Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailer Tongue Hitch Question  (Read 3683 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Trailer Tongue Hitch Question
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »

Okay, I have my Bushtec hidden hitch installed and my 1-7/8" ball mounted...  :2vrolijk_21:

But I've got the standard hard mounted ball hitch on my trailer tongue.  I've seen drawings and ads for the swivel hitches that allow for more twist between the bike and the trailer.

Who's running standard, non-swivel, trailer tongues?

I realize that if I went down, there's no way that the standard non-swivel tongue hitch not put a tremendous bind on the tongue and bike mounted hitch.

Just wondering what the general consensus on standard tongue hitches versus the swivel (rotating) kits out there.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Trailer Tongue Hitch Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »

Dan I can't speak for others but I've been accused a time or two of being an aggressive rider.  You've probably seen some of the photos that I've posted where the bike is leaned over to the point the floor board is dragging but the trailer is upright.  I don't think that would work well (and even if it did, would put a hell of a lot of stress on the ball itself) with a rigid mount ball without some kind of swivel.

The whole thing is, you might not find out where your limit lean is until it's to late.  Jusayinzall
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »

Just a thought.....you may be able to buy the tongue from Bushtec with the heim joint already installed and incorporate it to your trailer.  There is a lot to be said for those heim joints wether it's a 5 ton trailer being pulled with a 6 by (Marine Corps days) or a lightweight Bushtec being pulled by a motorcycle.  Any kind of trailer would benefit from the heim joint and captured ball vs. the standard rigid ball.  And.....the bonus is that you don't have the "slop" in the captured ball that you have in the standard rigid ball.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »

Just a thought.....you may be able to buy the tongue from Bushtec with the heim joint already installed and incorporate it to your trailer.  There is a lot to be said for those heim joints wether it's a 5 ton trailer being pulled with a 6 by (Marine Corps days) or a lightweight Bushtec being pulled by a motorcycle.  Any kind of trailer would benefit from the heim joint and captured ball vs. the standard rigid ball.  And.....the bonus is that you don't have the "slop" in the captured ball that you have in the standard rigid ball.  :2vrolijk_21:

I appreciate you insight and experience on this matter.

Even a heim joint will have limits.  So in the case of the Bushtec, "IF" you went down, it would hit its limits and bind, correct?

Do you have any close up pics of the Bushtec heim joint attached and un-attached?  Just curious.

With the Bushtec heim joint hitch, do you have to use wrenches to connect/disconnect the trailer?

Again, being a newbe to trailers, I greatly appreciate letting me ask some probably common knowledge questions.  I look forward to using it on the way to ES.

Just one last question, I've been told that tongue weight is in the 50 to 60 lbs range.  Is this a good rule of thumb?  More? Less?

Thanks again...  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »

Dan,

The American Eagle trailer I got last year has that swivel adapter on it.  I've used the Bushtec hitch that was already on the bike but with a newly purchased ball rather than pin insert for the hitch.  The swivel piece on the trailer works great.  Go for it.

Don

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »

Dan,

I also have 1 on my American Legend Trailer.

It works great! Worth the money!

Danner
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »

I have a 1 7/8 ball hitch and coupler. I don't use a swivel adapter and it works fine, just make sure the coupler nut is tight and use loctite. It even survived the wreck on I 40 last year.  :P
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

Bushtec trailer Heim joint is not a fixed joint relying just on the swivel of the ball.  The entire Heim joint is set up to swivel 360 degrees.  In essence you could pull your bushtec on its top not for long though.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »

I once knew of a guy that had veered to the right and his trailer ended up flipping upside down on its top he didn't drop the bike so he figured the swivel hitch saved him on that occasion. I still don't know how he kept the bike up. Only damage was to the top of the trailer so I would call him lucky.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

I once knew of a guy that had veered to the right and his trailer ended up flipping upside down on its top he didn't drop the bike so he figured the swivel hitch saved him on that occasion. I still don't know how he kept the bike up. Only damage was to the top of the trailer so I would call him lucky.

I would also call him very lucky...

Like Mikey said, he went down with his HF trailer last May on his way to ES and didn't tip the trailer.  He was/is running a NON swivel standard 1-7/8" ball hitch.  So as long as I keep the shiny side up, I don't think I'll be doing any knee scraping with the wife and trailer hooked up.  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.