Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harley Davidson wants to take over Ducati  (Read 4013 times)

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

Re: Harley Davidson wants to take over Ducati
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »

Interesting. More telling is that BMW want's no part of it.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »

Maybe it will be a reenactment of the Battle of Buell Run...

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »

Buell.  MV Augusta.  Harley has done soooo well with its forays in to sport or other bikes types before.  Hell, they even sold boats a bunch of years ago.  That didn't float either.

Mother Harley can barely manage its own niche barely satisfactorily.  It's not like they really need to split their focus again.....

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »

Maybe it will be a reenactment of the Battle of Buell Run...

Or as they say in the south, the battle of "Mans asses". You know,...for saddle comfort.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »

Buell.  MV Augusta.  Harley has done soooo well with its forays in to sport or other bikes types before.  Hell, they even sold boats a bunch of years ago.  That didn't float either.

Mother Harley can barely manage its own niche barely satisfactorily.  It's not like they really need to split their focus again.....

Well, they've been heading towards AMF v2 for some time now... Maybe they should by a company that makes nice walking shoes while they're at it.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »

Well, they've been heading towards AMF v2 for some time now... Maybe they should by a company that makes nice walking shoes while they're at it.

I was thinking that and walkers too with little tennis balls on the back legs and flames on the sides.  Heaven knows with the average age of the Harley rider this will be their next big market.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »

I was thinking that and walkers too with little tennis balls on the back legs and flames on the sides.  Heaven knows with the average age of the Harley rider this will be their next big market.

And the gold carts again! You know to get around those giant retirement complexes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »

Oh good grief; what a snowball that could start.  That's only the tip of the market!

HarleyWorld:  The Retirement Village for Those Who Previously Dreamed They Were BadAss.

See "Sportster Town" for those seeking higher density and less expensive senior accommodations while still looking forward to every Thursday night's walker races and the weekly (bus) ride to Cracker Barrel!"  For those still unsure of their upcoming status we highly suggest "Dyna-ville."  We were never quite sure what to make of this one either!

If you've still got both hips and eat before 4:00 PM on weekdays you should definitely consider our "Softail Community."  You can relax a little, take advantage of the OTB in our Screamin Eagle Rec Center, swim, walk the "Twin Cam Trail" and wear your leathers every Tuesday night on the "Springer Outing" to Golden Corral!

If retirement in comfort while seeing the sites is your goal definitely check out our "Touring RV Park."  Short term or long term rental spaces available.  All hook ups.  All synthetic fluids for any tanks.  Enjoy the "Road King Trail" for your evening post hip replacement PT walks and see America's Highways with nightly showings of such greats as "On Any Sunday," "Easy Rider," "The Motorcycle Diaries" and anything by Steve McQueen nightly in the Tour Guide Lounge and Pavilion (Screamin' Eagle appetizers extra).

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:53:11 PM »

I understand why WV is selling. That was just a matter of time after exit of CEO. Does not fit with BMW, no great surprise there.

I don't believe HD will buy them, not a good fit. (We are not talking an asset purchase, that would change things)

mark

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »

I can see why BMW isn't interested...they'd be competing with themselves.  Based on their track record, HD always fumbles when stepping into the sport bike market. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »

Harley management needs to learn how to run Harley properly before acquiring another motorcycle company.  And as a person who has always admired Ducati's, I'd hate to see Harley screw that brand up.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »

Harley get your own house in order first.
Bill

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »

Well said.  The old mote and beam analogy from Mathew 7:
3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

G 97

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »

Harley must diversify if it wants to remain relevant.  I honestly think that Harley is serious about letting Ducati operate the way it has been operating. The current CEO of Harley, Matt Levatich was the head guy over seeing the MV Augusta acquisition. I have to believe several lessons were learned during what turned out to be a debacle for Harley. Admitingly, the turn down in the economy didn't play well with the timing of this purchase but looking back its clear to see several critical mistakes were made.

Ducati represents a lot of benefits that quiet simply MV Augusta didn't possess. The most critical being the dealer network. Ducati's current dealer network has been gradually transformed and improved to where it is, in many cases, industry leading. Harley can simply plug and play into this current situation with out even having to do anything with their current dealer network. I don't see Harley inter-mingling these two brands and I see zero likely hood of any dealer crossover like what they did with Buell and to a lessor extent MV.

Harley shutting down Buell and jettisoning MV had much to do with the economic turndown at the time rather than them being mis managed.  Harley's management team is also vastly improved and several prior roadblocks that existed in the past don't exist today.  There is little doubt in my mind that Harley can succeed with this acquisition.  In a lot of ways they have little choice as their core demographic customer continues to age while making fewer purchases.  If the MoCo wants to be viable in the future they must diversify. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:54:21 AM by G 97 »

pvanwagner

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »

This already exists.  Pretty sure you just described the HOG themed cruise.

Oh good grief; what a snowball that could start.  That's only the tip of the market!

HarleyWorld:  The Retirement Village for Those Who Previously Dreamed They Were BadAss.

See "Sportster Town" for those seeking higher density and less expensive senior accommodations while still looking forward to every Thursday night's walker races and the weekly (bus) ride to Cracker Barrel!"  For those still unsure of their upcoming status we highly suggest "Dyna-ville."  We were never quite sure what to make of this one either!

If you've still got both hips and eat before 4:00 PM on weekdays you should definitely consider our "Softail Community."  You can relax a little, take advantage of the OTB in our Screamin Eagle Rec Center, swim, walk the "Twin Cam Trail" and wear your leathers every Tuesday night on the "Springer Outing" to Golden Corral!

If retirement in comfort while seeing the sites is your goal definitely check out our "Touring RV Park."  Short term or long term rental spaces available.  All hook ups.  All synthetic fluids for any tanks.  Enjoy the "Road King Trail" for your evening post hip replacement PT walks and see America's Highways with nightly showings of such greats as "On Any Sunday," "Easy Rider," "The Motorcycle Diaries" and anything by Steve McQueen nightly in the Tour Guide Lounge and Pavilion (Screamin' Eagle appetizers extra).

2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
2012 Softail Slim (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Apple Green / Vivid Black (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Psychedelic Purple / Vivid Black (Sold)
2005 Softail Deluxe (Sold)
2003 Softail Heritage (Sold)
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom (Sold)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »

Will there be a rally every year where we can pay $45 & get a "free" pin and a semi cold spaghetti dinner?   :nixweiss:  If not, probably a deal breaker.  ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »

I couldn't agree more.  I've seen companies go this route before.  They leave you wondering if they're thinking that a new acquisition will somehow magically solve the problems at home.  While I'm pretty sure that isn't the thought process going on at the MoCo, they do have issues that need addressing and adding a new acquisition to the mix could only divert attentions.
I saw this happen in a very detrimental way with the last corporation I worked for.  They had so many problems with the core business but then decided to add a new $800 million buy of a company that was arguably better left to die on its own.  Now they're closing down division after division with major layoffs to keep everything afloat.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »

Harley management needs to learn how to run Harley properly before acquiring another motorcycle company.  And as a person who has always admired Ducati's, I'd hate to see Harley screw that brand up.

Jerry

Perhaps... maybe... Ducati will teach them a thing or 2!

G 97

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Except Ducati is far from a fledgling company and is no where close to dying nor does it need rescuing.   Plus Harley will not be integrating Ducati into any of their existing manufacturing, dealer organization or any other current Harley business entity.   

Ducati will remain a wholey owned subsidiary of Harley.  It will maintain its own identy and operate outside and separate from Harley.  Just as it currently is doing under the ownership of the VW group. 

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »

If I recall correctly, there was a Ducati at our NMITM GTG last month.

Maybe he was trolling to see if we would be a good fit?

I'm wonder how I might look in the those tight Italian leather pants?

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »

Ducati revenue last year was around €700M with a EBIT of 8-9%. Not a great result for a US company but okay for a German owned Italian company considering their investments.

HD is 8-9 times their size in revenue and a little higher EBITDA as well.

Not sure how you know what they plan to do and how they plan to incorpare an aquesition. I assume it's a guess, if you actually work for HD and just shared confidential information you better hope they don't figure out who G 97 is.

Except Ducati is far from a fledgling company and is no where close to dying nor does it need rescuing.   Plus Harley will not be integrating Ducati into any of their existing manufacturing, dealer organization or any other current Harley business entity.   

Ducati will remain a wholey owned subsidiary of Harley.  It will maintain its own identy and operate outside and separate from Harley.  Just as it currently is doing under the ownership of the VW group.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Harley Davidson bidding for Ducati
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »

Reuters reports that long-rumored deal worth $1.67 billion is on the horizon for U.S. and Italian motorcycle makers.
A big shake-up may soon cause some major restructuring in the world of top motorcycle makers. In a new media blast, Reuters, via unnamed sources, confirms as true the long-standing rumors that Harley-Davidson is readying to buy one of the iconic company’s biggest rivals, Italian brand Ducati. If Harley does end up outbidding other interested companies from around the world, like India’s Bajaj Auto, the Ducati deal could be worth $1.67 billion, according to Reuters.

Although Reuters’ new revelations have the global motorcycle world buzzing, the Ducati deal does not seem to be something that is going to close any time soon, and probably not by the end of the year. According Ducati’s parent company, Volkswagon, the Italian motorcycle brand’s decision makers are in no rush and want to wait until they can secure the right buyer. Meanwhile, Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company is expected to place a bid as early as next month.

The delay could be beneficial for Harley-Davidson and provide time for the company to put together its best pitch. However, the company’s decision makers can rest a little easier knowing that some serious competition has already publicly acknowledged that they are bowing out of any potential bidding war. Those companies include Japanese motorcycle makers Honda and Suzuki and Germany’s BMW.

Harley-Davidson - Ducati

Ducati made headlines for a previous sale in 2012, when it was acquired by Audi, the luxury vehicle division of Volkswagon. That deal reportedly cost Volkswagon $1.12 billion.

Tags: buy out, ducati, Harley Davidson

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Harley Davidson bidding for Ducati
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »

HD owned MV Agusta for a few years and really wasn't sure what to do with the company. ended up selling it  - for about what they paid if not at a loss - if I remember correctly. I will give them credit for spending a bunch of cash on new tooling and other factory improvements they made at MV, but HD chose to "cut and run" before the tree was able to bear fruit.

Sad to say I don't think HD knows what to do in the sportbike arena, Buell is a prime example of the lack of commitment and/or knowledge to anything outside their "core" business - which is the heavy weight cruiser/touring motorcycle.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

Re: Harley Davidson bidding for Ducati
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »

And that (MV Augusta) was how many leadership teams ago?  Time changes. HD need to change, their customers are old and dying off.  Look 20 year forward and about 70% of their current customers are dead.

HD owned MV Agusta for a few years and really wasn't sure what to do with the company. ended up selling it  - for about what they paid if not at a loss - if I remember correctly. I will give them credit for spending a bunch of cash on new tooling and other factory improvements they made at MV, but HD chose to "cut and run" before the tree was able to bear fruit.

Sad to say I don't think HD knows what to do in the sportbike arena, Buell is a prime example of the lack of commitment and/or knowledge to anything outside their "core" business - which is the heavy weight cruiser/touring motorcycle.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »

VOLKSWAGEN lacks the Votes to Sell Ducati

With the German company's Labor Unions accounting for half of the board seats and very unenthusiastic about selling DUCATI to harley Davidson or anyone.

So it seems like the deal may not go ahead.

geezerglide
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.