Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Information for all of you? Feedback  (Read 2065 times)

CT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Information for all of you? Feedback
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »

This may not be on the correct thread. Please move if needed.

I have a 2016 CVO Street Glide. I have had it for 1 year and has 16,235 miles on it. While traveling down to the bay area the engine expired. Here are a couple of items that I wanted to pass along to all of you. This occurred on a Sunday. I called the number on the card that they give you for roadside issues. They are closed on Sunday. So that was no help. Its a good thing that the group that I was traveling had all had AAA. We got the bike back home. HD only covers $200.00 in towing.

So after 1 week HD made the decision to replace the long block. I am good with it as when the engine went south it didn't sound good. Here is my hang up. They will not replace the oil cooler. Does that not seem odd? They told me that they are going to flush it out. The cooler cannot come apart so how do they know all the material is removed. They also will not redyno the bike. I love that. "Here we offer this service. Our engine blew up. But we wont cover that" and then as you can imagine they want me to bring the bike back for the 1000 mile oil change. (I change the oil normally). Are you kidding me? Your engine blew up and I have to pay you for another oil change? Keep in mind I had just changed the oil before the trip. (Amsoil). And to top it all off I have been without my scoot for 4 weeks. Any feedback would be great.
CT
2016 SG CVO

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Information for all of you? Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »

Are they wanting to change your oil so they can have the old oil checked for contamination? Otherwise do it yourself.

Thanks for reporting. These engine failures sure make ya wonder, hope Harley's new M8 has a better track record.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »

This may not be on the correct thread. Please move if needed.

I have a 2016 CVO Street Glide. I have had it for 1 year and has 16,235 miles on it. While traveling down to the bay area the engine expired. Here are a couple of items that I wanted to pass along to all of you. This occurred on a Sunday. I called the number on the card that they give you for roadside issues. They are closed on Sunday. So that was no help. Its a good thing that the group that I was traveling had all had AAA. We got the bike back home. HD only covers $200.00 in towing.

So after 1 week HD made the decision to replace the long block. I am good with it as when the engine went south it didn't sound good. Here is my hang up. They will not replace the oil cooler. Does that not seem odd? They told me that they are going to flush it out. The cooler cannot come apart so how do they know all the material is removed. They also will not redyno the bike. I love that. "Here we offer this service. Our engine blew up. But we wont cover that" and then as you can imagine they want me to bring the bike back for the 1000 mile oil change. (I change the oil normally). Are you kidding me? Your engine blew up and I have to pay you for another oil change? Keep in mind I had just changed the oil before the trip. (Amsoil). And to top it all off I have been without my scoot for 4 weeks. Any feedback would be great.

First off, it sucks that your new bike blew up. I have the similar bike (CVO Limited) and just was up in the bay area 3 weeks ago.
If I'm not mistaken I thought that the CVO SG was twin cooled like mine, thus no oil cooler.
I would think the dealer could do the repairs needed quicker than over 4 weeks, but, other issues may come into play there.
Don't know exactly went bad on your bike, but depending on whatever went through the engine it can be repaired/replaced at HD's discretion, you can always call the factory and ask.
I'm thinking if this would have happened to me, I would leave the bike at the dealer, fly home (SoCal) and ride my other bike (I have that option, sounds like you don't).
Keep the faith and let us know how everything works out.
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

CT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »

Are they wanting to change your oil so they can have the old oil checked for contamination? Otherwise do it yourself.

Thanks for reporting. These engine failures sure make ya wonder, hope Harley's new M8 has a better track record.

After break it in (1000 miles). It just baffles me that they want me to flip the bill for this.
CT
2016 SG CVO

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »

I'm not sure if this is your first HD or not but if it is, welcome to the wonderful world of Harley Davidson ownership.  If it's not your first Harley then the feedback would be "you expected something different?" 

I am being a bit smart in my response but I'm not trying to be harsh here.  It's a sorry state of affairs that anything like this happens at any time with any kind of product from any manufacturing company.  However, there are all kinds of threads on this and other sites with folks that have the same issues and yet, we keep on purchasing them anyway expecting different results with the latest/greatest offering.  Harley Davidson is Harley Davidson and no matter who is piloting the ship, the course is the same....make money.  Sometimes that philosophy works for both the company and consumer.  Other times, the company seems responsible for just themselves.  I'm always happy when competition enters into the picture.  Harley has noticed it and is attempting to work on customer focus more but they have a long way to go....it just took them 115 years... :huepfenlol2:

My one suggestion is what I believe we would all suggest.  Have all the documentation in hand (contact names, dealerships, warranty claim numbers, etc) and contact HD customer service with this issue.  Explain to them what you have already stated in the replacement of the oil cooler and other oil related parts.  Be firm but nice with them and if you don't get the answer you want or the explanation you think is correct, go up the chain.  Documentation and reporting issues like this are really the only thing we have as consumers to "fight back" as it were before entering into the legal realm.

As for your issues with the towing, yep HOG doesn't pay much for towing services or trip interruption.  It's handy to have in your pocket though.  AAA or in some cases your vehicle insurance may be a better route for things such as this.

I can see the oil change requirement after the 1,000 miles but it should be on the dealer/MoCo and not you.  This would be another issue to bring to HD customer service when you call them.

CT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »

First off, it sucks that your new bike blew up. I have the similar bike (CVO Limited) and just was up in the bay area 3 weeks ago.
If I'm not mistaken I thought that the CVO SG was twin cooled like mine, thus no oil cooler.
I would think the dealer could do the repairs needed quicker than over 4 weeks, but, other issues may come into play there.
Don't know exactly went bad on your bike, but depending on whatever went through the engine it can be repaired/replaced at HD's discretion, you can always call the factory and ask.
I'm thinking if this would have happened to me, I would leave the bike at the dealer, fly home (SoCal) and ride my other bike (I have that option, sounds like you don't).
Keep the faith and let us know how everything works out.
JMHO
 8)

Yes it has an oil cooler. One of the reasons that it takes so long is that HD has to approve all the repairs. And since the long block is being replaced the VIN has to match. So Im sure that that's one of the reasons it takes longer. Yeah I have one 1 bike. This is the first time in almost 30 years that I have had an engine issue on my bikes.

CT
2016 SG CVO

CT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »

Yes it has an oil cooler. One of the reasons that it takes so long is that HD has to approve all the repairs. And since the long block is being replaced the VIN has to match. So Im sure that that's one of the reasons it takes longer. Yeah I have one 1 bike. This is the first time in almost 30 years that I have had an engine issue on my bikes.

Thanks for the feedback Haird
CT
2016 SG CVO

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »

The 2016 FLHXSE didn't come from the factory with an oil cooler (none of the Twin Cooled bikes do), so I assume you must have added an aftermarket oil cooler.  A manufacturer isn't going to replace aftermarket parts under the factory warranty.  As for the tune, unless they flash your ECM back to the stock calibration you will still have the same tune you had when the engine failed.  The manufacturer isn't going to pay for another tune, especially since it is very likely the tune doesn't comply with emission standards.

It sucks that your engine failed, but you are joining a large and ever growing fraternity.  It also sucks that they haven't expedited the repairs (it doesn't take much time at all to stamp a VIN on a long block and ship it).  Odds are the delay is more of a dealership thing, but I doubt they will admit that.  I've heard of people having complete engines shipped from H-D and having them installed and back on the road in a week, so I know it's possible.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »

Had the same problem when my 2012's motor crapped out. H-D would not pay to replace the factory oem oil cooler. I did so on my dime because tech agreed with me that flushing it was problematic. Sucks you have to pay but I viewed it as cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »

I'd propose that you tell the dealer that you will change the oil with the oil and filter you choose and bring it down for them to verify.  Using aftermarket parts does not void a vehicle warranty (by law).  I'd personally be ok with flushing out the oil cooler but that is your call, but you realistically cannot expect a replacement at no charge, IMHO.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »

Not sure what is going on here but unless you installed it the bike does not have an oil cooler, assuming it is what you say it is and it does have a oil cooler you installed, NO manufacturer of any car or bike will buy you another one. It was owner installed, really not there problem. I am really surprised the dealer is willing to flush and reuse with a new motor. I wouldn't if I were him, unless I charged you for this service. He is not being paid to clean a owner installed anything by warranty. I understand this was not your fault but warranty is specific in most cases and I never saw one that included services like you are wanting. That saying, I would be unhappy just like you are.

Mickle

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Gold Rush CVO FLHTKSE, sold.
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Anniversary FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »

I'd propose that you tell the dealer that you will change the oil with the oil and filter you choose and bring it down for them to verify.  Using aftermarket parts does not void a vehicle warranty (by law).  I'd personally be ok with flushing out the oil cooler but that is your call, but you realistically cannot expect a replacement at no charge, IMHO.

Agree, its a cooler not a filter, so after a thorough flush out it wont contain any contaminants. 

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.