Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Help me decide please!  (Read 6309 times)

2017 CVO STREET GLIDE

• Believe and succeed!
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Stage IV
Help me decide please!
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:11:32 AM »

Gonna get a new CVO Street Glide and want to know if getting the 117 stage 4 kit that now has the heads is a good choice? My plan is to get V&H power dauls with high output slip ons and a TTS tuner. The dealer said I would still get my 2 year warranty if I did this with the bike purchase. I am gonna be traveling with this bike more then around town. Gave up dirt track racing for this new hobby so I'm a power hungry type. All the help is appreciated either way. Warranty is not my concern the usability of this second addition Stage 4 kit is though. :bananarock:
Thanks Allot
Bill
🤘🏻🤙🏻🤘🏻🤙🏻🤘🏻🤙🏻🤘🏻🤙🏻🤘🏻

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
Re: Help me decide please!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »

For the money they want for that kit plus installation and since warranty is of no concern.
Take that money to one of the independent shops  (you will get plenty of references from the folks here on this site)and let them do their thing. I am sure you will end up with a lot more HP and TQ than what the stage4 kit would give you for the same or less money.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:53:50 AM by LC110 »
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

Gonna get a new CVO Street Glide and want to know if getting the 117 stage 4 kit that now has the heads is a good choice? My plan is to get V&H power dauls with high output slip ons and a TTS tuner. The dealer said I would still get my 2 year warranty if I did this with the bike purchase. I am gonna be traveling with this bike more then around town. Gave up dirt track racing for this new hobby so I'm a power hungry type. All the help is appreciated either way. Warranty is not my concern the usability of this second addition Stage 4 kit is though. :bananarock:
Thanks Allo
Bill

Nothing runs more efficient than a properly tuned stocker  8)
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:48:58 PM »

I have to question how a dealer will tell you your warranty is OK if using a aftermarket equipment.  but regardless if your looking at the HD kits, look at the power curve of the Stage 3 vs Stage 4.  Yes there is More HP to the Stage 4 but, HP and TQ come on much later in the curve with the Stage 4 kit.  Whats your ride style, do you need a better TQ curve at lower rpm or more HP at higher rpm..      The additional money for Stage 4 in my opinion is not worth the gain.
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »

I would do a Stage III 117 build before I would a Stage IV 117.  I like the toque curve of it better, and that is the RPM I ride, the stage IV is a higher rpm motor.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »

I would do a Stage III 117 build before I would a Stage IV 117.  I like the toque curve of it better, and that is the RPM I ride, the stage IV is a higher rpm motor.

I agree 100%.  Low end torque is way too much fun. IMHO.   I could be wrong. I was once.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

not tuned the M8 version of the HO muffler but I bet its just like the older version and  they are not great , too many better choices,  Street cannons yes I said that it has been proven time and time again. I feel too many people get caught up in what it looks like or how deep or loud it is.. That just silly but not my money so end of the day I tune it and when they feel that it lacks low end its on them not me .

The list of better mufflers is easy crushers at this point it looks like the trident is the only version they will be making  or the maverick line up , Rush , S&S
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

SemperFi64

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »

Pulled the trigger on the Stage IV on the 21 of the month, will try to retrieve it tomorrow 27th.  Weather permitting. Not know if I can get pic here. Will try

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »

I would recheck on the warranty and be crystal clear on what they mean.  For me, when I did my upgrade on my 2010 the dealer said I would still get the 2 year warranty.  But later if found out that it was a warranty from his dealership and not Harley.   This makes a big difference if you do a lot of touring and need warranty service from another dealer.

Good luck with your new bike!

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »

I just had a conversation with a very good friend who works for corporate harley in this area.

As I understand it you are only covered by the factory warranty if you do the upgrades when you buy the bike. You can only use the new SE harley tuner, pipes and air cleaner or the warranty is void.

Any enhancements using the TTS and other after market enhancements will run the risk of voiding the factory warranty.

We had a interesting debate over beers as to whether Harley can now tell if the Harley ECU has been messed with like we all know the TTS can do (back up the factory maps and load out the enhanced maps). He says they can and I am not so sure what they can look at to tell.

Steve at Fullsac or GMR may know but I think Harley can't tell. 

In any event, if you are traveling and run into a issue that is warrantable and have enhancements installed, you may be in the s..t. Also, once they flag your bike it's permanent.

We have discussed this issue in years past but it used to be that approximately 5% of Harley riders would mess with their motors and either run the risk of losing their warranty or write it off as part of the cost of pushing the performance envelope. 

I bring this up because in my opinion I think the new numbers may reflect that less than 2.5% of current buyers are/would be willing to risk their warranty to improve performance with aftermarket parts and software upgrades. 

It is important to point out that any change in the ECU factory loaded parematers will void the warranty if it isn't done by Harley.

I am hoping this will all go away with the new administration but........we'll see.

Regards

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:08:46 PM by CVOStreetglide »

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »

I have a 2015 did all sorts a chit to it nothing major, pipes, race tuner etc have had a couple issue with the motor fixed under full warranty...... I don't believe any of the line its not covered just the dealership trying to get additional profit dollars.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 10:21:01 PM »

knock on wood..

for thoughts - the consent decree is for 17 and later bikes - so telling a guy with a 17 bike its all good from your experience on a 15 bike - is really disingenuous.

i tell everybody i know who asks me - its your bike do whatever you want to it - just don't expect or plan for warranty service, nor esp.. assume you will pay full price for everything and as long as thats ok with your pocketbook go for it - and please post dyno sheets so we can see what happened.

to

HDMIKETN64

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »

I would recheck on the warranty and be crystal clear on what they mean.  For me, when I did my upgrade on my 2010 the dealer said I would still get the 2 year warranty.  But later if found out that it was a warranty from his dealership and not Harley.   This makes a big difference if you do a lot of touring and need warranty service from another dealer.

Good luck with your new bike!

I agree with Cat Eye on this. While your local dealer may well honor your warranty (as they should since they benefitted by selling and building your Stage IV), other dealers many not do so. When I built my Stage IV 2015 RGS, my dealer was very honest with me - saying other dealers were not required to honor the factory warranty - or the extended five year warranty I purchased. I never had a problem, but this all happened before the H-D/EPA settlement. I'm sure they're even more strict now.
Michael Noirot
Clarksville, TN

2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
2015 Road Glide Special - Stage IV

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:48:26 AM »

Thanks Allot
Bill

If warranty is of no concern, do not waste your money on a dealer installed stage IV kit.
Low end TQ is less than stock, its complete joke.

My .02 cents on a good bang for the buck Touring upgrade is as follows.

Suburban Speed 124" Mahle piston kit. .030 head gask.
Tman 226 or TTS 200 cam (when it becomes available)
5.5 injectors, Valve spring kit. (Stock heads and TB are retained)
Good exhaust and mufflers, (mine)
Good AC, the stock Ventilator is junk.
TTS tuner.
You will need a clutch upgrade to handle the low end TQ. Because this combination of parts
will stomp the HD kit by 25 Ft pounds at 2000 RPM.

Sorry if your one of the Guys who payed good money on a dealer installed Stage IV kit.
You were mugged and robbed in the low end TQ department.

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:58:36 AM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »

Steve: is this your final answer?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »

Steve: is this your final answer?

Unless they come out with a Mono shock 117 CVO next week, the answer is still the same. It's all crap! lol..

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »

have a friend that had the exact same issue. motor went out in Va & he is from Ok. dealer said to load it up & return to them. local dealer here couldn't touch it under warranty. also, dealer in morristown Tn. told 4 of us that if you brought your bike in for work & there tech's see "ANYTHING" not stock ( and referred to exhaust mufflers, air box & breather) they would enter the notes in the data system for the MOCO to see & review. we told him their business sucked & was disgusting. SO, be careful as to what the stealer tells you about warranty. it may not be covered if you are out on theroad
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.