Dual Header
PV 2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »

That's the retail price at the dealer level.  Now go find the price Harley pays the supplier; I guarantee you it is a small fraction of that $299.  Vehicle manufacturers typically mark up replacement and repair part prices by several multiples of 100%.

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »

C'mon Jerry.  You know it's not possible they could be dumber than you thought they were.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

;D   Every time people try to convince me Harley management is finally trying to change and I start to think perhaps something really will improve, they find ways to dash what little optimism I've managed to generate.  I'm not sure who the dummies really are though, Harley management or the consumers.  Perhaps it's a tie?

Jerry ;)

ultrarider123

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »

I'm assuming they replaced this on your 2017 under warranty, correct?  Interesting that the work order showed any pricing for warranty work.  I've got a stack of warranty work orders from current and previous bikes and it doesn't show any costs for warranty (parts or labor).  I've got a couple that had both warranty and maintenance with the maintenance showing the price, nothing on the warranty stuff except "so and so" repaired, warranty.

I am NOT questioning your quote because I would prefer to know the costs I "saved" for having the warranty work performed.  Just saying I've not had that experience.

Hopefully your new gauge(s) will not sweat.  I've not had any issues since they replaced mine (for sweating and just quit working).....so far anyway..... :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:56:03 AM by Haird »

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »

Yes, It was done under warranty.I picked up my bike after the service department had closed for the day, I asked the parts guy to print out my work order. He said the service dept. had not closed out the work order yet, but I wanted a copy. I don't think he was supposed to give me the copy he gave me because it showed all the parts prices and no labor charges. The prices seemed low to me as my bike was also in for the oil pump sumping issue. They installed a new oil pump, cylinders and pistons ect. under warranty also. By the way, after less than a week the new speedometer is beginning to get the same oily streaks on the inside of the glass. Can't make this s...it up. Thats five for me,(3 on my 2015 and 2 on my current 2017) either I have very bad luck or there are a lot more people who have this issue and just don't notice it or don't care. 
V&H Power Dual Header
PV 2

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »

Thats five for me,(3 on my 2015 and 2 on my current 2017) 
Still not as many engines as some people have had...in one bike.   :(

No excuse for this $h!t.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.