Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deck height check  (Read 3082 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Deck height check
« on: February 05, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »

Got the bike tore down today in prep for a 117 top end. Question is can the cylinders be installed without the o-rings to check deck height? I am assuming the o-rings act only as seals and the actual contact surface is between the case and the cylinders.

Thanks
David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

Re: Deck height check
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »

Found what I was looking for.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »

David,
'Glad to see you're finally pulling the trigger :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »

Thanks Ed.

Figured I just as well get to it. I am hearing right now from the wife though....been to cool to get out much and now that it.is scattered out tomorrow is supposed to be 75-80. Go figure.

Got happy tonight with the reading on the deck.  .008 in the hole on the back and .010 on the front. Now trying to find a machine shop that will cut them for me.

Thank you for the guidance John

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

Thanks Ed.

Figured I just as well get to it. I am hearing right now from the wife though....been to cool to get out much and now that it.is scattered out tomorrow is supposed to be 75-80. Go figure.

Got happy tonight with the reading on the deck.  .008 in the hole on the back and .010 on the front. Now trying to find a machine shop that will cut them for me.

Thank you for the guidance John

I am using Eric @ https://www.automotivemachine.com/ He's moving in March and don't know what his workload is now, or where he is in the process.  I am picking my stuff up Wed.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

I am using Eric @ https://www.automotivemachine.com/ He's moving in March and don't know what his workload is now, or where he is in the process.  I am picking my stuff up Wed.

Thank you Texas.
I think I have found a shop in Oklahoma City. Kirby  (prodrag on here) give me the name of a guy in OKC that he felt was more than capable of doing the cylinders. Howard Wiggins is the guys name, so I will give him a call tomorrow and see what the feeling are and what his schedule is like. Thank you for the reply

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »

Thank you Texas.
I think I have found a shop in Oklahoma City. Kirby  (prodrag on here) give me the name of a guy in OKC that he felt was more than capable of doing the cylinders. Howard Wiggins is the guys name, so I will give him a call tomorrow and see what the feeling are and what his schedule is like. Thank you for the reply

Good deal, Yes, I forgot about Kirby and yes, It will be right!... Hoping I get my stuff back this week..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »

Old post but same question? Install the base o ring? What about rings on piston? Or just sit it together without c clips and all?
Will

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »

Old post but same question? Install the base o ring? What about rings on piston? Or just sit it together without c clips and all?

Done mine without the base o ring. It was suggested to not use the rings, but to wrap a layer or 2 of the blue painters around the piston at the ring land to somewhat stabilize the piston, and take your measurements directly above the wrist pin on both the primary side and the transmission side and if different between the sides average them together. Repeat a couple times to verify all your numbers before you say this is it. If your using the 117 kit and have cut the heads be sure and check your valve to piston clearance. Some motors are hitting at TDC

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »

Good idea. Thanks.
Will

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.