Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Charging fault  (Read 5781 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Charging fault
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »

UP DATE #2

Well i got the regulator rectifier out and did a diode and olm test.
Diode test on all 3 pins was  584 from stator input side to positive output side of rectifier, no reading no reversing the pin test, equaling the diodes too being good, no fault.  In the next pic.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »

On the olms test through the diodes l got a resistance reading of 2.86 on all 3 pins and one (1) olm reading on reversing the test.
From what I understand the numbers on both test diodes and olms test are numbers within a good working regulator rectifier.
Also did a check on the stator and found no fault there either. Also tested the power supply from rectifier to maxi fuse that was good too.
I'm at a bit of a loss now! Seeing as all test are looking good, I'm hesitant on forking out for a regulator if it's not required.
Don't want to be like a stealer dealer change this and that and the problem mite go away.
One thing I did find (don't know if it's related or not) l found a harness plug under the seat at the bottom of the tank that runs up the center of the tank, l believe is ignition 4 pin plug in, two of the pins with green oxidisation on two of the pins. Cleaned them up and gave the plug a shot of ACF 50 maybe that was It?  I haven't found the relationship between the 4 wires.
So I'm going to get it all back together tomorrow go for a ride and see what happens.
I just can't bring myself to pay out for a regulator rectifier that test out to be in working order and meets the functioning operation numbers. Or is there some sort of hidden malfunction with these regulators?? Like getting too hot and shutting down till it cools???
Forgot to mention, the only thing left to do when it's back together is test the charge output to battery once it's running.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:04:55 PM by longlast »

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 06:06:28 PM »

If it was my bike I would just put the new regulator on and be done with it. JMHO

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

On the olms test through the diodes

For whatever it might be worth the come-and-go charge and lack-of-charge description you shared is the tell-tale behavior for a regulator.  With that I would have (out of the force of habit and an abundance of caution) checked my cable connections and quickly done the ohm and AC power checks on a stator; then I'd go grab the replacement regulator I'd pretty well known I was going to need all along.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »

For whatever it might be worth the come-and-go charge and lack-of-charge description you shared is the tell-tale behavior for a regulator.  With that I would have (out of the force of habit and an abundance of caution) checked my cable connections and quickly done the ohm and AC power checks on a stator; then I'd go grab the replacement regulator I'd pretty well known I was going to need all along.

OK there Don, that small phrase  there in bold about sums it up. I think I've got myself cought up in my head from experience  working with circuit boards in my job that they work or they don't, and I'm comparing the regulator in the same way.
On your long term experience (against my zero term experience) that these regulators can behave erratic that's good enough for me.
About the statement I made on carrying a new one with me and​ me doing a road side repair is out the window now l know the involvement of changing one that's not going to happen. I think I will carry the one l replace for a bit just incase (it wouldn't surprise me one bit that two weeks down the road the new one was to pack it in) and let the road side break downs service change it that l pay my insurance for.
Thanks Don, Jerry and you Howard for the helpful information. Till next time ( which I'm sure there will be) ride safe!    BTW. Haha! I guess you pick up on my (olm) for (ohm) wasn't really trying to confuse you  ;D

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »

If it was my bike I would just put the new regulator on and be done with it. JMHO

Your JMHO is appreciated I know what you mean but I'm like a bog with a bone. I gotsta chew on it to get too the marrow of the problem and know why, how and where accordingly. That's just me!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »

Your JMHO is appreciated I know what you mean but I'm like a bog with a bone. I gotsta chew on it to get too the marrow of the problem and know why, how and where accordingly. That's just me!

;D    Not just you, there are still a few of us around.  I think these days more and more people either don't have the patience to do the diagnostics, or don't know how, so they just throw parts at problems until they hopefully fix them.  In this case, since you're dealing with an intermittent problem, once you determine all the basics (connections, gauge readings, etc.) are good, then it's appropriate to use logic and experience to narrow down the possibilities and change the most likely part. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »

;D    Not just you, there are still a few of us around.  I think these days more and more people either don't have the patience to do the diagnostics, or don't know how, so they just throw parts at problems until they hopefully fix them.  In this case, since you're dealing with an intermittent problem, once you determine all the basics (connections, gauge readings, etc.) are good, then it's appropriate to use logic and experience to narrow down the possibilities and change the most likely part. 

Jerry

That's good to know Jerry,  some times l think by asking,.. Why,... That I'm questioning the advice being given but that's not it at all. Like I said, I got/like to know and understand what the cause of the problem is and it's remedy .
Just knowing that it's​ gas spark bang and roll just don't do it for me. I'm learning more and more hopefully at some point I'll be in the position to help someone here with my two bits worth with there ride. Cheers guys :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Charging fault Update!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »

UPDATE!

Got the new regulator and installed.     Here's at idle charge

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »

Here's at 3k rpm.         Hope all is good now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.