Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Closed vs Open Trailer  (Read 1305 times)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
Closed vs Open Trailer
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:16 PM »

I'm trying to decided on an open or enclosed trailer, and it's now down to gas mileage, what are your numbers on Diesel mileage towing a trailer and not ??
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:08:41 PM by The Bolvine Gigolo! »

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Re: Closed vs Open Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:42:28 PM »

I'm trying to decided on an open or enclosed trailer, and it's now down to gas mileage, what are your numbers on Diesel mileage towing a trailer and not ??

I've pulled trailers weekly for 20+ years, never once pondered fuel mileage when buying (or building in my case) a trailer.  I get what I want/need and the truck mpg is what it is.  A lot of factors go into how a trailer pulls.  I have a 24 ft 102in wide enclosed that gets better mileage loaded with 10k lbs than it gets empty.  I've pulled a 12x6 5 ft tall enclosed dual axle that was BY FAR the hardest pulling trailer I've ever pulled, 3-4 mpg empty.  We kept stopping to check if the brakes were locked up or bearings out.  Thing was brand new, just pulled like a boat anchor.

My point is, get what you want/need, not what someone else gets good MPG with.  If you're using a diesel to pull a bike trailer, you shouldn't even know it's back there.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »

I have a 5x10 enclosed trailer with a v nose and a slant front.  Custom built to 6'6" overall height.  Towing with a 2016 Silverado Diesel.  16-19 MPG on the highway depending upon how fast I want to get there.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »

I've pulled an Ironhorse https://www.ironhorsetrailers.com single for three years with a diesel and barely know it's there. They aren't cheap, but retain their value very well.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »

At different times I've had an Excalibur single and an Ironhorse dual.  Both were great.  Even pulled behind a V6 pickup the mileage loss was negligible and the vehicles barely knew the trailers were behind them.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:04:41 AM »

Buy a Ironhorse. If u bought it new u paid at least 7k extra for that diesel. Forget about fuel mileage & use the power.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »

So what does a  2 bike trailer cost  with tandem wheels? Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 05:41:43 PM »

The cost of a trailer varies. When we were looking for a trailer the cheapest tandem axel trailer we found new was $3600 but most of the ones we looked at were right around $4000 to $4800. We didn't go with the $3600 one cause it seemed cheap and the salesman at the dealer seemed like he had better things to do when I was trying to talk to home about it, made me feel like I was waistline his time.  We bought a trailer made by stealth trailers. It has a wedge nose with a slant roof.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.