Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: 2017 CVO Ltd Stage 4 sumping issue...HD shipping new design oil pump to dealer  (Read 44080 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

18K already Dave? You must be retired! :2vrolijk_21:

I just got back from a 4300 mile 10 state ride on my 2017. A few 600 mile days, and one 700 miler in under 10 hours.
Miles and miles of cruise set over 90 mph. And for the record, my crank run out is .006, not quite oil pump friendly.
Zero issues with anything.

You guys need to stop all this doom and gloom stuff, your going to jinx me and Dave!

Steve

Steve,

I work offshore, so I have a good schedule.  I work 21 days, then get 21 days off.  I loose a day of my off time traveling to and from work.  The bad, at work its 13 hours a day, seven days a week, can't go home.  The good, lots of time off.

I'm sure the bike will have over 21K on it before its a year old.  My 15 had 24500 on it when it turned 1.  Did a 6800 mile trip in 16 days on that one.

Just curious what you're seeing for fuel mileage/range with the new engine at the higher speeds.  My '15 drops like a rock above 70 and goes down into the 20's if I set the cruise at 85.  I'm just wondering if the new engine is more tolerant of the higher loads?

I get pretty good mpg.  All back roads speeds 55 to 65 mph I average 47~48 mpg.  Interstate with the speedometer at 80 mph, I get 43~44 mpg.  My worst tank was 41.4 mpg.  High wind, high speed and hills.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

Just back from Sturgis on my 2010 CVO Ultra which ran incredible. Simply remarkable 5600 mile trip around the Great Lakes and all the highlights of riding at Sturgis. On my return trip, I had multiple conversations with the HD Dealer Rep that inspected my 2017 CVO Limited with its 2nd engine that failed after sumping. The 2nd engine only had 500 miles on it. 200 miles were stock and 300miles were with the second stage 4 kit that MoCo paid to have installed. The second engine had 3qts of oil in the crankcase (yes, I said 3QTS out of the total 4qts in the engine - no engine lights at all) after about 50 highway miles at normal interstate speeds (70-80mph). Rods, pistons and crank were stiff after disassembly and inspection. Lifters were very black from overheating.

So HD's resolution was to authorize a 3rd 114 engine for my 2017 CVO Limited plus all installation costs. Plus a 3rd Stage 4 kit and all labor costs. Plus they are putting a 7 yr HD ESP with wheel and tire coverage on the ’17 bike at no charge. The new engine arrives on Monday. Plus they are sending one of the install engineers from Milwaukee to supervise the installation with the tech from my dealership. They also offered to give me full credit on the Stage 4 kit if I decided to go back to stock. I’m contemplating keeping it stock so I can trade it in for a new 2018 CVO Touring bike. Rumor has it HD may be going to a new monoshock frame that might mean larger saddlebags. If they launch a 2018 CVO RG Ultra, I’ll consider a trade-in on a 2018, then apply the credit for the stage 4 kit and apply the 7yr ESP to the new bike. Given the dealership has certainly made out well on all the engine replacements, they will hopefully consider a "thin" deal to get me into a new bike to keep me reasonably "whole". If the new 2018 bikes are nothing special, I’ll upgrade the ’17 bike back to the Stage 4 and run the crap out of it.

After the third engine, if I keep it and it fails again, I would pursue all my costs (minus the miles used) under NJ “lemon” laws which are some of the most consumer friendly in the US. Supposedly they’ve identified and corrected the sumping issue in the latest engines being shipped. Who knows?? The 2017 bike is terrific….when its running…. so we’ll see where this all ends up after the new 2018 bikes are announced on Aug 21.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:16:13 PM by Heatwave »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3

Thanks for sharing and the best of luck to you sir.  :2vrolijk_21:  It pays to have a backup bike at times like this.

Ride On

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

hope they get this lined out for you...and was it the pool boy that gave you the inside on the new frame set up for 18  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

mark

Out of curiosity, why would you stick your hand back in the snake hole after being bitten?  I'm reminded of that axiom about insanity defined: "repeating the same behavior over and over, but expecting a different result."  The 2017 was problematic, so you're considering a 2018?  HD has "supposedly" fixed the sumping issue (just like they fixed the compensator, lifters, etc. on the 110?).  Why would you consider purchasing another HD if you might have to invoke a lemon law on your current bike?  I wish you all the luck in the world, but sometimes we need to step back and listen to ourselves.   

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Out of curiosity, why would you stick your hand back in the snake hole after being bitten?  I'm reminded of that axiom about insanity defined: "repeating the same behavior over and over, but expecting a different result."  The 2017 was problematic, so you're considering a 2018?  HD has "supposedly" fixed the sumping issue (just like they fixed the compensator, lifters, etc. on the 110?).  Why would you consider purchasing another HD if you might have to invoke a lemon law on your current bike?  I wish you all the luck in the world, but sometimes we need to step back and listen to ourselves.   

Outstanding questions for sure!! I've looked at the Indian Roadmaster as well as the new 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Intercontinental. Both are very worthy contenders for alot less money and potentially higher value with more features.

In fact in stock mode, the Yamaha has all the torque and features of a CVO Limited WITH a Stage 4 kit. Plus it has electric power forward and reverse for parking. Plus a 5 yr warranty. Plus electric windshield and adjustable floorboards for taller riders. Plus its easily $20K less once you include the stage 4 kit in the price of the CVO. The only thing its missing is the liquid cooled heads. I sat on it and operated the electric parking assist. Outstanding design. I didn't have time for a test ride.

The Indian certainly stands out as "different" with beautiful paint. It was highly promoted at Sturgis. Even more so than HD. I even saw a show being filmed by the History Channel on the new Indian while I was at Sturgis. Its available with a stage 2 kit that gets the performance close to a CVO with stage 4 kit. Plus it has the backing of a well known, large, quality manufacturer in Polaris.

I checked out both bikes at Sturgis. But my money and riding legacy is currently invested in HD. Trade-in value at my local dealer (who has been very supportive through the entire fiasco) would be a major determining factor in staying with HD. But the biggest factor will be what HD launches for 2018 next Monday. If its just more of the same without trying to step ahead of the competition, than a "clear-eyed" decision will need to be made. Either way, I need to get this 2017 CVO fully operational with a new stock motor, the credit for the Stage 4 kit on my account plus the 7yr ESP applied to the bike and then I need to really consider the available options on the market. I would still be a Harley owner with my 2010 CVO Ultra but maybe its time to diversify the portfolio!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:39:11 PM by Heatwave »

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE,
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE, 2017 FLHXSE, 2018 FLTRXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLTRXSE, 2020 FLHTKSE, 2021 FLTRXSE

I also have a 2017 CVO streetglide, Harley stage 4 kit installed. My bike has been wet sumped 4 times. My local dealer that installed kit said he couldn't get it to do it. Couldn't drain any oil out. However every time I ride it wet sumps. I drained out 1-3/4 quarts of oil. My dealer is playing stupid. Anyone at Harley direct that I can speak to? 
Any major damage to engine.
Should I demand a new engine right off the top. Or let them go thru the B/S.
I have been very patient with the dealer, also been watching this and the other thread for sometime now to try to see how to approach the next move?
Defend the 2nd Amendment with your life

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

I also have a 2017 CVO streetglide, Harley stage 4 kit installed. My bike has been wet sumped 4 times. My local dealer that installed kit said he couldn't get it to do it. Couldn't drain any oil out. However every time I ride it wet sumps. I drained out 1-3/4 quarts of oil. My dealer is playing stupid. Anyone at Harley direct that I can speak to? 
Any major damage to engine.
Should I demand a new engine right off the top. Or let them go thru the B/S.
I have been very patient with the dealer, also been watching this and the other thread for sometime now to try to see how to approach the next move?

Start at the dealer. Take the bike on the highway for 20-30 miles after its warmed up. Downshift for passing. Ride at highway speeds 70-80. Turn around and ride back to dealer directly. Ride the bike right to the service bay and ask them to to pull the Crank position sensor and measure the crankcase oil before the idling can remove the oil in the crankcase. If there's less than 3 oz, your bike isn't sumping. If it has more, tell them to read sb1450.

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

I have tried that but every time I arrive at the dealer they don't make time for me to do it right away. I did record it this afternoon myself. I had almost 2-qts of oil drain out.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

I have tried that but every time I arrive at the dealer they don't make time for me to do it right away. I did record it this afternoon myself. I had almost 2-qts of oil drain out.

Do you have another dealer in your area?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

Kind of, but I passed on them to have this dealer do the install. Now they really don't want to help.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Don't let the dealership jerk you around, go over their head and call Harley direct.  The customer service phone number is in the owners manual, but I'll save you some time:   1-800-258-2464

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

any one have a stock motor that is sumping ? or is this only the motors with stage kits
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

any one have a stock motor that is sumping ? or is this only the motors with stage kits

A 2017 RGS With only a stage 1 was reported today as having sumping:

"I have a stage 1 2017 RGS 11,000 miles purchased in Oct 2016 and the bike is at the dealer being evaluated under M1450 (I assume) They checked the level yesterday and counted 7 oz so they are now following the process. My issue was oil spray suddenly appearing on the front right exhaust and foot platform.

mark

Video yourself checking the amount of oil that drains out, then contact HD, offer them the video and tell them the dealer is failing to honor your warranty. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.