Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: kick stand story on my breakout  (Read 2712 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
kick stand story on my breakout
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:33:55 PM »

i always keep piece of  2/4 board where i park my 2016 breakout, i put the kickstand on it, when i park, so i came in last night park the bike , heard a crash , looked around bike fell into the other bike, come to find out , when that 2016 breakout is not on the the kick stand "on the ground" , it will not lock it position , never had a m/c that did that, moved the board , let the kick stand on the ground rock the bike and its fine, put that board under kick stand , rock the bike and the kick stand will collapse bike wants to fall over :nixweiss:

Coake

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

Re: kick stand story on my breakout
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »

... heard a crash , looked around bike fell into the other bike...

Double ouch, I'm really sorry that happened. During the first 2 or 3 times I put my bike down on the KS in a similar situation (stand was elevated compared to the bike) and I nearly dropped it. Since then I'm crazy careful when I lean the bike over and jump off it. I see now the bike has to lean over a certain distance before the lock will be effective.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »

One week after I got my 2014 Breakout I was cleaning the wheels with the front wheel set straight rather than turned in. I got up to admire my work and while I was looking the bike fell over. Would have been on top of me had I not just walked away. No idea why. Leary ever since. The kickstand was set flat on the floor. Only difference was that I had a PVC mat under the stand. It was only 1/4 inch thick.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »

Breakouts had a bit of an odd duck when it comes to a kickstand. Not your typical Harley jiffy stand. Always make sure the kickstand clicks into the "notch" when parking the bike.
Perfect example..
there is a video floating around when the first CVO Breakout was first wheeled onto the stage for unveiling. It  fell over...

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:28:07 PM »

i was talking to a tech today, and we were  looking at the softails even the 13 rocker KS is like that, mine fell into my street glide and put a dent in the front fender :drink:

dshuman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

• CVO1: 2016 CVO PRO-STREET BREAKOUT
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »

The problem is not limited to the breakout. I had the same problem with my fatboy. I think softails all have this problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to use a board under the stand, but as noted in this thread it isn't a great idea.  If you want to be able to keep the bike closer to vertical when parked in the garage, one suggestion is to use a wheel chock, usually intended to secure bikes in trailers and pickup beds.  They work just fine on garage floors too.  In fact there are some threads around here talking about this very thing.

The stand on the '99  Dyna I had locked into a notch in the frame rail when leaned over, and it was spring loaded to return to the inboard position as soon as you took the weight off the stand.  Back then I never thought about a wheel chock so I used a floor jack when I needed the bike level.  A PITA to haul out and set up.  The chock idea would have been a godsend back then.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.