Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Familiar Jacksonville FL?  (Read 1331 times)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone Familiar Jacksonville FL?
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »

I have a chance to possible get a job and move to Jacksonville Fl.  I live outside of Atlanta and have lived in Savannah Ga before and loved it.  Is Jacksonville a good place to live?  What about riding and the whole motorcycle family there?  Just looking for insights as I ponder next steps.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Anyone Familiar Jacksonville FL?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »

I have a chance to possible get a job and move to Jacksonville Fl.  I live outside of Atlanta and have lived in Savannah Ga before and loved it.  Is Jacksonville a good place to live?  What about riding and the whole motorcycle family there?  Just looking for insights as I ponder next steps.

Nice place to live...been here going on 23 years and enjoy it.

You can be back in ATL in 4-5 hrs by car, VA, DC, MD in 8hrs. The Carolinas and the mountains in 7-8 hrs.

Air travel is convenient with links through ATL to virtually anywhere.

Locally there is about 870k people and not too much traffic comparatively with ATL's never ending traffic jam.

GOOD and easily accessed Interstates I-95,  I-77 I-10

Very good beaches and easy access to Daytona and all points south to Key West (365 miles).

Daytona 90 minutes, Orlando 1 1/12 hrs, Tampa/ St. Pete 2 1/2 hrs

Good motorcycle riding access to virtually any kind of riding that "floats your boat" due to the above.

SEASONS---SUMMER 80's to occasional low 90's SPRING, FALL (nice) Humidity better than ATL and if you live near the ocean it's way down around 4-5pm. LOT's of boating and fishing with the ocean and St. Johns River--etc. close by.

Regards

Jerry

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »

Good area, my old company had plans to transfer me there until those plans changed.  My son lived in Jax Beach for a while.  Not sure if you have kids - if so as anywhere if public schools are what you are looking for some areas are lots better than others.  For homes when we were looking - looked mostly south of Duval County, had a friend in Orange Park at the time, nice suburb.  Looked south from OP all the way to St. Augustine, some great areas.  Also looked some in the beach communities (Jax, Neptune) and up to Fernandina Beach. Lots of variety as to neighborhoods.

Riding is good, 12 month season.  South along the St. Johns River there are some good roads. Not too crowded once you get out of town on the smaller roads. Rains a lot, but that is true for most all of Florida. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »

Wife grew up in Mandarin and she loved it there, still have family there we go see once in a while. I don't like cities at all but the suburb areas south of the loop were really nice, and quiet.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »

Had an ex-boss and great friend there from 1995 to 2008.  He and his wife loved J'ville.  They came from Denver and were not looking forward to living in Florida.  Company moved them back to Denver in 2008 and they were devastated going back to Colorado...J'ville had grown on them.
Coming from GA, you will benefit from no state income tax in FL.... ;D

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  The housing seems lower than ATL and I like no state income tax.  When I go to the interviews I will be checking the area out.  So far it sounds pretty good.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  The housing seems lower than ATL and I like no state income tax.  When I go to the interviews I will be checking the area out.  So far it sounds pretty good.

Don't know where your job will be located but;

SCHOOLS-- Stay in St. Johns County (When the kids and grand kids decide to move back in) and housing value appreciation.

HOUSING-- Definitely south of the city.  There is lots of new construction going on the areas like Nocotee and Bartrum. In addition the existing housing and market values are better there.

Regards

mark

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

SCHOOLS-- Stay in St. Johns County (When the kids and grand kids decide to move back in) and housing value appreciation.

HOUSING-- Definitely south of the city.  There is lots of new construction going on the areas like Nocotee and Bartrum. In addition the existing housing and market values are better there.

Regards

I concur.  I live about an hour or so north of Jax.  Nassau or St Johns County (the counties above and below Jax) are where the growth is.  Like most urban areas, the Jax schools are slipping, crime is an issue, and the tax base is leaving for better areas, like Nassau and St Johns counties.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »

Regards

X3.  Wife is a teacher, when we looked there we looked at almost anything but Duval County for schools.   The city of Jax is Duval County, if memory is correct.  St. Johns - south - is where we looked most.  Nasau County ok too.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »

Great to know!  We had somehow ended up looking in that area by mistake (via on-line).  Thanks again for the info.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »

I was Stationed in Mayport FL from 1996 until 2001 when I retired from the USN.

Guess I have a different take, after transferring to Jacksonville from Charleston SC.

I hated Jacksonville.  First year we rented a nice home in Orange Park, hated the commute and the traffic, and the rude people in Orange Park.  We move and built a beautiful home on just over three Acres in North Jacksonville, great neighborhood and second best school in the county, and no bussing un like the south side where the best school was and lots of bussing kids to minority schools.  I did not find Jacksonville to be a friendly city, but that could be because I was a sailor

While I loved our home, our neighborhood I still did not like Jacksonville.  I did not like the riding much either, as roads are pretty much flat and straight.  The area was not all that great for boating or jet skiing either. 

I listed our home 3 months before I retired. This was after being offered a GS-12 Civil service job, which is great pay and benefits, turned the job down as I wanted out of Jacksonville.   It sold in five months for 60K more than I have invested in it.  I am glad to be out of Jacksonville.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »

Thanks for the information.  We have been looking at homes and have two days with the real estate agent in August when I interview.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 21 queries.