Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rear cylinder shut off  (Read 6312 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Rear cylinder shut off
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »

Have to ask, what is the deal on rear cylinder cut-out effecting compensator?

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »

My theory (and yes only a theory) is when EITMS is active it is the equivalent of you trying to pedal a bicycle with only one foot on a pedal. I think that puts a tremendous strain on the crankshaft and the compensator.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »

Compensator is used as a shock absorber between drive train and clutch.  If bike is not in gear is not under a load.  When rear cylinder is shut down, it's function is basically that of an air pump.  Not aware of any excess stress on crank or compensator due to rear cylinder shut down.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mchertel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »

Compensator is used as a shock absorber between drive train and clutch.  If bike is not in gear is not under a load.  When rear cylinder is shut down, it's function is basically that of an air pump.  Not aware of any excess stress on crank or compensator due to rear cylinder shut down.

Right, and the cylinder is not really shutdown, just the injection is stopped and so as you say it's just pumping air so mechanically with regards to the drive train it's the same as during ignition. 

sail

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Black Garnet/Electric Red Pearl w/ Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »

I'm having a FuelPak installed next week and wonder if that disables it. I had turned mine off on the 2014 Limited but then again, I had a FuelPak on that too. 

I do notice the cooling fans run frequently on the 2017 CVO, whereas the 2014 Limited's fans rarely ran. I'm thinking they lowered the temp activation. Anyone else notice that? 

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »

In 2015 they changed the threshold so the fans will come on at an outside air (ambient air) temp of 80 degrees, regardless of engine temp.

sail

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Black Garnet/Electric Red Pearl w/ Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

Thanks!  Good to know.  I guess the real issue is oil temp and I don't have a temp guage yet.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »

I'm having a FuelPak installed next week and wonder if that disables it. I had turned mine off on the 2014 Limited but then again, I had a FuelPak on that too. 

I do notice the cooling fans run frequently on the 2017 CVO, whereas the 2014 Limited's fans rarely ran. I'm thinking they lowered the temp activation. Anyone else notice that?

Am currently in Blueridge Georgia riding the curves on vacation. Friend of mine is with me on his M8 107 EITMS enabled. My 2015 110 disabled for the first time this week because it sounded like it was coming apart each time it kicked on at the beginning of our trip.

I notice that when we stop and shut down, his fans will always be running. Mine will either run for half the time or not at all. Don't plan on turing mine back on.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »

I have a fuel pak. . I do use the the feature because it's so hot here. . It works fine.  You shouldn't have problems problems due to that. . Stuart
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.